Samsung unveils dual screen flip phone, progression or regression?

HutchisonSorbo

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/14/samsung-hennessy-official-dual-screen-flip-phone/

art-samsung-620x349.jpg

I was surprised to see this pop up while I was making my daily rounds through some tech blogs, there is definitely a market for this kind of device however small it may be. It features a microSD slot and 2 SIM card slots, seeming to be the only advantage over many of the smartphones available today. My question for discussion is if this device was to be released in other countries besides China do you think it would have any kind of impact? With smartphones focusing on things such as higher pixel densities, will Samsung be able to tempt people into reverting back to this type of design? 

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

I think this type of phone could be pretty popular with a lot of people. Depends on how durable the hinge is and how good the specs are. And how large the main screen is (Looks small based on the picture).

Honestly, though, for myself: if the flip part had a full qwerty keyboard (vertical, like the original Motorola Droid, NOT like the Blackberry style keyboards), I would jump on it.

I YEARN for a high end Android or Windows phone that has a full sized vertical qwerty keyboard (preferably slider style that slides out from the bottom where the battery is). I've gotten used to using a Touch keyboard, but it's still not the same.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It all hinges on the hinges.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I had 2 Sony Ericson phone's using the dual-screen-flip-design and I REALY liked both of them. I think there is a market for this, It depends on when it releases and how mush it will cost but I might buy this phone cause I like the design and I like Android. Dual SIM isn't a special advantage for me but It's a nice feature.

It all hinges on the hinges.

badoom tssssh..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I'm interested in the battery life... Because they aren't focusing on a slimmer design they could potentially put a huge battery in there... It would definitely be a selling point for myself coming from a Galaxy Nexus that barely lasts a day with even moderate use.  <_<

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

It's interesting to see that companies are trying to launch things like this, but I don't see myself using one of these

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Thats a step back, firstly the phone looks old. I could mistake that for a 2008 phone.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'd LOVE that phone.  I've always been drawn towards the flip and slide type phones.  

Touch screens are good and all, but sometimes having the backup of physical buttons helps alot. Would be useful in cases where you need to use your phone while your hands are all sweaty/wet. 

I adopted the whole touch screen thing already as i use a tablet, but I've always felt more comfortable with physical buttons, specially for phones. 

Of course the hinge needs to be good... it looks a bit iffy to me.

i7-720qm 1.6GHz | Acer Aspire 8943G motherboard (Al ram heatsink'd heatpipes)  | 16GB Kingston 1066 SODIMM | Radeon Mobility HD5850 1GB GDDR3 | 750GB WD 7200RPM HDD 

"Sitting exposed on top of my printer" case (insane airflow)

Thats a step back, firstly the phone looks old. I could mistake that for a 2008 phone.

So your motivations would be based on how you would be perceived in public? I didn't really take that into account but honestly for me I don't think I would mind that much. I remember when having the latest phone is high school was the coolest thing you could do, but now everyone has the ability to browse the internet, make calls, play apps and listen to music simultaneously so I'm not sure if it's that relevant anymore.

So your motivations would be based on how you would be perceived in public? I didn't really take that into account but honestly for me I don't think I would mind that much. I remember when having the latest phone is high school was the coolest thing you could do, but now everyone has the ability to browse the internet, make calls, play apps and listen to music simultaneously so I'm not sure if it's that relevant anymore.

Yes the irony, i have a Nokia N95. I know how bad it is to have an old looking phone.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Great for people who is used to typing in T9 but want the smartphone capability. But it looks pretty thick for a smartphone.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Me thinks this is purely for market share. Thats all Samsung cares about.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Appearance on the live stream, awesome!  :)

I like tactile buttons more then touch screen buttons. Which is one of the reasons why I haven't bought into a smart phone yet. I can get a slide keyboard behind a touch screen I would buy it but it would have to be a good keyboard.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This is great. My mum really needs an upgrade from her 10 year old flip phone and she refuses to use anything that isn't a flip phone.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

This would be perfect for many of my older relatives who're interested in smartphones but are too cautious to actually move over, since it's such a giant leap for them. They get the comfortable feeling of the form factor that they're used to and smartphone functionalities, all in one device!

I bet no matter how good it is it won't be successful. Firstly it looks like an old phone and flip phones in general are regarded as old and undesirable and it probably won't be marketed well at all since they will be focusing on the Note III soon. So the general consumer would just skip this phone altogether and not even consider it.

I miss flip phones and still to this day prefer them. So if this thing either comes to the states or works here after being imported I AM SO GETTING IT! It looks amazing flip with smart phone touch if i want it rather than being stuck with it is fantastic.