Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

I am not sure if I missed something but this is how I think it looks right now.

Not sure if there are spoilers for those of you who do not watch on Vessel, so open at your own risk:

attachicon.gifStuff.png

I think Austin spent way too much on the CPU and motherboard. It will be pretty even between Linus and Luke. Luke has higher GPU performance but a higher price and Linus' SSD might help a lot in PCMark.

Now that I see the totals, I'm not too sure that 6990 is going to be enough to offset spending twice as much as the others. This is going to be a tight race in the end, if they all hold together. Can't wait to see the finale. :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

attachicon.gifStuff.png

Don't forget to include the ~$65 MSRP hoodie that Linus bribed some guy to get the 6850. I'm calling out these sneaky cheats.

Next season, I'd like to see something like this: who can build the best bang-for-the-buck Holiday PC with store-bought "new or open-box" parts. Rebates will be factored in as well, but due to obvious time constraints, they'll just commit to "pretend purchase" an item online (with an optional rebate) that day, pretend to fill out rebate forms, and then just drive to NCIX and buy/pick up the same part at retail price, with the "online" price (minus any rebates) as the final factored-in cost. That would make it a lot more interesting, as I think many people will opt for newer parts instead of going garage saleing all the time as they've done with each season so far. Might need to change the title though, something like...

Clearance Bin Wars: "Black-Friday/Cyber-Monday Edition"

They have that in Canada right?

Please please please start planning for that now @LinusTech @Slick @dezeltheintern

Oh man, if you can get the timing right, you can release a 25-30 minute episode every week, with the "final" 4th ep being on Christmas day (since the wan show would presumably happen and be uploaded a day or 2 earlier.) That would be absolutely perfect.

tl;dr: Dear Edzel: post-38705-0-80130100-1447945863.png

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I know what the problem is. edzel's depressed and slowing down because he's stuck in the cutting room and everybody else is out running around corn mazes.

I know what the problem is. edzel's depressed and slowing down because he's stuck in the cutting room and everybody else is out running around corn mazes.

I was Luke and Light's camera person for that.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

you have to turn the camera around once in a while. give us a warning though........... LOL

you have to turn the camera around once in a while. give us a warning though........... LOL

You can tell it was me because I was the camera person who didn't forget to record the last half of the event.

LOL.  I bet you were the only one who wore proper shoes too. what is it with you guys and those toeless clod hoppers? and socks yet..... you guys need to start wearing camo socks to start hiding all the crud. LOL

<sensible stuff>

Thanks for the sensible replies here.

Will you be doing the consolidated video as well?

Both Luke's and Linus' are lower than that and Austin's is higher.

Not going to argue with the editor but... are you sure Luke's and Linus' are lower and Austin's is higher than in the picture? I just wrote down all the numbers I heard in the videos and added them all together. I can see how Austin's might be higher but I don't see how for example Luke's can be lower. He even said "10 dollars over the original scrapyard budget and I got a much better computer" or something along those lines.

Don't forget to include the ~$65 MSRP hoodie that Linus bribed some guy to get the 6850. I'm calling out these sneaky cheats.

Yeah... The 6850 is not a good card anymore but 20 dollars seems a bit on the low side, even for that old of a card. Would probably have been more without the shirt.

Not going to argue with the editor but... are you sure Luke's and Linus' are lower and Austin's is higher than in the picture? I just wrote down all the numbers I heard in the videos and added them all together. I can see how Austin's might be higher but I don't see how for example Luke's can be lower. He even said "10 dollars over the original scrapyard budget and I got a much better computer" or something along those lines.

Yeah... The 6850 is not a good card anymore but 20 dollars seems a bit on the low side, even for that old of a card. Would probably have been more without the shirt.

I'm just going by the spreadsheet Linus made. It's kind of confusing because I think when they said prices, they'd round or something. I know Linus ended up forgetting to account for something and had to revise his dollar amount at the end.

Hi guys, Is there an Episode 7? Who won?

Who won? Who's next?!

Sc... sc... scRAPYARD WARS!

*Scrapyard wars will return after these messages" "..... and 168 hours"

Even this guy's ordeal didn't take that long...

127-Hours-Film.jpg

Hi guys, Is there an Episode 7? Who won?

Episode 7 will be out (on Vessel) on Sunday.

I think Austin spent way too much on the CPU and motherboard. It will be pretty even between Linus and Luke. Luke has higher GPU performance but a higher price and Linus' SSD might help a lot in PCMark.

I have to agree there. Austin spent way too much on the CPU and motherboard. He'll definitely be winning CPU benchmarks over the Q6600s Linus and Luke have with that i7, but he definitely will not be winning any price:performance marks with his system.

Is someone at the office editing on a sunday? Damn son. 

Would have liked to see a costs breakdown table at the end, but overall well done LTT crew (and austin)

Would have liked to see a costs breakdown table at the end, but overall well done LTT crew (and austin)

Yeah, that'd have been nice to see.

I wasn't paying attention to prices throughout the series, didn't realize how quickly Austin's accumulated. I knew it'd be higher than Luke and Linus' but not by that much.

The only complaint with the series is making the episodes short 15 minute affairs spread out over 2 months. I know shorter 15min videos are better for ad revenue so i don't really expect that to change.  

Great series over all, congrats to the winner. And the death glare of linus when luke swore around his kid was amazing, 

Intel i5 6600k

Powercolor AMD R9 390