Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

Hey, put down that 730 series SSD again?

*klunk*

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I don't think that's a 730 series SSD.

I love that part, and where Linus is "describing" his system in Ep6. :) I think it would have been fun if he would have described things like...

Now here's my dual socket LGA2011 Asus board, and here are my two review samples of the 6950X, now my two Quadro M6000's (I have 4 but I need room for my three 4TB Intel PCI Express SSDs), my Super Flower 2000-watt Titanium PSU, my Corsair 900D Case, my eight 5K monitors (or however many would result in using all ports on the GPUs), my 256GB of DDR4-4266 CL12 RAM, etc. :)

And, for the "junk" system, an 8088-4.77MHz CPU, 256kb RAM, 360k 5.25" floppy drive, CGA graphics, etc. :)

lol where's the liquid helium cooling?

Next scrapyard wars :
Used vs. New => best system for 400$ (ie. one person can only use new parts, and other one can only use used parts).
PC only (ie. Monitor, OS, mouse/keyboard, etc. - stay the same).

Best PC for 100/200$ => When all new is too high priced, what can U get (+ what can it do) ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

The card was originally offered for $25

Again like you said, we don't know that. I checked the timestamp and it sounded to me like Linus was surprised at that reply email. So here's what I suspect, Linus haggled him down twice: once down from an unknown asking price to $25 (remember, he was sending lowball offers all over the place), and then again down to an "arranged" $20+a free shirt deal as a fan follow-up with the intention of being "nice" in case he needed a refund. Like you and LAwLz mentioned, probably not a big deal...if the original haggle was done over an anon craigslist email. That's definitely something we need clarification from @LinusTech

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

lol where's the liquid helium cooling?

AAAHH How could I forget that?! What about encasing the entire build in helium ice... :)

Speaking of liquid helium, I wonder how much some much older CPUs, or low-wattage mobile CPUs, could be overclocked with that? (I'm mostly thinking Y-series recent CPUs, or older 286's, 486's, original Pentium/Celeron, etc. :)

How about next time demanding a minimum quality to the build? What I mean is, this tim all three builds had at least one iffy component which gave me the impression that if I was to use such a system for my daily use, something would break down which would increase costs and leave me without a computer.

Why not include a proper usage test?

Like the next time you do scrap yard wars you would have to use your build as a daily driver for a period of time and, everytime you at the resort to your everyday computer you would lose points and add the time it took you to fix it (as well as the money) to the final score?

Obviously any sorts of editing work would be exempt from this but things like gaming, sending emails, browsing the internet would have to be done using the computer you built.

This would make the builds more indicative of what a normal person would buy.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Next scrapyard wars :

Used vs. New => best system for 400$ (ie. one person can only use new parts, and other one can only use used parts).

PC only (ie. Monitor, OS, mouse/keyboard, etc. - stay the same).

I like this idea. The end result would be already known, for the most part (used system will crush the new one), but would still be interesting to see. not sure if this would be good as a scrapyard wars video, maybe just a regular comparison video.

Like the idea of either fixed budgets or the best performance per dollar aspects. Keeps things interesting and from not getting too crazy. 

How about this: Best performance per dollar, max budget of $500 and add a new element: lowest CPU/GPU temps. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I disagree, Austin was the most entertaining of the three. Luke and Linus are almost too good for it, it's starting to become a routine for them. Austin was running around like a kid in a candy store and it was absolutely amazing to see his enthusiasm.

And in the end he build the best computer of the three. Yes he overspend on it, but he has a fully working computer which is pretty amazing when you see his crazy dual power supply setup.

I agree with you. This Scrapyard's concept was kind of plain. Austin made it entertaining. To see him stress out, make mistakes under pressure and desperation was what made the series for me.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

I agree with you. This Scrapyard's concept was kind of plain. Austin made it entertaining. To see him stress out, make mistakes under pressure and desperation was what made the series for me.

Agreed.

He did redeem himself in the end, and was a good third party. Having guests like that would be a great addition to both SW and other series. (Yes, you should do more series?).

I still do not agree with "get a real computer guy next time" statements. You already have two real computer builders... Why do you need a third. Wondering what he would do wrong, next, kept is fun!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I kind of think if they do it again they shouldn't have Luke/Linus as part of the competition. I'd rather see some of the other LMG members being involved.

At this point I really like to know how this performance per dollar ratio compares with second hand PS3/PS4 or used Xbox360 without controllers and games.

Scrapyard is the least superrace series I can imagine (and because of that, sexiest. It's not what you have, but how you use is :P) and therefore highly recommended to all enthusiasts and noobs alike. So big thumbs up again to all participants. 

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

I kind of think if they do it again they shouldn't have Luke/Linus as part of the competition. I'd rather see some of the other LMG members being involved.

They kindof did that in the moving Vlog. It was "build your own editing rig" competition. 

They all lost.

(well, most of them). 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Wow Austin got rekt hard.

It was brutal.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

awesome scrapyard-wars  ^_^

for me the "only" number that matter is the Tomb Raider 2013 number  :rolleyes:

(and Luke won)  B)

- - - - 

would be awesome see one Athlon X4 860k machine with these cards

(numbers and system stability will be way way better)

- - - - 

Austin = HD 6990 = 3072 (sp) and DX11 = Tomb Raider 2013 = 83.2 fps

Linus = HD 7970 = 2048 (sp) and DX12 = Tomb Raider 2013 = 64.8 fps

Luke = R9 290 = 2560 (sp) and DX12 = Tomb Raider 2013 = 100.0 fps - (winner)

Honestly, I love Scrapyard wars but this episode count is now just silly. Why can't it be condensed to 3 episodes?

Episode 1- Finding the parts

Episode 2- Buidling the PC

Episode 3- Benchmark and finale

7 parts? C'mon LTT Team.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

as i look at Linus' scrap build....... the other night i was looking for a btx case. why is it so hard to find one of those?

Problem being that most of them can't build a PC and would probably over spend on parts! Maybe other LMG members with assistance from Linus and Luke on what is a good deal, also would need to have Dennis!

maybe they should have one legged one eyed midgets? or nuns and ugly red haired debutantes wearing lipstick you wouldn't find on a goat.......... you guys listening to your self. cmon, the show is pretty entertaining ... TOO LONG and drawn out ( 7 episodes ), but it's a decent thing. I don't see a need to change the main characters. it's nice to know that at least 2 people on the show have a real good sense of how to do something.

what would I change? in the end, ALL machines, regardless of time over runs, and yes, even a few dollars more spent - get to be tweaked to run to their full potential. 25-30 minute videos. that's pretty much it. That's not too much to ask.

For those wondering what type of case Linus had for the ScrapHole, it's a Foxconn 436.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811153028

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

the btx model he had. what was that?........ i think it was the case he had all the junk parts in and showed everybody before he went and got his real build.

the btx model he had. what was that?........ i think it was the case he had all the junk parts in and showed everybody before he went and got his real build.

Not BTX, still a ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811153028

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

okay, i'm sorry for that. i just looked at the video again. it's the case that his actual build was in. look at it. btx, or am i missing something?