Tethering phone to PC causes some programs to hang

So i've just bought a Moto X Style, and i've got two months of free, fast internet (considering my home broadband is 4 mbps, and the 4g is around 24mbps...)

However, whenever i go to tether the phone to my PC, it works, but strange things happen. Note that none of this happens when not tethered.

Windows 10, specs are in the description

I've got the motorola usb driver installed, and the motorola daemon running.

These are the programs that misbehave while tethered, and their symptoms.

- The network and sharing centre (need this to disable ethernet while tethered). Opening by right clicking on the network indicator on the taskbar, it takes ages to launch. Also takes ages to disable the ethernet adaptor, as it takes ages to navigate. Takes ages to close as well.

- task manager, it takes ages to close.

- windows media player - hangs on startup

- itunes, hangs on startup

- sometimes the start menu can be slow to open, but i'm using a third party one now, and there's been no trouble with that.

- mailbird. When i open it from the taskbar it takes ages to launch, but clicking the button in the taskbar action centre (i actually don't know the name for it...)

- World of tanks: it crashes occasionally. Note that this may also occur on ethernet, i haven't been able to test that, so it may be a recent update to WoT causing this one.

I can't find anything online about this. It's such a weird issue... God dammit Windows. 

Also just today i've been having problems with pages becoming extremely slow to load (due to internet/data traffic from phone, not PC itself) occasionally. Something about security issue, i can give more detail on this if you think it's important.

Thanks in advance, if you've got any advice on this weird windows quirk. 

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Might be the network drivers clashing with each other. Have you tried using tethering while Ethernet cable is out? Do you have to use motorola software to tether? I'm using pdnet to tether my phone even when the carrier has disabled it

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Might be the network drivers clashing with each other. Have you tried using tethering while Ethernet cable is out? Do you have to use motorola software to tether? I'm using pdnet to tether my phone even when the carrier has disabled it

Haha wow, the easiest fix. Removing the ethernet cable fixed it. The apps are a little slower than normal, but definitely fine.

I've been to scared to remove the ethernet cable, because back when i had a galaxy s3, i would remove the ethernet cable each time i wanted to tether. After a while ethernet stopped working, and i had to reset the cmos to get it working again.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Update, issue is still Happening :( 

I've tried uninstalling virtualbox, which has a network driver, removing the ethernet cable and disabling that driver.

Its a bug on either Windows or Android. I have the same issue with my Phone and PC. The CPU is at 100% and Network and Sharing center lags etc etc and right when I remove the USB cable everything's back to normal. Using another app for tethering should fix this issue.

Edit: I recommend ClockworkMod Tether. It works perfectly and doesn't require rooting your phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

• 2 weeks later...

Its a bug on either Windows or Android. I have the same issue with my Phone and PC. The CPU is at 100% and Network and Sharing center lags etc etc and right when I remove the USB cable everything's back to normal. Using another app for tethering should fix this issue.

Edit: I recommend ClockworkMod Tether. It works perfectly and doesn't require rooting your phone.

Sorry for the late reply

CWM Tether didn't work, and it's only a 2 week trial.

Sorry for the late reply

CWM Tether didn't work, and it's only a 2 week trial.

PDANET is good too but it's also trial ... :/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P