NVIDIA Pascal Mythbusting

Glenwing
1 hour ago, lukart said:

It's funny to see Nvidia rushing now to come up with the 1060, which was meant to be later on around sept / oct now to be announced later in July as the latest update.

They won't use their 106 chip but instead they will use cut down 1080/1070 GPUs to go to 299$ price point. 

Interesting times...

May I ask for source of this?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Friends in the industry...But again, they could be wrong. 

But what they said is, 1060 is coming earlier than expected.  The 299USD is my thinking as I dont think they can go much bellow 299USD with the 104 GPU.

17 minutes ago, lukart said:

Friends in the industry...But again, they could be wrong. 

But what they said is, 1060 is coming earlier than expected.  The 299USD is my thinking as I dont think they can go much bellow 299USD with the 104 GPU.

For that price I guess we are looking at 10/20 or 12/20 compared to GTX 1080.

GTX 1070 is 15/20, so I guess it will be around 10-12/20 ... can't be more xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

so I dont care about 8 way sli, but it is a myth that they are only 2 way sli right? I heard you can do 3 with one doing phys x, but what about 4 way? Is this not doable now?

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

so I dont care about 8 way sli, but it is a myth that they are only 2 way sli right? I heard you can do 3 with one doing phys x, but what about 4 way? Is this not doable now?

Basically 3 and 4 way is "DLC" :P It is possible but they've made it a hassle.  Shouldn't change anything though, since (and for good reason) they never recommended more than 2 way anyway, and that has not changed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Basically 3 and 4 way is "DLC" :P It is possible but they've made it a hassle.  Shouldn't change anything though, since (and for good reason) they never recommended more than 2 way anyway, and that has not changed.

Figured thats why this was all coming into play.  But for the people with more money than sense I wanted to do it for aesthetics!  i mean even if its barely any type of performance gain just something, now I probably still wouldnt do it if it doesnt even get recognized by the sytstem or something though.  Go on vacation or something instead of adding 2 more gpus! ahhaha funny to think about it in terms like that.  $1300~ is a vacation for 2! 

11 hours ago, Simon771 said:

May I ask for source of this?

Agreed, this sounds fishy...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

18 hours ago, H2O said:

The problem is that the old SLI bridge doesn't have enough bandwidth anymore. Wikipedia claims that the one before Pascal was able to do up to 2560x1600 @ 120Hz and the new one is supposed to be able to work up to 5K@60Hz.

Though this boggles me. GPUs haven't even saturated a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot yet.

47 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem is that the old SLI bridge doesn't have enough bandwidth anymore. Wikipedia claims that the one before Pascal was able to do up to 2560x1600 @ 120Hz and the new one is supposed to be able to work up to 5K@60Hz.

yeah what gives! I hope they figure something else between now and 1080ti or 1180ti with a crazy bridge that can support it, because I think ill have 4 gpu slots, maybe I can fill them with other sillyness.

What's that..  Timmy fell for the Pascal hype and didn't wait for benchmarks vs Last gen and AMDs offerings.

Seriously though good read I was excited about everything for the 1070 for VR and possibly going back to the green team.

I guess now the benchmark is out for 1080 price to performance at least for me is woefully low it's like "oh another $1000 card I guess those with titans or 980Ti will be after it"

Reality is most people will not dedicated 60 percent of a build to the GPU, yep we all want crossfire or SLI frames from a single card but the price kills most dreams and usually we end up debating the mid range cards of which is the best cost to performance wise.

Because mid end cards are what everyday gamers will buy with a few splurging on a card over 700 dollars. 

End of the day it comes down too what you have now and is $580 ish worth a new get up or is buying a now very low cost additional card for two way gpu support your best option budget wise until your next complete pc overhaul.

60 fps is what's needed folks not 120 not 200 just 55 to 60 and the majority will be happy campers. 

What will AMD bring who knows but I can probably guess wha  will be preferable by gamers just based on comparisons of the R9 290x and 390x range being sub 500 compare that too a 980 or 980ti performance was gold price was near spot on.

If AMD can push the new 480x out the door sub 500 mark and with comparable figures performance wise to the 1070 under gaming use the conclusion is blinding. If AMD get around to a 490 and 490x you know they will and it's in the $680 range it's a clear winner for the value consumer who thinks with brains not wallet and shiny hype.  The R9 290 now is still a beast people upgrading from this or a 390x will be after the larger VRAM and extra 30fps to make a guaranteed 60 in all games with mods and ENB shading aswell as take advantage of no worries VR needs run ultra on 2k displays in the coming year. This is reality we are talking about not the men's urinal if  you get my metaphor. 

I'm not saying top ends dont make a difference or are not worth it okay..  you got the cash go for it I am just saying that for the average person current gen mid priced cards are the gaming force driving development. Any statistical data which represents consumer hardware vs development trends will show you that publishers please consumers with average hardware, gaming has only recently caught up to the 4GB VRAM limitations before 2016 only heavy modding would push VRAM usage. I think my point is valid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

that's why AMD now uses PCIe for the bridge. 5k 60hz is >25 Gb PCIe 3.0 x8 is 64 Gb. so why bother with using a bridge?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

• 2 weeks later...

How much more efficient clock for clock and core for core is Pascal compared to Maxwell? Anandtech and Toms hardware used to do the tests like that back in the day as best as they could. But now I can no longer find any such articles.

On 25 June 2016 at 4:38 AM, The Benjamins said:

that's why AMD now uses PCIe for the bridge. 5k 60hz is >25 Gb PCIe 3.0 x8 is 64 Gb. so why bother with using a bridge?

Latency. Having bandwidth isn't enough, it needs to come with a low ping too or you'll get stuttering. Nvidia prioritise frametimes and smoothness, while AMD consider raw fps scaling numbers to be easier to market.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 10/6/2015 at 10:56 AM, Glenwing said:

But, it is not even clear whether NVLink will appear at all on the desktop market, as NVIDIA has not mentioned anything about NVLink in the context of multi-GPU gaming or consumer GPUs, they’ve only talked about how useful it will be for supercomputers so far.

To date there are still only 2 machines that will use NVLink. The Sierra and the Summit. Both are government machines and neither will be turned on til next year. Although the Sierra won't be fully implemented until 2018.

We might get lucky enough to see a "consumer" motherboard that supports it (like the ASUS WS line of mobos) sometime in the distant future. Especially since Nvidia is touting some Tesla GPUs for "personal supercomputing" (whatever that means). We just have to remember that the first generation of NVLink won't actually be used until mid 2017.

P.S Interestingly enough, both of these machines will skip right over Pascal and move to Volta. An architecture that's supposed to debut to partners in 2017 and consumers in 2018. There is virtually no reliable information about Volta, yet.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Considering this post is focused on Pascal, does anyone know if the 1070 FE is Voltage locked? I tried messing with the Core Voltage in Msi Afterburner and EVGA Precision and neither would allow me to adjust it, any info on the subject would be 10/10

the man of flan, otherwise known as dan.

On 7/16/2016 at 6:03 PM, AutistcGiraffe said:

Considering this post is focused on Pascal, does anyone know if the 1070 FE is Voltage locked? I tried messing with the Core Voltage in Msi Afterburner and EVGA Precision and neither would allow me to adjust it, any info on the subject would be 10/10

In MSI Afterburner settings there is a check box to allow voltage change (It's off by default).  That being said, even though I can change the voltage, it doesn't effect the max over clock or the stability of the over clock.  At least in my testing.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know, if it's been posted yet:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Vulkan-Benchmarks-Frametimes-1202711/

I know, it's German, but in that Article, they were investigating why Pascal falls off in Doom @ Vulkan.

It get's some off frametimes, like a "triple buffering with Borderless windows". Many Frames are getting Synced to the Monitor, and the Frame after that gets dropped.

Nvidia seems to be working on a Fix.