[DIY] Altoids USB Charger

aeroencychris

So even with the 18650 cell I'd need that board as a charge controller? The microUSB connectors I bought won't work?

Yes you absolutely must use a charge controller with an 18650, no method here will allow for a direct micro USB connection to the battery. The circuit contains also a bunch of other safety things to ensure it doesn't get damaged from discharging too far and controlling the rate at which it charges at.

Yes you absolutely must use a charge controller with an 18650, no method here will allow for a direct micro USB connection to the battery. The circuit contains also a bunch of other safety things to ensure it doesn't get damaged from discharging too far and controlling the rate at which it charges at.

Awesome, so using that microUSB board + new battery + new holder will work. Question: how will the solar charging be managed, since it can't go into the board? Will I just deal with that not being controlled?

Awesome, so using that microUSB board + new battery + new holder will work. Question: how will the solar charging be managed, since it can't go into the board? Will I just deal with that not being controlled?

IIRC the solar panel gives off 5V so it would be able to just go through the charge controller, there are two solder points beside the micro USB which you could use for that. Only thing is if the solar panel doesn't get enough light it might not charge if the voltage drops down too low out of the 5V USB spec.

IIRC the solar panel gives off 5V so it would be able to just go through the charge controller, there are two solder points beside the micro USB which you could use for that. Only thing is if the solar panel doesn't get enough light it might not charge if the voltage drops down too low out of the 5V USB spec.

Okay, cool. Another thing: what's the B+ and B- for?

Okay, cool. Another thing: what's the B+ and B- for?

Refer back to the video where he connected everything up, the B+ and B- is where the battery is suppose to go.

Refer back to the video where he connected everything up, the B+ and B- is where the battery is suppose to go.

I'm trying to imagine where everything is going to be wired and it's kind of giving me a headache. So the solar panel goes to + and -, battery goes to B+ and B-, what goes to the other two (labeled out)? Also, where does the fullsize USB board fit into this?

I'm trying to imagine where everything is going to be wired and it's kind of giving me a headache. So the solar panel goes to + and -, battery goes to B+ and B-, what goes to the other two (labeled out)? Also, where does the fullsize USB board fit into this?

USB board?? You mean the old Nimh one you won't need it with the 18650 and this new board with the micro usb on it. the solar panel goes in at the front where the micro USB+/USB- are and the battery on the B+/B-, where your converter goes is on the OUT+/OUT-

USB board?? You mean the old Nimh one you won't need it with the 18650 and this new board with the micro usb on it. the solar panel goes in at the front where the micro USB+/USB- are and the battery on the B+/B-, where your converter goes is on the OUT+/OUT-

By converter do you mean the USB female type A board? That's what I meant by USB board (not the one in that USB battery charger thing). I mean the step up female board.

By converter do you mean the USB female type A board? That's what I meant by USB board (not the one in that USB battery charger thing). I mean the step up female board.

Yes the step up board is connected to the OUT+/OUT-, this one here that was mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-9V-5V-to-5V-DC-DC-Booster-Module-USB-Mobile-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-HC-/381384032839?hash=item58cc428247:g:oYcAAOSwT6pV5kpt

Cool, I'm using that exact same board. I'll order some of these soon.