Project Locus - Exploration of the Stanton System

Updated with More information

I want to start looking into the Exploration end of the Org.  To do this I want to do a Pilot Survey of the Stanton system once 2.0 is released.

This is being rolled into Operation Eden, I am hoping to learn some lessons about how to organize, gather and analyze information within Star Citizen.  Obviously I expect CIG to offer up some systems for this as time goes so what I was hoping to flesh out was how we organize and deploy.  The consolidation, distribution, and analysis of data will be considered a bit of a placeholder for now but will be integral in showing our results.

What I am suggesting is we organize into exploration groups (wings) of 1-5 ships.  Those groups will then be assigned segments of the system to survey.  All data will be reported back to a Google Doc - (http://goo.gl/forms/jbT6tJh064).  I think we will need to determine how we assign segments and if a wing can take on more than one segment at a time.

I also think we should establish some metrics to analyze pre and post engagement to establish efficacy of the model.

This thread needs to flesh out the following:

• Is this a good idea?
  • How should we handle recruitment/Wing Assignment?
  • What are out metrics for success?
  • What is the Structure (I think we can operate less hierarchically than the Military Branch)
  • What information should we collect?

Hi @Geekavenger

Project Eden was ment to test everything in the baby PU, we where starting with military then exploration and so forth.

I'm rewriting the OP in Project Eden (becoming Operation Eden) and would love to branch your project into it, basically pointing explorers to this thread.

If you'd be happy to be part of the Op of course

+1, I think this is a great idea, I am totally on board with this! Would love to see a lot more of these operations come to play, really brings out the crowd that we have behind us!

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Hi @Geekavenger

Project Eden was ment to test everything in the baby PU, we where starting with military then exploration and so forth.

I'm rewriting the OP in Project Eden (becoming Operation Eden) and would love to branch your project into it, basically pointing explorers to this thread.

If you'd be happy to be part of the Op of course

I would absolutely love to be folded into the Op.  Chances are in the PU we will need to coordinate with the Military to survey dangerous systems anyway. 

I would absolutely love to be folded into the Op. Chances are in the PU we will need to coordinate with the Military to survey dangerous systems anyway.

OK bare with me over the weekend, spending time with my family comes first, I'll update everything soon

Those groups will then be assigned segments of the system to survey.  All data will be reported back to a Google Doc - (to be added later to this thread).

I'd be against that in the long run since any random registered user for the forums can see this subforum and any/all data posted to it.

-This space intentionally left blank-

I'd be against that in the long run since any random registered user for the forums can see this subforum and any/all data posted to it.

Yeah I agree, long run I am assuming information access will be built into a system within the game.  I also think that it will have to play into the jobs board functionality somewhat.  Like we will pay independant contractors to take on portions of the survey in exchange for exclusive rights to the data or something... we will have to wait until CIG releases a design doc on it to find out

There are ways of making it so that randos can't see tons of stuff.

Yeah I agree, long run I am assuming information access will be built into a system within the game. I also think that it will have to play into the jobs board functionality somewhat. Like we will pay independant contractors to take on portions of the survey in exchange for exclusive rights to the data or something... we will have to wait until CIG releases a design doc on it to find out

You can't rely on the in game system until its in game even then you cant map unknown territory. What I suggest creating a map in gimp and allowing the members of the org to download and edit it, save it in GIMPS default file as that allows layers meaning people can update it weekly and you can merge it together. Don't have access it imgur so can't show you the prototype I had.

Just one thing that bugs me, Malum is evil, wrong doing in Latin and plucking the fruit of the tree is mining or trading.

I'd go for Stella (star) or Locus (space), day 4 of 7. But it doesn't have to be related.

You can't rely on the in game system until its in game even then you cant map unknown territory. What I suggest creating a map in gimp and allowing the members of the org to download and edit it, save it in GIMPS default file as that allows layers meaning people can update it weekly and you can merge it together. Don't have access it imgur so can't show you the prototype I had.

Just one thing that bugs me, Malum is evil, wrong doing in Latin and plucking the fruit of the tree is mining or trading.

I'd go for Stella (star) or Locus (space), day 4 of 7. But it doesn't have to be related.

I am pretty sure in some of the 10 for the chairmans at least they have expressed a desire to have information sharing/protecting at an org level part of the game play... I realize we can't count on that.  Until then a map in GIMP would be a solid solution.

As for name, it also means apple which is why I chose it, but I see how it is problematic, also I see the greater parallel with a mining op as well.  Originally I was thinking Project Arbor, named after the tree of knowledge but since Arbor day is a thing it felt less referential, and more dumb.  But yeah I am up for renaming it to whatever.  Staying on the Latin theme how about Project Scisco (latin for seek to know).  I also like Locus but it sounds a lot like Locust.... 

Anyway back on topic, I think the crux of your point is that information will be valuable and we will need structures in place to protect that information in order for it to retain or produce its value regardless of what is or is not put into the game systematically. Loose lips sink stock portfolios. 

I am pretty sure in some of the 10 for the chairmans at least they have expressed a desire to have information sharing/protecting at an org level part of the game play... I realize we can't count on that. Until then a map in GIMP would be a solid solution.

As for name, it also means apple which is why I chose it, but I see how it is problematic, also I see the greater parallel with a mining op as well. Originally I was thinking Project Arbor, named after the tree of knowledge but since Arbor day is a thing it felt less referential, and more dumb. But yeah I am up for renaming it to whatever. Staying on the Latin theme how about Project Scisco (latin for seek to know). I also like Locus but it sounds a lot like Locust....

Anyway back on topic, I think the crux of your point is that information will be valuable and we will need structures in place to protect that information in order for it to retain or produce its value regardless of what is or is not put into the game systematically. Loose lips sink stock portfolios.

I like Locus, like locomotion, get the org on the move, the good thing is currently we don't think we have spies, if we did we could kept the file in an encrypted zip or something.

Thing is you could eventually have layers for mining spots or high military activity so the maps benefit everyone

Project Locus it is.  I am not sure how to rename the Post.... do we need an admin to do that?  

So currently we have the plan to:

• Collect information in some secure way
  • Consolidate that information in a GIMP File organized as a Map
  • Publish UOLTT Official Maps to Affiliates and Members
  • Keep unpublished data availible to share with other Org Branches.  So, for example,  that the Mining Branch gets first dibs on resources etc.  

I think a google form initially is a better way of collecting the data rather than depending on people to be comfortable in GIMP.  Then we can have a group of Cartographers translate the data into map information.  And then publish that out either on the RSI forums or here. 

http://goo.gl/forms/0LG7U2MbnL Here is a first attempt at a form.  

I think especially if we are publishing maps, it will be important to figure out payment for Cartographers, as that sounds like a lot of work that is not playing the game...  Also some system to pay explorers, maybe based on confirmed finds, or we could issue contracts for search grids to be paid a fee upon completion of the survey (though that will require we confirm they actually did it and aren't just uploading fake data).  

Again, I have hopes that some of these mechanisms will be built into the game eventually, especially for payment.  We will see how big a factor Fuel is on these surveys too.  There could also be exploration contracts given to fleets and then let them self organize with X amount of Credits for X amount of area searched and let them optimize fuel and defense costs.

Project Locus it is.  I am not sure how to rename the Post.... do we need an admin to do that?  

So currently we have the plan to:

• Collect information in some secure way
  • Consolidate that information in a GIMP File organized as a Map
  • Publish UOLTT Official Maps to Affiliates and Members
  • Keep unpublished data availible to share with other Org Branches.  So that the Mining Branch gets first dibs on resources etc.  

I think a google form initially is a better way of collecting the data rather than depending on people to be comfortable in GIMP.  Then we can have a group of Cartographers translate the data into map information.  And then publish that out either on the RSI forums or here. 

http://goo.gl/forms/0LG7U2MbnL Here is a first attempt at a form.  

I think especially if we are publishing maps, it will be important to figure out payment for Cartographers, as that sounds like a lot of work that is not playing the game...  Also some system to pay explorers, maybe based on confirmed finds, or we could issue contracts for search grids to be paid a fee upon completion of the survey (though that will require we confirm they actually did it and aren't just uploading fake data).  

Again, I have hopes that some of these mechanisms will be built into the game eventually, especially for payment.  We will see how big a factor Fuel is on these surveys too.  There could also be exploration contracts given to fleets and then let them self organize with X amount of Credits for X amount of area searched and let them optimize fuel and defense costs.

go to the first thread, hit edit, full editor and you should be able to change the title

I endorse this idea wholeheartedly. I'd be very interested in some exploration/recon/black ops work. Of course, I don't know how and if there'll be possibilities for black ops kind of action or to what extent will the game mechanics support some kind of stealth / disruptive infiltration. But I digress, I think this thread isn't the most fitting one for discussing black ops :D

Count me in for exploration!