AMD replacement for Intel

Hello

I've been working on finding parts for a build for a while now (with a lot of help from linustechtips.com) but I'm not sure about paying $800 for my first build.

My current part choices are here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CZQx

I was wondering if there was possibly an AMD CPU that would offer equal or better performance than the intel 3570k for a cheaper price. (If you find one help with a new motherboard would be nice too)

This build will mainly be for gaming purposes. Also I would like the CPU to be at least quad-core and unlocked in case I decide to OC in the future. A good overclocking motherboard for this processor would be nice also.

If you think Im stupid for thinking of going with AMD instead of intel tell me that too. I don't have any experience when it comes to builds so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

The 8350 or 6300 would be a nice replacement, for motherboard I would go with a AM3+ socket and choose from brands like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte.

I looked them up and from what I saw the prices are similar.

Would you go with the 8350 or 3570k?

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I looked them up and from what I saw the prices are similar. Would you go with the 8350 or 3570k?

Depends on the price difference, I would pay 50~ more for the 3570k.

If this is purely for gaming, get an FX 6300 for 130$ and overclock it to 4.5 Ghz with a cheap Hyper 212 cooler, you'll get stock i5 3570K performance for 60$ less .

If you need to do productivity workloads on your CPU get an FX 8320 & also overclock it to 4.5 Ghz on a hyper 212 cooler. it will outperform a stock 3570K in highly threaded workloads like video editing "sony vegas" & it will be very close in gaming performance .

pcpartpicker.com/p/Diim

If you like the idea of saving 50 bucks I would get the 8320 and get a good cooler with the saved money. The motherboard is also cheaper for AMD CPUs.

Go with 8350. logan did a video on this cpu, and linus should be doing a follow up soon. But its basically just as good as a 3570k for gaming, and it multitasks a lot better!

I notice your including peripherals with your 800$ budget. I was gonna say you can make a great gaming computer for 800$ with an fx 8350 and hd 7970, if you had a full 800$ for just the pc

If this is purely for gaming, get an FX 6300 for 130$ and overclock it to 4.5 Ghz with a cheap Hyper 212 cooler, you'll get stock i5 3570K performance for 60$ less .

If you need to do productivity workloads on your CPU get an FX 8320 & also overclock it to 4.5 Ghz on a hyper 212 cooler. it will outperform a stock 3570K in highly threaded workloads like video editing "sony vegas" & it will be very close in gaming performance .

pcpartpicker.com/p/Diim

I checked out that build and after putting in a hyper fan for $30 it'll only save me ten bucks for stock 3570k performance after overclocking.

So I'll check out the 8320 but I dont think im going to go with the 6300

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

pcpartpicker.com/p/Diim

You can overclock the FX 8320 to 4.2 Ghz on the stock cooler, because it has the same 125W cooler AMD uses in the FX 8350 which is clocked @ 4.0-4.2.

pcpartpicker.com/p/Diim

Thats great but I was planning on buying a nicer cooler a few months after the build and then OC to like 4.5

as of right now I think I'm going to stick with intel

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Thats great but I was planning on buying a nicer cooler a few months after the build and then OC to like 4.5

as of right now I think I'm going to stick with intel

A system with an FX 6300 and an HD 7950/7870 Tahiti LE will greatly outperform a system with an i5 3570K and an HD 7850 in gaming.

And I do mean greatly outperform .

The CPU doesn't do much in games, it manages the AI, path-finding, physics & so on, while the GPU has to process what goes on each pixel on the screen.

A rule of thumb is to always spend x1.5-x2.0 on your GPU than you do on your CPU when building a gaming system.

You really won't notice a difference between the 8350 or the 3570k. So whichever is cheapest.

I built an AMD system on pcpartpicker

as of right now its about $100 cheaper than the intel and Im pretty happy with it

what do you guys think?

oh and i added an optical drive to both and switched to a gtx660

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dw3u

would overclocking be good with this cpu and motherboard?

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

If you plan on getting an 8350/8320 and you plant on overclocking, make sure you get a motherboard with an 8+2 or higher powerphase.