[DIY] Altoids USB Charger

aeroencychris

Hi,

I'm sure you've all seen this sort of project before: a USB charger powered off of rechargeable batteries, housed in an Altoids tin. Pretty standard DIY project, but I'm still a beginner in basic stuff like soldering so I want a good segway into that sort of stuff. The specific project I found uses a mini solar panel to recharge the batteries. However, from what I've heard, those panels aren't great and can be pretty slow. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a microUSB charging port to the project as well, so provide input power to charge the batteries. This in addition to the solar panel would be a pretty effective charger, in my opinion. Are there places to buy such boards? I'm currently using a full size USB 5V step up board as my output (see project linked). Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Chris

usb female port and solder it in parallel 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

usb female port and solder it in parallel 

Link to such a product? I know the concept but not sure where to find it.

Edit: What does "parallel" mean? Noob at this.

Hi,

I'm sure you've all seen this sort of project before: a USB charger powered off of rechargeable batteries, housed in an Altoids tin. Pretty standard DIY project, but I'm still a beginner in basic stuff like soldering so I want a good segway into that sort of stuff. The specific project I found uses a mini solar panel to recharge the batteries. However, from what I've heard, those panels aren't great and can be pretty slow. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a microUSB charging port to the project as well, so provide input power to charge the batteries. This in addition to the solar panel would be a pretty effective charger, in my opinion. Are there places to buy such boards? I'm currently using a full size USB 5V step up board as my output (see project linked). Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Chris

You could use two disassembled 9V batteries and a stripped micro USB cable (for just the charging leads).

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Link to such a product? I know the concept but not sure where to find it.

Edit: What does "parallel" mean? Noob at this.

Im assuming this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Micro-USB-Type-B-Female-5Pin-Socket-4Legs-SMT-SMD-Soldering-Connector-/171313934014

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You could use two disassembled 9V batteries and a stripped micro USB cable (for just the charging leads).

I already have all parts besides the batteries (which are coming). Also not sure a) if I trust myself disassembling batteries and b) if 2 9V batteries will fit in an Altoids tin.

Depends how you want to assemble it but something like this will work, it works with li-po batteries instead which will provide more energy than the regular rechargable batteries:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1944

That's not quite in the DIY spirit, is it? :) I'm looking to get experience in soldering and such, and that's pretty much already made. Thanks though, I've had good experience with Adafruit in the past (besides their prices being a bit much).

I already have all parts besides the batteries (which are coming). Also not sure a) if I trust myself disassembling batteries and B) if 2 9V batteries will fit in an Altoids tin.

Disassembled they look like this: 

321171055_93dcdcc641.jpg

You can stack them and get maybe 1.5 9V batteries in there.

Don't worry about battery acid with these.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Disassembled they look like this: 

321171055_93dcdcc641.jpg

You can stack them and get maybe 1.5 9V batteries in there.

Don't worry about battery acid with these.

Might consider that in the future, but again, I already have parts coming. More concerned about the female microUSB.

Might consider that in the future, but again, I already have parts coming. More concerned about the female microUSB.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-Socket-Connector-Repair/dp/B00EZ6HZLW

You'll have to solder the leads onto these.

That's not quite in the DIY spirit, is it? :) I'm looking to get experience in soldering and such, and that's pretty much already made. Thanks though, I've had good experience with Adafruit in the past (besides their prices being a bit much).

If you want to completely DIY it you can but be sure if your charging via USB with two AA as the batteries that the incoming USB is 5V you would want to set it down to say 3.3V for charging two AA in series with say a 0.5Amp current. I'm not too sure what current regular AA take though so it would depend on the batteries you get.

That looks fine. How would I attach that to the rest of the circuit, since it has 5 pins? Also, what does parallel mean?

you solder a site to the 5v and the gnd

And parrallel in the electrical sense. Remember parallel vs serial?

If you want to completely DIY it you can but be sure if your charging via USB with two AA as the batteries that the incoming USB is 5V you would want to set it down to say 3.3V for charging two AA in series with say a 0.5Amp current. I'm not too sure what current regular AA take though so it would depend on the batteries you get.

Honestly not quite sure what all the voltages and all are in this project. I'm mostly following the guide I linked. I am using 2 AA batteries.

Solder what to those? And how would I connect all 5 pins?

You only need two for charging. The rest are for data.

you solder a site to the 5v and the gnd

And parrallel in the electrical sense. Remember parallel vs serial?

Define "site" "parallel" and "serial". Never done any of this.

You only need two for charging. The rest are for data.

Which are which? And I'm assuming I want the + and -?

yes

+ is the 5v and the - is gnd

And search up serial vs parrallel electricity

Yes.

usb_mini_b_to_female_a.jpg

Black is ground, red is power.

Honestly not quite sure what all the voltages and all are in this project. I'm mostly following the guide I linked. I am using 2 AA batteries.

For sure you want a basic charge controller since it will just keep charging if you leave it plugged in which would be bad, not to mention the extra voltage since it's 5V USB you can't directly connect to the battery pack. 

As for the micro USB here's one with a labeled board:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1833

yes

+ is the 5v and the - is gnd

And search up serial vs parrallel electricity

Just did, but I'm still very confused. What are 5v and gnd in this sense? I'm more asking which pins (1-5) should I use, and where should they hook up to?

For sure you want a basic charge controller since it will just keep charging if you leave it plugged in which would be bad, not to mention the extra voltage since it's 5V USB you can't directly connect to the battery pack. 

As for the micro USB here's one with a labeled board:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1833

This is what I'm using. Would this work? What do you mean by charge controller?

Just did, but I'm still very confused. What are 5v and gnd in this sense? I'm more asking which pins (1-5) should I use, and where should they hook up to?

pinout-microUSB1.png?3995d3

VCC (red)

GND (black)

They should hook up to the corresponding pins on the battery