Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

dbrand, dbrand, dbrand..... is all I got out of this episode.

I get it they are the sponsor and Linus got 3 macbooks and 3 note 5 for free but damn, was the ad in the middle really necessary? walking on a fine line...

It's a bit tuned down in episode 2. There's still an ad in the beginning and in the middle, but at least there isn't any cringeworthy "got my dBrand phone" and "look at this new skin and how good it is" scattered out in the episode like in episode 1.

It's a bit tuned down in episode 2. There's still an ad in the beginning and in the middle, but at least there isn't any cringeworthy "got my dBrand phone" and "look at this new skin and how good it is" scattered out in the episode like in episode 1.

*Luke loses money*

*Austin loses macbook*

Both happened in first episode, great use of sponsor money xD.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah I was about ready to close the window down after the first 30 seconds of Ep1, im like  ok fine Dbrand sponsor you, but holy fuck, 

Its like "hey guys, welcome to this dbrand sponsored episode of dbrand Scrapyard wars, oh look a box of dbrand skinned products, here is your dbrand skin laptop and dbrand skin phone, i love dbrand, dbrand, dbrand, something abuot dbrand, ok guys dont lose your dbrand phones"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Awww, I wish this was like a netflix series where all episodes release at once.  I guess I'll just wait to watch the first one when the last one shows up on vessel 

dbrand, dbrand, dbrand..... is all I got out of this episode.

I get it they are the sponsor and Linus got 3 macbooks and 3 note 5 for free but damn, was the ad in the middle really necessary? walking on a fine line...

Yeah I was about ready to close the window down after the first 30 seconds of Ep1, im like  ok fine Dbrand sponsor you, but holy fuck, 

Its like "hey guys, welcome to this dbrand sponsored episode of dbrand Scrapyard wars, oh look a box of dbrand skinned products, here is your dbrand skin laptop and dbrand skin phone, i love dbrand, dbrand, dbrand, something abuot dbrand, ok guys dont lose your dbrand phones"

Scrapyardwars was basically a money pit without a sponsor. Linus had to pay for computers, cameramen, and tie up an editor for weeks.

Sponsorship is the only viable way for us to get Scrapyard wars without costing Linus thousands of dollars in lost revenue.

Just be glad that DBrand steeped up to make this happen for the LTT audience.

Scrapyardwars was basically a money pit without a sponsor. Linus had to pay for computers, cameramen, and tie up an editor for weeks.

Sponsorship is the only viable way for us to get Scrapyard wars without costing Linus thousands of dollars in lost revenue.

Just be glad that DBrand steeped up to make this happen for the LTT audience.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a sponsor, but there are ways to implement them without making the video appear like one big infomercial.  "wow check out my dbrand phone", "oh i gotta use my dbrand skin macbook to search for stuff!" is just cringeworthy. They could run the ad at the beginning or end of the video and I wouldn't care, but that product placement in the first 5 minutes plus that ad in the middle kind of ruins the pacing and viewing experience.  Maybe Linus should go one step further and sell the title for sponsorship too. "Dbrand presents: Scrapyard Wars, brought to you by our good friends at Dbrand."

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a sponsor, but there are ways to implement them without making the video appear like one big infomercial.  "wow check out my dbrand phone", "oh i gotta use my dbrand skin macbook to search for stuff!" is just cringeworthy. They could run the ad at the beginning or end of the video and I wouldn't care, but that product placement in the first 5 minutes plus that ad in the middle kind of ruins the pacing and viewing experience.  Maybe Linus should go one step further and sell the title for sponsorship too. "Dbrand presents: Scrapyard Wars, brought to you by our good friends at Dbrand."

I dought they could change the contract at this point. It probably called for 3 sponsor spots during the video. DBrand did more than your typical sponsor with this one. I don't know for sure but it stands to reason that DBrand sent the devices AND paid money for this project. Most of the sponsors only do one of these things at a time during the video.

If selling the title meant that we could get scrapyardways 4 even sooner I would be fine with it.

Granted it was a bit awkward but that's the price to bay to support this stuff.

Awww, I wish this was like a netflix series where all episodes release at once.  I guess I'll just wait to watch the first one when the last one shows up on vessel 

hes not done editing all the episodes to put up.

Great new scrapyard wars you made! Back in the style of the first, but better! Best one so far! And the integration of the sponsor is very well done. We all know these series are expensive so sponsors are very respected.

So this SYW is about performance per dollar.

Dollar is clearly expressed in a number, but performance?

Will you just add up all the benchmark results and that will count as the 'performance'?

Is this something that is measurable/comparable to dollars?

Does it makes sence to do a summation of different benchmarks? How are they weighted?

I am not an expert on this, are these test just based on average fps in fixed settings?

If a 100 dollar system gets an average 10 fps, that would be just as good as a 500 dollar system gettings 50 fps right?

Wow, first ep. of Scrapyard wars III was uploaded on my birthday!!! (18 Oct) This is a great gift!

What's with the 12 am releases? I'm guessing that's the time in Canada?

I'm guessing that means there are still LMG employees in the #Warehouse? Linus! Give your employees a chance to live and breathe!!!

If a 100 dollar system gets an average 10 fps, that would be just as good as a 500 dollar system gettings 50 fps right?

That's correct. No emphasis on the sweet spot, just the requirement that it can actually run a dx11 benchmark. 3dmark has a nice ranking of the gpu's out there that assigns a "Value for Money" number to many of them at a given price. You gotta wonder what some of those cards would score after rebate, for example a 285 for $160 (actually I don't wonder, it would be ~67, fairly impressive.) I find it funny how the 7990 still holds the #8 position out of all of them. Rest in pepperoni's my non-existent Sapphire Atomic card. #veryVerySoon™

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

While that is true- many of these cards don't run dx11 and other standards which are required for far cry 4 and one of the synthetics they are using. Also the games are better threaded- so a dual core wouldn't keep up with (the gpu) say a cheap 2nd hand 290 or even a 285

Wow, so assuming it works, Luke just scored a ~111 rating on his card. Now obviously that's without a warranty, used, and a literally-shady (get it, trees) craigslist deal but hey.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I was wondering why there are so many Asian women selling pc parts in Canada before i realized that the audio was blurred.  :D

Buying not working gpu's is a good idea. A lot of them could be brought back to life with some time in the oven. Won't last long, but will do for this project. 

anyone know the song playing at 12:22 on episode 2?

i listened to all songs from Approaching Nirvana on youtube and i could not find it

CPU: INTEL i5 4590 | RAM: 8GB Kingston 1600MHz | MB: ASUS H97M-PLUS | GPU: Gigabyte 750 Ti Black Edition | HDD: WD 1TB Blue | PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 530 | Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower

No more SYW with Austin please. The guy is annoying af.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I have to admit that this edition sucks so far. After two episodes we've hardly seen any hardware bought at all and guys mostly talk and drive around or joke about intruding other's project spaces.

The last one, I think, the SYW with water cooling was fun to watch because there was stuff happening from episode 2 when guys got to make something from scratch. Now it's like you've rolled too much video and couldn't just drop too much of it to not loose the sense and so we have two episodes with literally nothing interesting yet.

The scene with Austin forgetting the laptop - seriously, who cares? You tried to make such a cliffhanger out of it...

Finally there's one thing with how the spent money is count - You've got to take transport into account. Rather than going for 45 minute rides for each piece just go grab something locally from those places with old computers first and then fill the gaps with craigslist, not the other way around.

I have to admit that this edition sucks so far. After two episodes we've hardly seen any hardware bought at all and guys mostly talk and drive around or joke about intruding other's project spaces.

The last one, I think, the SYW with water cooling was fun to watch because there was stuff happening from episode 2 when guys got to make something from scratch. Now it's like you've rolled too much video and couldn't just drop too much of it to not loose the sense and so we have two episodes with literally nothing interesting yet.

The scene with Austin forgetting the laptop - seriously, who cares? You tried to make such a cliffhanger out of it...

Finally there's one thing with how the spent money is count - You've got to take transport into account. Rather than going for 45 minute rides for each piece just go grab something locally from those places with old computers first and then fill the gaps with craigslist, not the other way around.

No. Just no.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

No more SYW with Austin please. The guy is annoying af.

Agreed.  Never cared for his videos before, and this was my first proper exposure to Austin and I'm really not liking it.  This SYW personally has been a bit dull so far I think.  Nothing has actually gotten done, cos each episode how to now be split 3 ways, 3 times the same kind of footage.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If you like building pc's, you will like syw3. The selection of the parts and getting them really is so much fun worth full episodes. The dx wakeup for Linus, buying broken parts, silly email requests for pieces, getting a cheap motherboard to work, Luke building his own case, Linus going all about mathematics but forgetting the price of the other parts, Luke getting discounts for missing screws, and then that Austin guy... Who does not seem to know anything about was he's doing and just ends up going to a store :P

If you prefer watching an episode about linus climbing a tree to get sand in a cupper pipe for bending it... Go ahead. Maybe you will also like their other channel where they shoot balloons at each other.

But syw3 is the real scrapyard wars!