Denned's Project Lava Flow (CaseLabs S5)

Denned

6M4VTbN.png

Greetings!

It's time for a new project. I promised myself that I'd get a CaseLabs case within this year. So with winter and long dark evenings coming, I thought it would be the perfect time to do now! :)

The color scheme is going to be gunmetal-grey and orange. I like to keep it simple, so it's going to be orange coolant, and a mix with orange sleeving on the cables. And everything else will be gunmetal-grey or black.

I don't have a completely thought out plan with the case. It's probably going to be somewhat "average" to begin with.
This time around I want to work with hardline tubing. Didn't feel like my old Corsair 600t was sturdy enough to handle hardline. So with a solid case like the S5, now is the perfect time to do that.
I'll also once again make my own custom cable sets using Teleios Sleeving.

Originally I wanted to have a pedestal, but for the time being the budget is already tight enough. So hopefully that'll happen at a later date.

The specs will be the following:
Hardware:
Caselabs S5
Intel Core i7 6700k
Asus Maximus VIII Gene
Hyperx Predator 4x4 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM
Asus GTX 980 4GB
Corsair AX860i
Corsair Force 120GB x2
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Cooling:
EK Supremacy Clean CSQ
EK FC980 Clean CSQ

EK xtop D5 pump top

EK res x3 250mm
Alphacool NexXxoS XT30 360mm
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280mm - I intended to order a 240mm. But it'll cost me the price of a new radiator to ship it back.. Oh well!
D5 Pump
Primochill Revolver hardline fittings
Primochill PETG Tubing
Bitspower fittings for the drainsystem.
And some EK 45 or 90 degree fittings if that's needed.
Mayhems X1 with orange dye.
Noctua NFF12 and NFA14 LTT Edition fans.

I'm using some parts from my previous build. Mainly the 980, pump, waterblocks, SSD's and the 360mm radiator.

Final Pictures

9WK0KIp.jpg

dC4zcyv.jpg

WNfcB8S.jpg

TDrcanB.jpg

qtouOQ2.jpg

RZ6Qkid.jpg

qrYz3UL.jpg

W3SNYZ3.jpg

KuT4zlp.jpg

OOvuDso.jpg

EbQ8MEa.jpg

QprLmOe.jpg

L5yduhQ.jpg

hrYNIMU.jpg

liCoLZ8.jpg

RjmXkM4.jpg

Build Log

SWJrHc5.jpg

FrcP5rs.jpg

DvAURme.jpg

uCOWjig.jpg

FVCLdZY.jpg

R8iJaqe.jpg

JJB15IM.jpg

2s0wDJP.jpg

CZ6JLvG.jpg

EpZTHOR.jpg

mQ02YAD.jpg

izFn1jD.jpg

That's it for now!

great build. also how would one fit a cpu cooler like the be quiet dark rock 3 with this ram?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

great build. also how would one fit a cpu cooler like the be quiet dark rock 3 with this ram?

I didn't expect them to be that tall when i ordered them! But it wont be a problem with waterblocks. As for the Dark Rock 3, the fan is probably going to be a problem, unless you have that opposite to the RAM. :P

Looks good, building a PC today and when 4 boxes came today I was so happy, can't wait for tomorrow. I have the same motherboard (:

This will be good. Your last build was very nice.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

That motherboard looks sick. An orange/red coolant would look sick in combination with it.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

That motherboard looks sick. An orange/red coolant would look sick in combination with it.

Wow the Z170 Genie is a nice Mobo. Can't wait to see this build in the caselabs. :)

Same here, should look pretty epic! :)

This will be good. Your last build was very nice.

That means a lot, thanks! :) Sadly I never got around to taking to final pictures of it.

Tiny update with sleeving supplies :)

QY6ujzw.jpg

Loads of connectors!

zHhkWR1.jpg

18 AWG and terminals!

Tjgyiq6.jpg

Cable combs to keep it clean!

vEe0060.jpg

Orange, grey (also have loads of black) sleeving! I was hoping for it to be a slightly darker orange, but I'll work just fine :)

Yet another tiny update, with the Primochill PETG tubing. After much trouble with getting it delivered, and having to pay about twice the value in import tax. Oh well..

The reason why I went through that much trouble, is that I really wanted the Primochill Revovler fittings. And supposedly people run into problems with mixing different manufactures of fittings and tubing, due to the metric to imperial conversion. Which means that ½ inch OD, is often being sold as 13mm in Europe. But it's actually only about 12,7mm. Which isn't a problem with soft tubing. But with hard tubing it could be a big problem.

Also the case was shipped a few days ago, and is currently in London! So it's probably still atleast a week away, because it has to clear customs.

2vtVwjk.jpg

dbtJI0u.jpg

dsOofwJ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After much trouble, the case FINALLY arrived today! It actually only took 3 days to get it from Los Angeles to Denmark. However it got stuck during / after being taxed, and was pretty much lost for 8 days. Turned out it was at the local post office, having managed to not get scanned one at any point during it's travel through the country!

But building it was a very pleasant experience, everything went togeather pretty smoothly. Sadly it only took about an hour to build :(

ZM9jpWv.jpg

Now I'll have to figure out how and where to mount the reservoir. Was intending to mount in on the radiator, but it seems that there isn't a 140mm uni bracket. So I'd have to make something myself, which wouldn't be hard anyway...

I've been looking at other builds to get some inspiration for alternative mounting locations, but I havn't quite found something I'd prefer.

So when I've figured that out, I'll order the reservoir, pumptop, last few fittings, liquid and dye. :)

Spent some time this weekend making and sleeving the 24pin cable. Hopefully I got the messurements right! Just need to make the split cable.

Reservoir and pump top will arrive tomorrow, and the last fittings will probably be here by friday. Lastly I'll be waiting for the LTT Noctua fans! :)

6ap57BM.jpg

UhPynLJ.jpg

How to build a Caselabs S5 in 32 seconds:

Playing with Mayhems orange dye. Wanted to see how the color was. The problem is that it gets very vague when it's in a tube, compared to being in the reservoir. :/

Sweet log! I am planning on eventually upgrading to a 6700k and one of the new Maximus VIII boards as well!

Sweet log! I am planning on eventually upgrading to a 6700k and one of the new Maximus VIII boards as well!

Thanks!

I'm very satisfied with my Gene! Never had a RoG board before, but it's waay better than my old Mpower board. :)

Progress is pretty slow and lame right now. Still missing loads of fittings, and the rubber thing to bend PETG tubing, which hopefully should be here today!

However the pumptop, reservoir and liquid arrived last week. So I spend the week finding a way to mount the reservoir to the radiator. I never managed to find a bracket for 140mm radiators, everything that seems to be available is for 120mm. So that meant I had to make my own. Which ment learning Sketchup (Turned out to be super easy) and 3d print something.

I'll also try to make a cover for the rear IO.

fUf1ulE.jpg

Yes the wireing is a mess on it and it's pretty ghetto, but it works atleast somewhat decently!

iKC8pL9.jpg

This was the design I ended up with, however I probably made 15-20 different designs before I got here :)

34gWYC5.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1119431

The bracket can be downloaded there, if anyone else could use them. There's also two alternative designs :)

So yet another tiny update, hopefully I'll be able to do some proper progress soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Damn Fallout, completely stalled all progress! :D

Anyway. got around to taking apart the old rig so that I can move on.

I've been drilling in my S5, which is scary.

Been bending PETG which is a pain in the ass. - The ones I've done are not final. I want to redo a few of them. But I'm also still trying to find out which route to take.

I've been trying to design and 3d print a simple IO cover. But I'm not really sure if it'll look bad, even with some sanding a a few coats of paint.

I'm two fittings short, so I'll have to wait yet another few days to get those. But it's not too bad. Since I wanted to get a double male rotary fitting so that the drain valve isn't sat in a awkward angle.

But here's some pictures! :)

w3RyQCx.jpg

Pu1qiFh.jpg

grmv5gE.jpg

UFka3UO.jpg

qvOcC9w.jpg

Pbv1b1H.jpg

KeV10gm.jpg

eCrci32.jpg

uu4cJTt.jpg

iBX4C1m.jpg

Man..you gotta love the look of that DDR4 ram & the centre piece of it all the Maximus 8 Gene @Denned great choice & build log

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

nice build, also love the little noctua fan on the 3d printer  :wub:

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

nice build, also love the little noctua fan on the 3d printer  :wub:

Well spotted :D Tiny cute little fan :wub:

The stock fan on the hotend is really noisy, however it doesn't need to be cooled that much. So the Noctua makes it bearable to sit next to :)

My weekend has been sleeving, sleeving, cleaning and testing for leaks!

JSdee2J.jpg

O5mVMo9.jpg

qpsUD1G.jpg

y39sRrw.jpg

N5qLySt.jpg

l8d7H5r.jpg

qQK5Vq1.jpg

hpphyUt.jpg

M7u6kl7.jpg

FOaEh5A.jpg

It's starting to look like something! smile.gif
Cleaned the fittings and tubing last night. So I'm pretty much just waiting to get the last fittings so I can do a ~24 hour pressured leak test.
I wanted to make my own extenders for the fans. But I only have 18AWG wire, so it'll have to wait.. :/

much clean very look so yum

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

much clean very look so yum

Thanks! :)

I like am a big FAN of the noctua fan on the 3D printer  :D Did you make the printer?

I bought it as a kit, and build it from ground up pretty much. :)

It's v2 of this kit: https://reprappro.com/shop/reprap-kits/mendel-3-full-kit/