Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

@nicklmg @LinusTech : the 3rd part is the unveiling of the prize ? where was the prize? who won what ? did you guyz like forgot that part and left it out of the video in the Part 7 Finale ? 

Edit : NVM, you said Stage 3 : Prices that we paid lol, i heard it as Prizes we get.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I really liked the post discussion at the end, made it feel whole.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

I really liked the post discussion at the end, made it feel whole.

completely agree, kinda wish that segment were longer

Intel i5 6600k

Powercolor AMD R9 390

One ... more ... week .... :) Can't wait to see the final episode. :)  (No, I don't have vessel.)

I had a few ideas for future scrapyard wars....

Use a CPU & GPU that are old enough, so that generations' flagship ($1k) units didn't even have heatsinks, and spend at least half the entire budget on whichever of the two is NOT the more heavily benchmarked one.

Use all components that were discontinued by their manufacturers before the year Linus & Luke were born, if that's possible.  (It'd be difficult if I was a contestant, cause as I was born in 1981, I'd have to use components that were discontinued by 1980, ruling out any Intel x86-based system, afaik.)

Maybe one where the contestants use ONLY iGPUs, no discrete graphics cards allowed? :) (Or, if they use old enough systems that don't have integrated GPUs, I suppose the rules could be bent to allow ISA graphics cards, or maybe first-generation PCI (non-express), so long as the card cost less than $30 when it was new.)

A reprise on the cooling episode (SYW Season 2) - passively cool an FX-9590 and Radeon R9 390X2, preferably with a homebrew solution, in a mini ITX case with no case fans, using a PSU without 80+ certification and no PFC correction.  The final episode of that one should be filmed someplace like southeast California, western Arizona, southern Nevada, on a summer day when the temperature is around 45-50°C (113-122°F) or higher in the shade, but the PC should be out in the sun. :)

I had a few ideas for future scrapyard wars....

You could also do an AGP graphics showdown! I think a lot of those would be fun to do- however, looking at the 3 SYW series- the focus has been to do something relevant. By relevant- what I mean is do something that we the viewers can learn from and use to our advantage.

I'm going to double down on the passive cooling- but not in as extreme a way as yours.

I think there is something to be gained from building a computer under $300-$500 dollars that has absolutely no fans and no pumps. The point would be to build a computer that can play moba style games and function as an office computer and generates no noise at all!

Then again- it would be almost impossible to contend with the passively cooled Apple Macbook 2015

I greatly enjoyed the whole series, but my thoughts:

1. Increase length. This is show content and I watch this along with my other shows on my Sunday Binge. Increase the runtime to at least 22 minutes. Use some of it to increase sponsor time if you must, and some to increase content. Act as if its a TV show and not a Youtube video.

2. Have a cohesive "plot" for each episode. I don't mind the multipart, but there were too many parts in this season that didn't need to be there. If it was me, I'd break it into 3 parts, "shopping", "building", "testing & conclusion", but you could also do it in "day 1", "day 2", "day 3". You can have as many parts as you want, but so long as each part is structured and has a payoff for the viewer.

@dezeltheintern I've seen you have a few ideas for the series. Try and get Linus on side :P

Have already put comments previously, just to say: episode 7 is great! This still is the best series on youtube, worth the waiting. The benchmarking with 3 persons simultaneous gave chills. Also Austins presence was very appreciated and an advantage. This will surely give a lot new subscribers. Keep up the good work!

My advice: keep it in this style (practical) and don't go back to 'home made water cooling scrapyard wars' type.

Scrapyard Wars 3 was awesome.

The budget, the places (people going to different cities and shops), the contenders/hosts it was all awesome.

The one critique I have is this:

I would have loved if the buying, building and benchmarking was done in 5 episodes instead of 7.

Then it would be great have an "extra"/"bonus"/sixth episode where they just sit at a table and talk about the wars. (like in the end of the actual seventh episode, but longer and it being "extra")

Can't wait for the next season.

OS: Windows 10N -- CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.9GHz -- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 -- Mobo: Biostar Z370GT6 -- RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2933MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW -- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 -- Storage1x 960GB Corsair MP510 SSD and 3x 1TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Monitors: Acer 1440p144 + 1440p60 -- Keyboard: Leopold FC750R -- Mouse: Glorious Model O- -- Headphones: Beyer DT1990 + Schitt Fulla 3 Microphone Samson C01UPRO

I know it would probably cost a lot more to do but I'd like to see this kind of competition with parts straight out of the store. The reason is that the most of the time was consumed on hunting parts and figuring out how to make them work.

I'd like to see the competition where for example you pick AM1 platform or something similar which is really cheap, put water cooling on it and overclock it waay more than the base clocks to get the best performance per dolar ratio while others could go for something a bit more expensive like 860K for overclocking etc.

Picking parts from the LMG supplies would also make things faster as long as those were calculated into the build cost fairly.

I know it would probably cost a lot more to do but I'd like to see this kind of competition with parts straight out of the store.

This is what I suggested in a previous post. Some great shots could be taken of @LinusTech and @Slick standing in line on Black Friday at a random Best Buy at 3AM...and an upcoming December release schedule would be perfect as mentioned.

Ok, now for analysis and spoilers on the final ep. I need clarification because of the obvious cheating involved and fuzzy math. @LAwLz

Parts and Price: attachicon.gifStuff.png

I missed an error in your calculation of Luke's parts list. Your total is nearly right of $312 as calculated later, but the part prices are wrong.

Now for the issues in the video:

• $22 is missing from Luke's final cost. And the cost of wood+Velcro/fishing line materials (I'll call that an additional conservative $20.) He accounts for everything (except for the assumed $180 gpu) at the end of the video that should make the total ~$332 ($290+$22+$20).
  • edit: this was clarified. $40 is missing (and unaccounted for) from Linus' total. This is coming from @LAwLz's sheet, although it could be that he only paid $60 total for the cpu+mobo+ram, I'll have to go back and check. He said he would include the cost of all the unused parts from the "troll machine."
  • Linus' ~$65 hoodie bribe is missing from Linus' total. Unacceptable.
  • There's some (very minor) corrections to the final "converted scores," which is very odd because Austin gets 2 decimal places instead of 1? The corrected ones should be:  455.8 , 362.7, and  386.4 respectively.
  • I'm assuming that Austin's "PSU 2" was $33 to explain $590 vs. $557.

Now, with those issues taken into account (the last 2 don't matter), the final scores should be:  0.773 , 1.057, and 1.164 - Luke being the winner by 10%. However, if that $40 discrepancy can be explained, that raises Linus' score to 1.197, very narrowly beating Luke by a mere 2.8%, not "40%", lol.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

-snip-

Gonna answer in spoilers as well.

According to what I saw in Episode 2 (and checked for someone here some days ago), Linus indeed paid $60 for the entire combo. (You can see for yourself, Episode 2, 10:20 on youtube.)

As for the hoodie - I wouldn't count it, because he still paid the price for hardware (same episode, 11:30), hoodie was a bonus. Now, if he traded that hoodie for hardware, no cash involved, I'd call it a bribe, but the guy's asking price was $25, Linus got it for $20 and gave his fan a hoodie. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Assuming perfect scaling with competitors and amount of footage

Scrapyard Wars 1: 17:27, 12:41, 19:05 = 49:13 (50 mins approx)

3 episodes: 50/2 which is around 25 mins per competitor

Scrapyard Wars 2: 15:08, 15:05, 16:17, 21:57 = 68:27 (70 mins approx)

4 episodes: 70/2 which is 35 mins per competitor

Scrapyard Wars 3: 17:06, 16:09, 16:23, 15:50, 17:25, Plus one more which is assume is going to be like 20:00 mins long = 102:53 (100 mins per competitor)

6 episodes: 100/3 which is around 30 mins per competitor

Therefore I see no reason for all this complaining. I know the series is drawn out and isn't as interesting as the other two. But complaining purely based on length is stupid because assuming my calculations on the last episode is correct it is actually shorter than season 2 per competitor.

so, a little more information and a little more suspence than #5. good job edzel.  the Dashiell Hammett of Linus Media Group................. LOL

@Rahnie I would still disagree with you but it clears stuff up. And thanks for the timestamps. One of the original rules of SYW 1 was not to use "your influence" to get parts. He did here, and that makes me sad because these video series had the idea in mind that an ordinary person could build a system with comparable prices, especially when doing the garage saleing thing.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

@Rahnie I would still disagree with you but it clears stuff up. And thanks for the timestamps. One of the original rules of SYW 1 was not to use "your influence" to get parts. He did here, and that makes me sad because these video series had the idea in mind that an ordinary person could build a system with comparable prices, especially when doing the garage saleing thing.

I always thought that the rule against using the influence was set up so they couldn't call someone and say "Hey, it's Linus Sebastian from LinusTechTips and LinusMediaGroup, I need your card to win a competition, could you sell it for $20 instead of $100?"

The card was originally offered for $25, he lowballed everyone and everywhere (I need that for school project, my grandma is sick... Funniest thing, it works!), and got $5 discount on the card, not because he used his influence, but because the initial offer was low as well. 

We don't know the whole story - if the guy recognised him and asked for a T-shirt or something (which happened in the past) then I don't see any problem with giving him the hoodie, especially given that he didn't use it as a leverage to lower the price. It would be totally different if he got an 80$ card for $20 and a hoodie, but when he got that $25 card for $20... Hard to call it a bribe. ;)

Great job on season 3. While not quite as awesome as the 1st one, you still fixed many of the mistakes from Season 2, so I'm cool with that. IMO, the weakest part was Austin.... now I know why I don't follow that guy, it's because he's bad at computers.

For the next season, do something different. Say..... tag scrap. Linus + Luke VS Jayz + Barnacles VS Paul + Kyle. Theme: the smallest system with the best price / performance ratio.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

ride around the neighborhood on garbage night for a year picking up old computers so you can accumulate enough stuff to build 1 good one. then benchmark. you know, you don't see lots of computers on the curb anymore. too bad. people were stupid throwing away some of the stuff they did.

This is what I suggested in a previous post. Some great shots could be taken of @LinusTech and @Slick standing in line on Black Friday at a random Best Buy at 3AM...and an upcoming December release schedule would be perfect as mentioned.

Ok, now for analysis and spoilers on the final ep. I need clarification because of the obvious cheating involved and fuzzy math. @LAwLz

I missed an error in your calculation of Luke's parts list. Your total is nearly right of $312 as calculated later, but the part prices are wrong.

Now for the issues in the video:

• $22 is missing from Luke's final cost. And the cost of wood+Velcro/fishing line materials (I'll call that an additional conservative $20.) He accounts for everything (except for the assumed $180 gpu) at the end of the video that should make the total ~$332 ($290+$22+$20).
  • $40 is missing (and unaccounted for) from Linus' total. This is coming from @LAwLz's sheet, although it could be that he only paid $60 total for the cpu+mobo+ram, I'll have to go back and check. He said he would include the cost of all the unused parts from the "troll machine."
  • Linus' ~$65 hoodie bribe is missing from Linus' total. Unacceptable.
  • There's some (very minor) corrections to the final "converted scores," which is very odd because Austin gets 2 decimal places instead of 1? The corrected ones should be:  455.8 , 362.7, and  386.4 respectively.
  • I'm assuming that Austin's "PSU 2" was $33 to explain $590 vs. $557.

Now, with those issues taken into account (the last 2 don't matter), the final scores should be:  0.773 , 1.057, and 1.164 - Luke being the winner by 10%. However, if that $40 discrepancy can be explained, that raises Linus' score to 1.197, very narrowly beating Luke by a mere 2.8%, not "40%", lol.

It seems like a lot of parts/prices are missing from the episodes. I was very surprised to see all the junk Linus used to build his troll system. I mean, all of a sudden he had a spare CPU, motherboard, case and other stuff. So I think it is hard for us viewers to calculate how much each person spent. We will probably have to just trust their words for it. There was probably some rounding involved as well as haggling off-camera. So they might have said one price, haggled and then gotten another price in the end without announcing the final price.

Not sure if you can call it bribery or not, but it seemed a bit sketchy. We would need to have seen the original asking price and what Linus paid for it to be sure. If it was just like 10 dollars them meh. You could probably haggle for that. If it was like 30 or 40 then yeah, kind of sketchy.

IMO, the weakest part was Austin.... now I know why I don't follow that guy, it's because he's bad at computers.

I disagree, Austin was the most entertaining of the three. Luke and Linus are almost too good for it, it's starting to become a routine for them. Austin was running around like a kid in a candy store and it was absolutely amazing to see his enthusiasm.

And in the end he build the best computer of the three. Yes he overspend on it, but he has a fully working computer which is pretty amazing when you see his crazy dual power supply setup.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Why do we still get invideo ads on vessel

vessels goal isn't ad free, its early access, 

don't expect it, they do it tho most of the time to be nice.

This was a great Scrapyard Wars but, as with many other people, I felt it was a little drawn out with the 7 episode and I kind of stopped being as exciting into the 5/6 episode.

I understand that there were more competitors so it is inevitable but it still lacked the stamina to go on for 7 episodes.

But other than that critique it was a great series. Maybe next time find a way to condense the main story into like a Saga and then have an extra episode or two for people that wanted to know everything that happened behind the scenes and stuff like that (Maybe even how it was filled but that is just an example.)

I just re-watched the latest ep again to make sure I didn't miss more price talk...

17:16 Luke: I spent $310.
17:20 Linus: I spent $218. (understandable how he probably left out the 6850.)

Official build cost:
Luke: $290 (not a single clue lol...)
Linus: $238

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hey, put down that 730 series SSD again?

*klunk*

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I don't think that's a 730 series SSD.

I love that part, and where Linus is "describing" his system in Ep6. :) I think it would have been fun if he would have described things like...

Now here's my dual socket LGA2011 Asus board, and here are my two review samples of the 6950X, now my two Quadro M6000's (I have 4 but I need room for my three 4TB Intel PCI Express SSDs), my Super Flower 2000-watt Titanium PSU, my Corsair 900D Case, my eight 5K monitors (or however many would result in using all ports on the GPUs), my 256GB of DDR4-4266 CL12 RAM, etc. :)

And, for the "junk" system, an 8088-4.77MHz CPU, 256kb RAM, 360k 5.25" floppy drive, CGA graphics, etc. :)