2 Gamers, 1 CPU - Virtualized Gaming Build Log

For an AMD system, you need to make sure the mainboard and processor both support IOMMU (the label AMD uses in place of "VT-D").  If your motherboard doesn't have enough PCIe slots, you can always replace it with one that does (keeping your processor / RAM).

Flippen awesome video guys! 

Is this possible with an AMD rig, seeing as VT-X and VT-D are specific to intel, or are AMD's equivalents compatible?

My motherboard doesn't have 3x PCI-E slots and my FX 8320 doesn't have onboard graphics

Is there an alternative to needing a card for passthrough?

Otherwise intel here we come!

Flippen awesome video guys!

Is this possible with an AMD rig, seeing as VT-X and VT-D are specific to intel, or are AMD's equivalents compatible?

My motherboard doesn't have 3x PCI-E slots and my FX 8320 doesn't have onboard graphics

Is there an alternative to needing a card for passthrough?

Otherwise intel here we come!

AMD equivalents to Intel are AMD-V = Intel VT-x and AMD-Vi = Intel VT-d

While we have some AMD users, just know that virtualization support (mainly IOMMU) on consumer grade AMD chipsets can be spotty at best, and the upstream developers tend to test almost exclusively on Intel. So while you are free to try with AMD, any issues you may encounter may be quickly blamed on that.

I like looking at the really early posts and laughing at them.  This seems so puny compared to the 7 Gamers one.

Hey, I'm planning on building a pc like this (spec wise), do you recommend doing something like this? Should I do it? It would save me a lot of money on building an entire extra pc. Thanks

Ok I have 2 questins to this build.

1. is it practicale to do this if for a powerful day to day pc, sometimes two gamers on it.

2. Will it wwork with anything. as in 3x sli or crossfire.

Why doesn't the 2500k support VT-D  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Can't expect the market to NEVER evolve.. the market runs on money and if I hear your tone of voice, that 2500k would prolly last you 100 years wich isn't good for the market :)

Anyway to add... I've seen 100fps on a 144hz Gsync monitor (5820k) and its smooth as hell compared to my annoying cpu/monitor that has a small amount of lag (wich is annoying to competitive gamers). I'm unsure if I want to dual setup and get that lag back... wouldn't be much of an upgrade if you ask me..

Not to mention the fact that you'll feel the age of your cpu/gpu more due to higher stress on the hardware.

Ontop of that... what if the pc brakes down or starts to act up? Both users would suffer... where in the situation that there are 2 seperate pc's... one could be used as an important backup.

Anyway if I see linus setup (gtx titan x) I'm unsure if its actualy cheaper considering you'd normally get the same result with 2 gtx980ti's on seperate pcs...

instead of having to need 1 gtx980ti & 1 gtx980 titan x.

Yes you save the costs of a mainboard and ram (Lets say around 300$) but at the same time you pay about 300$ more for the gpu's & a tool to make unraid work. Not to mention the fact that Linus is using a more expensive cpu and the performance only comes close to the cheaper 5820k... so in my opinion 2 seperate pc's are cheaper when gong for a single gpu for 1080p. If you want 1440p or 4k you'd be forced to put 4 gpu's in that system.. and more gpus... I dunno... Don't want to keep in mind what would happen if 1 of those cards started malfunctioning... And that is not talking about the fact that there's no system that scales gpu power correctly (there's a loss on every card you add, so you pay more for less performance with every gpu you add).

Also (im not done).. it is widely known that directx 12 will use more cores efficiently.. so that means game's will eventualy catch up and get advantage with 6-8 cores... so end of the line for those that only use 4 cores (or share 8 with 2?). Afterall... the first core still carries the most weight and i'm unsure this kind of activity will not make it last long, or keep up.

Unless someone can prove you can get OP performance with a dual build compared to a mono build for the same money or cheaper, I will not be considering it.

I want to know "benefits" because as far as I see, you need just as much equipment and the only thing you save money on is a second pc case wich isn't worth the hassle.

Hello everyone Im thinking of converting my rig into a 2 gamers 1 CPU setup and have a few questions...

I am using two GTX 980 Ti on a Rampage V and a 5930K GPU

My first question is regarding ease of use, I will want my rig in "single user mode" most of the time and in "dual user mode" on occasion, Is there a practical way of switching between the two states, will I need to keep attaching and removing my SLI Bridge? Will I need to change my boot device if I want to boot up in "single user mode" or will I need to physically un-plug storage devices?

My MOBO manual suggest that I install my two GPU in the 1st and 3rd PCI slot but the "lame-o GPU" as Linus puts it needs to be installed in the top slot for it to be usable by un-raid. Will this cause any complications?

I am assuming I can switch between bios Profiles to enable and disable virtualization

Basically I am trying to figure out if setting a system up like this will be worthwhile or just lots of hassle with not much reward

I appreciate any help,

Thanks...

19 hours ago, jugate89 said:

i can do this with one vga card?

No, you need two dedicated graphics card for two gamers one CPU

***BUMP***

Hello everyone Im thinking of converting my rig into a 2 gamers 1 CPU setup and have a few questions...

I am using two GTX 980 Ti on a Rampage V and a 5930K GPU

My first question is regarding ease of use, I will want my rig in "single user mode" most of the time and in "dual user mode" on occasion, Is there a practical way of switching between the two states, will I need to keep attaching and removing my SLI Bridge? Will I need to change my boot device if I want to boot up in "single user mode" or will I need to physically un-plug storage devices?

My MOBO manual suggest that I install my two GPU in the 1st and 3rd PCI slot but the "lame-o GPU" as Linus puts it needs to be installed in the top slot for it to be usable by un-raid. Will this cause any complications?

I am assuming I can switch between bios Profiles to enable and disable virtualization

Basically I am trying to figure out if setting a system up like this will be worthwhile or just lots of hassle with not much reward

I appreciate any help,

Thanks...

Sorry if I missed it but what would be the best way to get audio from each of the VM's

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on building the same system (only less powerful) but before I begin, I would like to have your opinion. 

Do you think a CPU like the i7-7600K would be good enough for two gamer PCs? (2 cores 4 threads for each VM). The CPU would be watercooled (nothing fancy, just some basic dual radiator stuff) but I don't think I'd overclock it, only if that is absolutely needed. 

I know in most cases the GPU is what counts the most, I have an Asus R9 280X Matrix for one VM, and would buy a midrange card for the other VM. I also have 32GB of RAM. 

Thanks a lot for your input/opinions in advance! :-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016 at 5:22 PM, hhs99 said:

Sorry if I missed it but what would be the best way to get audio from each of the VM's

use hdmi audio

Hi,

I guess im just a bit naiv for thinking but i have a gew questions.

- Does anyone know if this is also possible with an AMD fx-8120. Is it possible to enable virtualisation on it like on intel?

- does this work with way lower specs than linus is using. Just to play some simple games like LOL.

- Do u need two gpu's? Except for the old.card to run the VM? 

Im new into this and i would love to use this for simple games. Or help me out of this illision..

sorry for the noob question. But is it possible to share CPU and memory for the 2 users using unRaid or KVM virtualization???

Say my wife and i share the same computer and most of the time we split in the middle half of the vCPU half of the RAM available. But sometimes i want to use 90% of available cpu and ram power for heavy duty application while shes watching TV

Is it possible to set up so that the cpu and ram are shared in a pool for the 2 sepearate VMs?(seprate ssd and gpu)?

How will the performance be affected?

My wife and I probably won't play intensive game but it's awesome that Virtual Desktop seems to be performance so well with small loss in performance comparing to baremetal! This is exciting

TO CLARIFY: Is it possible to allocation 100% of CPU and RAM to the 2 separate VMs (running on separate SSD and GPU via passthrough) and let them figure out for themself how much CPU and RAM will be allocated (shared resources)? is KVM capable of doing that?

~Thanks guys  :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 8:16 AM, knightxii said:

sorry for the noob question. But is it possible to share CPU and memory for the 2 users using unRaid or KVM virtualization???

Say my wife and i share the same computer and most of the time we split in the middle half of the vCPU half of the RAM available. But sometimes i want to use 90% of available cpu and ram power for heavy duty application while shes watching TV

Is it possible to set up so that the cpu and ram are shared in a pool for the 2 sepearate VMs?(seprate ssd and gpu)?

How will the performance be affected?

My wife and I probably won't play intensive game but it's awesome that Virtual Desktop seems to be performance so well with small loss in performance comparing to baremetal! This is exciting

TO CLARIFY: Is it possible to allocation 100% of CPU and RAM to the 2 separate VMs (running on separate SSD and GPU via passthrough) and let them figure out for themself how much CPU and RAM will be allocated (shared resources)? is KVM capable of doing that?

~Thanks guys  :D

I have an older PCIe video card in the slower x16(x4 mode) slot and my better card in slot number 1.  How do I get unRAID to boot off of PCIe slot 2?  Right now it is booting off of slot 1.  My motherboard only has a setting for boot graphics of PEG/PCI or PCI/PEG.  I may need to find an old PCI VGA card and try the motherboard setting PCI/PEG.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an intel core 6600k, 32gb ddr4 g.skill trident z, two hybrid sshd (4tb each one), an internal intel ssd 400gb, gigabyte z170 and a gigabyte gtx 970 gb extreme oc, with that, can i run games like league of legends or the star wars bettlefront? and i can install the Os´s in the internal ssd? Or use the internal ssd and another ssd (like a m.2 or ssd) Also can i use the same graphics card for both useres? Thanks :D

Hey¡ , i have an amd fx6300 and a gigabyte r7 260x 2gb, 8gb 1600mhz, maybe the quiestion is dumb but, can i run these two users to play league of legends or something like that? Thank you :) 

41 minutes ago, fershous said:

Hey¡ , i have an amd fx6300 and a gigabyte r7 260x 2gb, 8gb 1600mhz, maybe the quiestion is dumb but, can i run these two users to play league of legends or something like that? Thank you :) 

You need at least 2 GC's

Don't start a post without pc specs.

4 minutes ago, Remmi2002 said:

You need at least 2 GC's

Thank you, but, with the AMD FX 6300 can i work or play with 2 users? Thanks:D

Don't know, with an OC maybe

2 minutes ago, Remmi2002 said:

Don't know, with an OC maybe

Ok, I´m just assembling another pc... Intel 6600k, 32gb ddr4 trident z 3200, 2 hybrid ssdhs (4tb each one), intel internal ssd 400gb... etc, but, can i use the same internal ssd for the two OS´S, partitioning in two?... 

14 minutes ago, fershous said:

Ok, I´m just assembling another pc... Intel 6600k, 32gb ddr4 trident z 3200, 2 hybrid ssdhs (4tb each one), intel internal ssd 400gb... etc, but, can i use the same internal ssd for the two OS´S, partitioning in two?... 

I'm not an expert at this :D . Isn't it in the video?

Hi, first post here so I'm sorry if it's a stupid question.

I could get my hands on the following setup for only about 100 euro's:

ASUS P8Z68-V with a i5 2500 (including ram, case, ssd). This would support virtualisation, but I've never done anything like this. So I'm wondering if it would be able to run a dual gaming rig (would use 2 GTS250 GPU's for this experiment). Would this work fine?

Thanks in advance.