Problem with AMD FX cpu (or maybe its my motherboard?)

gOW

Hello forum people! :)

I'm having some major problems and i am in desperate need of help.

Allow me to explain..

A while back i decided to upgrade my Athlon X3 to something bigger, So i decided to go with an FX 8350.

sadly the motherboard i used for the athlon cpu didn't support the fx chip, So due to my small budget i ended up going with a fairly cheap Gigabyte motherboard, a 78LMT-USB3.

But as soon as i installed the fx chip i started running into problems.

On load i would get Hardware failure errors in Prime 95, and the system would end up crashing when the cpu got under load. (i wouldnt get a bsod, but the system would freeze and my monitors would go to stanby, i have to hold down the power button to get it to turn off.)

And once when i boot it again afterwords, my onboard lan would no longer function (only way i can get around that is by leaving it off for about half an hour, then it would be fine again)

Now since the motherboard according to gigabytes website supports the cpu, it had to be the cpu right?

Well since i wasnt sure, i sent the pc to a computer store near me.

They did some tests and concluded that it was most likely the CPU, but because they worked mostly with intel they didnt have another board to test it on. So they tried a different psu and ram and such, But the error remained. They also ried to run the board with my old Athlon X3, and it would run without problems.

So they told me it was most likely the cpu, So i sent it for RMA.

A week later i got my new cpu back from the RMA, and guess what? I'm having the same exact problem...

So i called the computer store again and explained this to them, And they said that it would then most likely be the motherboard, specifically the power delivery system (the reason they think thats the issue is that when it did crash and reboot, my onboard lan would stop working)

So now i'm at a complete loss, and i don't know what to do..

RMA the motherboard? or the cpu?

I hope someone here can give me some advice.

Thank you for reading.

-gOW

Should have came here first, myself and a couple others on this forum could have told you it is the EXTREMELY lacking power delivery system on that board. You are going to have to get a new board or just deal with it because there isn't anything you can do short of watercooling your power phases which is just a ridiculous idea and not going to happen lol. I recommend a MSI or Asus 990fx board and that will solve your problem.

@gOW

@BlackOutCrisis

Thank you so much for your reply!

I just have one question. Because now i'm wondering: Why would Gigabyte say the motherboard supports it when the power delivery system can't handle it?

Probably a problem with the motherboard. It is an older board and I wouldn't be surprised if it just couldn't handle the 8350. Even though it's support is up to 125W, under load the CPU goes above that and I've heard endless stories of people with the MSI 970A-G46 (which also has a Power design for 125W) having lots of trouble with 8320s/8350s.

You'll probably need to get a new board. You won't need to go to company specific, but when your shopping around just make sure it has decent power delivery and it would probably be better to go for the 970/990X/FX chipset anyway for AMD FX chips. 

Here are a list of boards I recommend, I'm assuming your on a budget so here goes:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76522&vpn=M5A97%20R2%2E0&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1195

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62402&vpn=GA-970A-UD3&manufacture=Gigabyte

If you have a bit more money you could upgrade to the 990X/FX chipset where you'll most likely see even better power delivery components. However those boards, are very good and I recommend them.

Good Luck!

@gOW

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

@BlackOutCrisis

Thank you so much for your reply!

I just have one question. Because now i'm wondering: Why would Gigabyte say the motherboard supports it when the power delivery system can't handle it?

Well it technically can boot and run with the 8350 in it so that is why they put it as compatible but I can't recommend Gigabyte in the situation like the guy above me has said since them and Asrock are the two companies I have heard of people having this issue on 990fx boards so I would only go with MSI or Asus.

Thanks @Kobz360 and @BlackOutCrisis For your help.

So what kind of power delivery system am i looking for?

I know that 4+1 Phase isn't going to cut it, But what should i look for?

Thanks @Kobz360 and @BlackOutCrisis For your help.

So what kind of power delivery system am i looking for?

I know that 4+1 Phase isn't going to cut it, But what should i look for?

The Asus one I linked I believe has a 4+2 design, however, you can have a lower power design with still great power delivery and performance. Also that Asus board has a TDP of 140W which is something I'd definitely look out for. The Gigabyte one has an 8 + 2 power phase which is very good for that price, but it really is up to you.

All I suggest is

- If you go for a 4 + 2 Power design board, get that Asus one because it's probably the best you'll find at that price without going for the higher chipsets

- Make sure the Mobo you get has a TDP of 140W, NOT 125W

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database <-- that link shows a lot about VRM's and power delivery if you wish to learn more

- Post here (if you want too) the board you plan on getting so people can see and double check if it'll be suitable

Not long ago I was in a similar situation shopping for mobos..... judging the power designs and looking up reviews. Good luck anyway :)

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Hello again.

i was looking at either the Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Or the MSI 990FXA-GD65 or the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 Would one of those be a good motherboard?

The Gigabyte one is the cheapest, and the Asus one is the most expencive of the three, I am on a budget, But i'd obviously want one where i wouldn't have to worry about my system crashing anymore :P

Hello again.

i was looking at either the Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Or the MSI 990FXA-GD65 or the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 Would one of those be a good motherboard?

The Gigabyte one is the cheapest, and the Asus one is the most expencive of the three, I am on a budget, But i'd obviously want one where i wouldn't have to worry about my system crashing anymore :P

They should all be fine options. Keep in mind though that the 990FXA-GD65 does not have a USB3 header, so if thats something to consider then yeah.. Anyway, it really is up to you, I personally have the M5A99X Evo R2 but it appears the Gigabyte board is very good as well (You'll probably need a BIOS update to support the FX Chip). 

As long as you're sure that there could be no other reason for your computer crashing, get either of those motherboards brother and enjoy!

You should take a look at the motherboard I use for my 8150. Its the MSI 990XA-GD55 and its great. I love it. Its a 8 + something phase design, can't remember exactly. But I have experienced no issues with it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15