6gb of RAM at idle?

Stevoicus

now, i've been trailing through task manger for a while now and cant get to the bottom of it...

16gb of ram installed and when i boot i get the average of around 2-3gb of ram usage but... after little while it will go up to 6gb and when i 

end all of my tasks it'll only reduce slightly to around 5.5gb ?

It's puzzling me, anybody any ideas?

now, i've been trailing through task manger for a while now and cant get to the bottom of it...

16gb of ram installed and when i boot i get the average of around 2-3gb of ram usage but... after little while it will go up to 6gb and when i 

screenshot of taskmanager?

As long as there's nothing eparticularly suspicious happening I would just leave it be. It's probably just SuperFetch caching stuff that you'll commonly access so it doesn't have to go to your boot d rive for it.

Me with 42 chrome tabs and a couple Audacity windows plus Minecraft and a couple other light programs open:

NrL4jnD.png

Sig under construction.

windows will use around half of your ram because it can. My 2gb, 4gb and 8gb pc all use around half of the ram it has even at idle.

As long as there's nothing eparticularly suspicious happening I would just leave it be. It's probably just SuperFetch caching stuff that you'll commonly access so it doesn't have to go to your boot d rive for it.

Me with 42 chrome tabs and a couple Audacity windows plus Minecraft and a couple other light programs open:

NrL4jnD.png

win7 booo!!!

win7 booo!!!

It's still far superior to MSX and 8.1 IMO. I've had serious issues with 8.1 and I'm just not interested in serious privacy concerns

Sig under construction.

wow, I'm using Win 10 and using 1.8GB of RAM with Firefox open.

I must just be a pro at ram usage then.

I've got 16 gigs btw.

It's still far superior to MSX and 8.1 IMO. I've had serious issues with 8.1 and I'm just not interested in serious privacy concerns

I'm pretty sure they're adding in the things that people freaked out when W10 came out through Windows Updates on W7.

I like how people think they're more safe on Windows 7/8/8.1 even though you were spied on anyways and people freaked out when they said "Hey we spy on you, and you agreed to it".

i wouldnt say i was concerned just puzzled as when i first installed windows 10 (upgrade so it wasnt a clean install) it stayed at around 3gb at idle? but now it doesn't 

Yeah ignore the above that's all rubbish, Do you have a Realtek LAN? If so update your drives because its probably a memory leak. Using half your RAM at idle is NOT normal and no Superfetch does not show as visible RAM usage on Task Manager.

Also using Resource Monitor is better to view your RAM usage.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Lets not forget that Chrome is a resource hog at times as well!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

windows will use around half of your ram because it can. My 2gb, 4gb and 8gb pc all use around half of the ram it has even at idle.

I think you are confusing standby RAM with active RAM, because this is incorrect. Only 2.7GB of my 16GB is active memory right now. Windows does not just store useless data in the memory for the heck of it.