Folding Stuck at 'Ready'

Hey all. Hoping you can help me with a bit of a problem I've got.

I fold on my desktop and laptop, but recently acquired an old computer with a Pentium 4 which I've decided to dedicate to folding@home. However, after finally getting it connected to the internet and installing the application it isn't running.

Folding Slot:
ID: 00
Description: cpu:2

I've tried configuring the slot to use 1 CPU, 2 CPUs and -1 to let Folding automatically choose - but nothing changes. Per recommendations online I tried deleting my work units and starting again but it still changed nothing.

I'm at a loss here. Can anyone help?

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Give it some time, it often takes a while to a WU to download and initiate, if the problem persists, contact @Whaler_99

Yeah, that's why I'm posting it here. It's had quite a lot of time now to get started, but... isn't. :(

Yeah, that's why I'm posting it here. It's had quite a lot of time now to get started, but... isn't. :(

Can you go into the advanced view, go into logs, and then check the box to filter the logs for that slot - post the log here so we can look at it. May be having an issue trying to get the the servers or such.

Also, have you put the Slider at Full to make sure you are "kicking" it into gear? :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Can you go into the advanced view, go into logs, and then check the box to filter the logs for that slot - post the log here so we can look at it. May be having an issue trying to get the the servers or such.

Also, have you put the Slider at Full to make sure you are "kicking" it into gear? :)

11:49:01:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.

11:50:06:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.

11:51:37:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.

11:54:15:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.

12:07:10:WARNING:Exception: 8:127.0.0.1@ Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Hm. I'm wondering if this could be caused by the way I have the computer connected to the net - I have it connected to my desktop computer via ethernet, with the desktop one sharing its connection.

And yeah, it's set to full. :)

That's the pr

11:49:01:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.
11:50:06:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.
11:51:37:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.
11:54:15:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get IP address for www.stanford.edu: No such host is known.
12:07:10:WARNING:Exception: 8:127.0.0.1@ Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Hm. I'm wondering if this could be caused by the way I have the computer connected to the net - I have it connected to my desktop computer via ethernet, with the desktop one sharing its connection.

And yeah, it's set to full. :)

That's the problem. Your system this computer is connected to is either not routing properly or you do not have DNS setup. You need to be able to ping www.stanford.edu. Can you surf the net on this computer?

Why do you have this system plugged into another system and not directly into your router?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

That's the pr

That's the problem. Your system this computer is connected to is either not routing properly or you do not have DNS setup. You need to be able to ping www.stanford.edu. Can you surf the net on this computer?

Why do you have this system plugged into another system and not directly into your router?

I've pinged stanford.edu in the command prompt and it pings successfully on both computers. The computer can browse the internet - I downloaded the F@H client through the computer itself. Per @Ssoele's recommendation I also tried adding the stanford URL and IP to my hosts file, but sadly it had no effect.

The computer in question doesn't have a wireless card, and the modem I connect to is situated at the other side of my house. This is pretty much the only means of connecting the computer that I have right now. :(

First, don't add entries into your hosts file - their IP's can and do change and at various times you will actually connect to other servers. 

Could you post your entire log file?

Also, turn off Windows Firewall on both the computers. The download of the WU's is actually through a method similar to torrents. The Application Filter on my main firewall blocks it by default and I have special rules for all my folders. Maybe the Windows Firewall is having some effect. Just very weird about not being able to get that IP.

What are you using as a DNS server on this PC?

First, don't add entries into your hosts file - their IP's can and do change and at various times you will actually connect to other servers. 

Could you post your entire log file?

Also, turn off Windows Firewall on both the computers. The download of the WU's is actually through a method similar to torrents. The Application Filter on my main firewall blocks it by default and I have special rules for all my folders. Maybe the Windows Firewall is having some effect. Just very weird about not being able to get that IP.

What are you using as a DNS server on this PC?

Sorry I took so long to get back. Long day yesterday.

Ah, I see. I'll remove it from the file then. :)

Here is the log.

*********************** Log Started 2013-08-17T10:09:40Z ***********************

10:09:40:************************* Folding@home Client *************************

10:09:40: Website: http://folding.stanford.edu/

10:09:40: Copyright: © 2009-2013 Stanford University

10:09:40: Author: Joseph Coffland <joseph@cauldrondevelopment.com>

10:09:40: Args:

10:09:40: Config: C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Application

10:09:40: Data/FAHClient/config.xml

10:09:40:******************************** Build ********************************

10:09:40: Version: 7.3.6

10:09:40: Date: Feb 18 2013

10:09:40: Time: 15:25:17

10:09:40: SVN Rev: 3923

10:09:40: Branch: fah/trunk/client

10:09:40: Compiler: Intel® C++ MSVC 1500 mode 1200

10:09:40: Options: /TP /nologo /EHa /Qdiag-disable:4297,4103,1786,279 /Ox -arch:SSE

10:09:40: /QaxSSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,SSE4.1,SSE4.2 /Qopenmp /Qrestrict /MT /Qmkl

10:09:40: Platform: win32 XP

10:09:40: Bits: 32

10:09:40: Mode: Release

10:09:40:******************************* System ********************************

10:09:40: CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz

10:09:40: CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3

10:09:40: CPUs: 2

10:09:40: Memory: 1023.29MiB

10:09:40: Free Memory: 767.68MiB

10:09:40: Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS

10:09:40: Has Battery: false

10:09:40: On Battery: false

10:09:40: UTC offset: 1

10:09:40: PID: 464

10:09:40: CWD: C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Application

10:09:40: Data/FAHClient

10:09:40: OS: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

10:09:40: OS Arch: X86

10:09:40: GPUs: 1

10:09:40: GPU 0: UNSUPPORTED: NV44 [GeForce 6200SE TurboCache ]

10:09:40: CUDA: Not detected

10:09:40:Win32 Service: false

10:09:40:***********************************************************************

10:09:40:<config>

10:09:40: <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->

10:09:40: <power v='full'/>

10:09:40:

10:09:40: <!-- Network -->

10:09:40: <proxy v=':8080'/>

10:09:40: <!-- Slot Control -->

10:09:40: <pause-on-battery v='false'/>

10:09:40: <!-- User Information -->

10:09:40: <team v='223518'/>

10:09:40: <user v='Whiskers'/>

10:09:40: <!-- Folding Slots -->

10:09:40: <slot id='0' type='CPU'>

10:09:40: <cpus v='2'/>

10:09:40: </slot>

10:09:40:</config>

10:09:40:Trying to access database...

10:09:43:Successfully acquired database lock

10:09:43:Enabled folding slot 00: READY cpu:2

10:09:43:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford.edu/~pande/Win32/x86/Core_a3.fah

10:09:43:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80

10:09:44:WU00:FS00:FahCore a3: Downloading 2.89MiB

10:09:50:WU00:FS00:FahCore a3: 17.31%

10:09:56:WU00:FS00:FahCore a3: 34.63%

10:10:02:WU00:FS00:FahCore a3: 51.94%

I'm guessing the last part of the log means that Folding is trying to download a Work unit, but it seems to stop at 51.94%. :(

Windows Firewall is disabled (first thing I tried) on both.

I have it set to automatically obtain a DNS server. Would OpenDNS be better? I don't really know much about DNSs if I'm honest.

I've been having a connection problem with the main PC lately where it will randomly stop downloads. It interrupts and freezes YouTube videos, Twitch streams, file downloads and Razer Comms - but it doesn't affect torrents or TeamSpeak. I'm guessing just now that's the cause of the problem, but oddly it doesn't interrupt folding on the host computer itself. And the issue is 100% replicable whereas the issues with other downloads is unpredictable.

For DNS, enter in 8.8.8.8 - this is Google's own DNS solution, and/or the OpenDNS server, 208.67.222.222 - only thing I don't like about opendns, when you hit a 404, you get an add page. Sounds like you need to resolve the download issues on your main system first, as that could be affecting this one.

What ISP type are you on? DSL, cable? I am wondering if your MTU setting is messed up on your main router.

For DNS, enter in 8.8.8.8 - this is Google's own DNS solution, and/or the OpenDNS server, 208.67.222.222 - only thing I don't like about opendns, when you hit a 404, you get an add page. Sounds like you need to resolve the download issues on your main system first, as that could be affecting this one.

What ISP type are you on? DSL, cable? I am wondering if your MTU setting is messed up on your main router.

I tried switching to OpenDNS yesterday and it changed nothing. I'm using Google's DNS right now but it still seems to be doing nothing.

My ISP is DSL, unfortunately. Cable is not available in my area.

I tried switching to OpenDNS yesterday and it changed nothing. I'm using Google's DNS right now but it still seems to be doing nothing.

My ISP is DSL, unfortunately. Cable is not available in my area.

One thing, log onto the router provided by the ISP - check the MTU setting for your DSL - it may be at 1500, which is the default. Try setting it to 1492 and see if that helps...

One thing, log onto the router provided by the ISP - check the MTU setting for your DSL - it may be at 1500, which is the default. Try setting it to 1492 and see if that helps...

It's already set to 1492.

Well then :)  Something else if going on... But why those services are affected and not others, I have no clue. Sounds like something the modem/router is doing.

Well then :)  Something else if going on... But why those services are affected and not others, I have no clue. Sounds like something the modem/router is doing.

Yeah.

I'm just confused because my laptop and main desktop are both connected to the same router and don't have any trouble downloading or uploading WUs. :(

Or something in that, that one PC is actually being routed through the other PC that is messing it up. You could go out and get a like $30-$40 USB wireless card for the PC...