One reason why AMD GPU's will not die out any time soon

The main reason being that they are used in consoles 

I'm not trying to start a flame war but just trying to make a point 

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Yoda-Flame-war-begun.jpg

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

But its gonna get to a point were manufacturers will see the benefits of going to nvidia soon, more powerful gpu with a smaller power/heat output. I mean think of it this way, even a 750ti right now is gonna be more powerful then console graphics, and produce less heat. They just need to built it into a console and once 1 company does it, it will catch on really fast

I fail to see how that means they won't die out.

Consoles aren't particularly profitable for AMD. 

But its gonna get to a point were manufacturers will see the benefits of going to nvidia soon, more powerful gpu with a smaller power/heat output. I mean think of it this way, even a 750ti right now is gonna be more powerful then console graphics, and produce less heat. They just need to built it into a console and once 1 company does it, it will catch on really fast

Integrated graphics is probably where consoles will be going to next. As it is Broadwell Iris Pro competes with an R7 240 (iirc).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

For someone whose been here as long as you have, figured youd know this is status update material.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

They are still very relevant in low, mid and high end range, not so relevant in enthusiast range, but most sales happen in the mid-low end range, so they got that covered.

People will always buy what offers most bang for the buck. :)

They use APU's in consoles.

(At least XB1 and PS4)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I agree that they won't die out soon but disagree with your point, they designed the chips that go into consoles, but they do not build them, they would not be affected if AMD went under.

They are still very relevant in low, mid and high end range, not so relevant in enthusiast range, but most sales happen in the mid-low end range, so they got that covered.

People will always buy what offers most bang for the buck. :)

no they won't.

because of fanboys

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

no they won't.

because of fanboys

Most people do still buy the product that offers the best price/performance unless they've had a bad experience with a previous product. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

R9 380? Best for price ATM. Oh, and 8GB of VRAM for 4K crossfire? Yes please!

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

It comes down to cost.. They'll never put a desktop gpu in consoles. Why do you think they use apu's? And amd vs nvidia when it comes to performance per watt aren't that far off.

the main issue amd is having is that their employees are leaving and because of that (and other reasons) they don't do as much research and development than their competitors. but there is still bulkan, and yet no titan x to call their own (you could consider the fury x but they're in a different price and performance range)  

the main issue amd is having is that their employees are leaving and because of that (and other reasons) they don't do as much research and development than their competitors. but there is still bulkan, and yet no titan x to call their own (you could consider the fury x but they're in a different price and performance range)  

Funnily enough - Fury X beats a Titan since it thermalthrottles a lot.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I fail to see how that means they won't die out.

Consoles aren't particularly profitable for AMD. 

Integrated graphics is probably where consoles will be going to next. As it is Broadwell Iris Pro competes with an R7 240 (iirc).

fail..

Broadwell = R7 260 (roghly 15-20% better then a R7 250)

Kaveri = R7 250 (a slightly underclocked one)

atleast get one thing right!!

aren't they... not aloud to die because of Anti-Trust laws?

aren't they... not aloud to die because of Anti-Trust laws?

There's still Intel, so I'm not so sure it would qualify under anti-trust laws. 

fail..

Broadwell = R7 260 (roghly 15-20% better then a R7 250)

Kaveri = R7 250 (a slightly underclocked one)

atleast get one thing right!!

Someone sounds pissy today. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Nvidia doesnt have a more powerful GPU.... not even close

to give you an idea....

750 Ti  loses to the R9 265

950 ties the 270X

960 flat out loses to the R9 380

970 ties/loses to the 390

980 beats the 390X (but that is cheaper) but loses to the Fury (bit more expensive)

980Ti/TitanX beats Fury X...

so in this whole linup of cards only ONE GPU, basically the only GPU Nvidia hasnt cut down, is the strongest one...

consoles CANNOT have full fledges GPUs... use your brain man. a Console is what? 400 USD?

a 980Ti is 650 USD.....

So for Nvidia to even get remotely close to AMD in terms of performance, they must make a high performance low cost GPU... WHICH THEY DONT HAVE!

Incidentally, the PS4s intergrated GPU is a slightly nerfed 270X.... so not even the GPU Nvidia can pit against it, price wise, can match it. Let alone the fact that NOTHING intel has on the market ATM is able to compete with the PS4's iGPU (that being said, teh CPU in that APU is truly terrible)....

Nvidia doesnt make CPU + GPU combos, they make standalone cards. And for a console, that is a very expensive choice to make these days. The more components you have to "plug in" the more complex the mobo has to be. Thus the more expensive the console will be to produce.

A console cannot break the 500 USD mark for the basic version, because if it does, a PC is simply better!!!

There's still Intel, so I'm not so sure it would qualify under anti-trust laws. 

Someone sounds pissy

perhaps, I'm not exactly sure they would classify as a "Graphics Card Vendor" because if AMD falls, it'll be in two departments,

CPU & GPU, and then Intel will have a conflict on there hands as potentially well as NVidia. 

AMD won't die tho. Everyone knows it.

As to the last part, sorry I'm a bit tired, had a really long day, lifes really stressful atm