Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

okay, i'm sorry for that. i just looked at the video again. it's the case that his actual build was in. look at it. btx, or am i missing something?

It's a HP OEM case and yes that's a BTX.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00968217

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

thanks.............. i have a need for a "backwards" case like that and can't find one.

lol Austin got rekt and I'm pretty sure no one expected ____ to win.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

just once i'd like to see the best components out of all the builds come together and see what the results would be.

just once i'd like to see the best components out of all the builds come together and see what the results would be.

I think they did that in another video. They put the best stuff from both Linus and Luke's scrapyard wars PC's into one case and compared it to the performance of another rig made of entirely new parts with the same budget. It was meant to compare the price to performance of buying new parts vs buying used.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I think they did that in another video. They put the best stuff from both Linus and Luke's scrapyard wars PC's into one case and compared it to the performance of another rig made of entirely new parts with the same budget. It was meant to compare the price to performance of buying new parts vs buying used.

This one?:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wasn't a huge fan of this series, I still enjoy the concept but this series was so drawn out, I didn't really enjoy having dbrand thrown in my face at least twice per video and because it was 3 contestants and because it was over a lot of episodes, it was difficult to even know who had what hardware.

I really hope that next season is better!

You guys should do something like this with new parts

And every competitor can have a different budget

Like 500,800,1000 that can be surprise or he may choose

And the winner can be chosen on best FPS per dollar

This will help a lot of viewers

Who won? I didn't quite understand. I know Ed from TechSource said that Austin came in third place, but who came first and second?

Can there be a rule that the pc has to at least look like something you would actually have on your desk?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Who won? I didn't quite understand. I know Ed from TechSource said that Austin came in third place, but who came first and second?

From a "points per dollar" standpoint:

Linus won the cpu benchmark.

Luke won the gpu benchmark.

Linus won the ssd benchark.

Austin got an 'e' for effort :)

post-38705-0-47137400-1448897065.png

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wasn't a huge fan of this series, I still enjoy the concept but this series was so drawn out, I didn't really enjoy having dbrand thrown in my face at least twice per video and because it was 3 contestants and because it was over a lot of episodes, it was difficult to even know who had what hardware.

I really hope that next season is better!

i think there will be less next time. after waiting 4 weeks to see 4 videos and then having to wait for 3 more to see the end.... long, drawn out and to be honest it was so long i found myself no wanting or not caring about the rest. this isn't a soap opera it's youtube. like everybody else i want faster results.

i think there will be less next time. after waiting 4 weeks to see 4 videos and then having to wait for 3 more to see the end.... long, drawn out and to be honest it was so long i found myself no wanting or not caring about the rest. this isn't a soap opera it's youtube. like everybody else i want faster results.

I just found it was too long and I didn't feel like the excessive amount of episodes was justified, I didn't learn all that much in most of the episodes and they could've halved the amount of episodes and had the same result. 

I suspect the sponsors had something to do with this tbh.

I just found it was too long and I didn't feel like the excessive amount of episodes was justified, I didn't learn all that much in most of the episodes and they could've halved the amount of episodes and had the same result. 

I suspect the sponsors had something to do with this tbh.

Agreed, there was loads of filler stuff that was not needed.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

I feel this that this season of SYW was way to slow paced. I feel that the amount of filler this time around was larger than previously

I liked having Austin to, so bring him or someone else

thanks for the vid. never saw that one. but it's not what i meant. i meant taking the best parts from the final 2 or 3 or 4 scrapwars machines and combining thee best, or best working parts there are and doing a benchmark scenario to see how much better it would be than the actual junk winner. no new parts or current value involved new rebuilds.

Love the show my Scrapyard computer serves me well still running a 5 year old AMD 6 core with a R9-270 still killing FPS

Does anybody know which settings the game benchmarks were run with?

I'm following the same benchmarks with my current, non-overclocked computer to see how it compares.

Currently:

Cinebench: 669

PCMark: 9987

3DMark Fire strike: 6408

• 2 weeks later...

Can I make a suggestion for a video?  Can you do a scrapyard wars where you troll the internet for parts on sites like ebay,tomshardware,reddit hardwareswap,tomshardware trading section,and the classifieds on this site (using different aliases) of course and compare it to what you were able to build going all on craigslist and filling in with new parts from local stores?   Heck I live in a relatively big area and the selection of hardware closer than 30 miles away is very slim on craigslist. But, I was able to grab an old dell with a q9400 and 8gb ram for $100 on ebay and a 750ti on reddit for $75. Would be really interesting to see. 

• 1 month later...

I know chances are no one will read this... but it would be awesome if you did one where you could only buy components from, say, from within the last 3 years. All the ones you have done so far the CPUs have been core 2 duo or quad cpus or (in SW 2) Linus had an i7 930(with the exception of Austin's i7 2600). Just a lil suggestion. It might be cool.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

How's this need help maybe for good source for cheap power supply(Tier 5)

2 of these for CPU E5530

26.00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001Q8Q8GK/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452741181&sr=1-1&keywords=xeon+quad+core&condition=used

12.99 PSU http://pcpartpicker.com/part/logisys-power-supply-ps480dbk

Motherboard 35.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foxconn-02010HE00-600-G-Intel-LGA1366-Dual-Socket-Server-Motherboard-/181833796762?hash=item2a56238c9a:g:bzYAAOSwAKxWU3h5

GPU 108.99 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr73702gbd5ppdhe

RAM 6.00 Hynix 4GB (1x4GB) DDR2 PC2-6400P 800 MHz ECC REG RAM For HP Proliant DL385 G6 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-4GB-1x4GB-DDR2-PC2-6400P-800-MHz-ECC-REG-RAM-For-HP-Proliant-DL385-G6-/181759015593?hash=item2a51ae7aa9:g:9tQAAOSwkZhWSeWc

7.00 Storage http://www.ebay.com/itm/400GB-3-5-Desktop-PC-Computer-SATA-Internal-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-400-GB-/381518272550?hash=item58d442d826:g:Bz4AAOSwMmBVyI7T or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-WD800AAJS-80GB-7200RPM-SATA-3-0Gb-s-3-5-Desktop-Hard-Drive-/121858310898?hash=item1c5f5242f2:g:VPIAAOSwKtlWjVUg

Caseless

$199 PC Build

Your PSU has a single 4 pin and the MB requires 2 separate 8 pins... 

I don't think the CPUs would do that great, for comparison Austin's cpu has 8 threads turbo-ing at 3.8ghz vs only 2.66 on the E5530's 

And your GPU is just no where near the performance of even the worst of their graphics cards, being 25%-50%, or more, slower than the cards they were using. 

I also would like to know what settings they were using on tomb raider and far cry 4...

I have a 7970 I picked up used for $100 US, with no GPU over clock my 3dmark score is 900 points higher than linus' using a 965be at 3.8ghz. Unless they are using the lowest settings on tomb raider or doing it in 720 instead of 1080 I cant figure out their settings.