Latest Samsung Exynos SoC with Mongoose CPU blazes through benchmarks

ZetZet

Exynos has 8 cores, A9 has 2 yet it only scores 500 points lower.

The Exynos is using the big.LITTLE concept, with a powerful quad core for tasks that require the performance and a smaller quad core designed for basic tasks and power efficiency. Considering only one of the quad core processors can be active at a time, it's only fair to compare it as a quad core.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

No, Exynos is 4+4. Pls man, pls.

Android actually benefits from multiple cores most of the time, it has been shown.

Those 4 smaller cores don't just shut off in these benchmarks. I hope you know that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Those 4 smaller cores don't just shut off in these benchmarks. I hope you know that.

Well no, they do other things, but they don't do anything to change the benchmark scores.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Still waiting on a phone with this much power and an active cooling system -.-

Even the tiniest of fans takes a surprisingly high amount of power and even the most resilient of fans is surprisingly fragile to movement, so that's a recipe for disaster on a phone.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apple A9 being late to the game is starting to show.

Can you really call it late to the game? It's very good compared to what you can currently buy. Comparing it to something that won't show up in devices for another 4-5 months is kind of unfair. Especially since we don't actually know how well it will perform (a single benchmark is not really trustworthy).

Those are some impressive scores though, especially the single core results. It will be interesting to see how the Snapdragon 820 stacks up as well.

I hope the GPU is equally impressive.

Aaaand the A9 eats the Mongoose CPU on single-core performance which is what matters 95% of the time on mobile phones. 

C'mon Samsung, you can do better. On the multi-core score though, looks like the the 8 cores scale much better than it does on the 7420/SD810.

What benchmarks are you looking at? I see an ~8% difference in single threaded score and a ~60% difference in multi-core score.

Considering how well Android scales with cores, I will gladly trade 8% single core score for a 60% increase in multicore score.

They might. We don't know what kind of thermal output/limits and power limits are in place. The big cores might draw enough power and produce enough heat during the test so that the LITTLE cores are shut down.

It's too early to tell.

Can you really call it late to the game? It's very good compared to what you can currently buy. Comparing it to something that won't show up in devices for another 4-5 months is kind of unfair. Especially since we don't actually know how well it will perform (a single benchmark is not really trustworthy).

Those are some impressive scores though, especially the single core results. It will be interesting to see how the Snapdragon 820 stacks up as well.

I hope the GPU is equally impressive.

Well Exynos 7420 is came out way earlier and is still more powerful. So yes I can. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Lesser score? Exynos 4900, A9 4400.

GPU is where A9 pulls ahead.

It only has 2 less cores. S6 has 4 high performance cores which are benchmarked. Other 4 are off when the phone is in performance mode. So really, it's not that different from 5ghz pentium and 3ghz i3 being similar in performance. Just two big cores similar to four smaller ones.

But it's higher in Single Core and it's still impressive having 2 v 4 cores. And it's more like Pentium vs i5 from what I see but not an i5 more like an Athlon 860K or FX 6300.

And there is no way those small cores do nothing so I'm being generous here or maybe they do but from my googling skills I didn't see articles saying they turn off I only saw speculation.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well Exynos 7420 is came out way earlier and is still more powerful. So yes I can. 

That single core difference and a not so big difference in the Muti means its not late to the game at all vs the 7420 it stands up against this generation of Phones decently i mean  it wins one test by a decent margin and looses the other by a little bit then it wins in GPU also.  i have the S6 and its a awesome phone. i have been saying for years i wont go back to the iphone  last one i liked was the 4 been a big apple hater over the years but you cant really trash there Pross in this case its not getting killed by this generation and the foretasted  generation isnt even killing it just a nice improvement as typically comes year after year 

gpu is powerful, cpu not more powerful at all. Weaker than Exynos.

Your last reply said "it didn't beat anything" , not it didn't beat anything in the CPU performance of the SoC.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Does it matter? Look at the octane scores. It has been like this for years, Apple's A processors don't need to crush in VPU performance as t won't matter in the real world much.                                       

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

They will probably make it better until release. To early, just an engineering sample I guess.
Anyway, is big.LITTLE really that good that it's being used further?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I don't see any crushing at all. It loses in single threaded performance despite a pretty big frequency advantage meaning its IPC still sucks. On top of that, if this is anything like the demo devices that Qualcomm uses, then it's a tablet that has a chassis capable of better heat dissipation than a phone meaning that you won't see any of the throttling that you might otherwise see on a phone.

However, I'm very interested in what the S7 would be as that might be the phone that I am upgrading to if they fix the problems that I see in the S6 while having performance that's almost indistinguishable from the 6s.

It loses in single threaded performance despite a pretty big frequency advantage meaning its IPC still sucks.

That are you talking about. The cores are just smaller, because there are 4 of them. IPC doesn't suck at all. It's actually better because it comes close to a dual core, while having two more cores at a multi-threaded load.

Exynos 7420 has a smaller die than A9 by a lot and it has 6 more cores on that die. Of course Apple has a larger gpu too. But 7420 is 78 mm2 while A9 is 96-104.5mm2

Spoiler

That are you talking about. The cores are just smaller, because there are 4 of them. IPC doesn't suck at all. It's actually better because it comes close to a dual core, while having two more cores at a multi-threaded load.

uhhhh ipc =/= single threaded performance. It's 1.85ghz vs 2.3ghz which is a 24% difference in clock speeds only to net a 8% deficit in performance. However, as I said, it's great that performance is indistinguishable from the A9 in the 6s as I will have more options when the time comes to upgrade in May. 

uhhhh ipc =/= single threaded performance. It's 1.85ghz vs 2.3ghz which is a 24% difference in clock speeds only to net a 8% deficit in performance. However, as I said, it's great that performance is indistinguishable from the A9 in the 6s as I will have more options when the time comes to upgrade in May. 

Yes, but core size has to do with frequency too. If A9 has double the transistors in a core it's 50% more transistors. So IPC =/= clockspeed either.

Spoiler

They will probably make it better until release. To early, just an engineering sample I guess.

big.LITTLE is being used in a lot of Snapdragon chips nowadays.

Others???idk.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

big.LITTLE became good once software started using it. Phone stand by times and usage times improved.

Spoiler

big.LITTLE became good once software started using it. Phone stand by times and usage times improved.

The better standby times could be due to improvements made to Android. There's no concrete proof, afaik, that proves that big.LITTLE improves battery life; it's all theoretical.

The better standby times could be due to improvements made to Android. There's no concrete proof, afaik, that proves that big.LITTLE improves battery life; it's all theoretical.

well, manufacturers not making other designs is probably proof enough. Since there are 3 major players in Android market and every single one of them has switched to big.LITTLE I think they are onto something.

Spoiler

well, manufacturers not making other designs is probably proof enough. Since there are 3 major players in Android market and every single one of them has switched to big.LITTLE I think they are onto something.

That still doesn't prove anything at all. And the 3 that I can think of in terms of relevance of performance are Samsung, nVidia, and Qualcomm; Mediatek is still most irrelevant at this point and HiSilicon is still really far behind. Only 2 of them are using big.LITTLE and only one of them has found success. On top of that, it seems as if it was created as a marketing ploy to push the idea that more cores is better. I can't even find a single sentence on the S6 page that advertises the "octa-core" as a battery saving feature instead of as "the most power and speed we’ve ever put in a smartphone.

That still doesn't prove anything at all. And the 3 that I can think of in terms of relevance of performance are Samsung, nVidia, and Qualcomm; Mediatek is still most irrelevant at this point and HiSilicon is still really far behind. Only 2 of them are using big.LITTLE and only one of them has found success. On top of that, it seems as if it was created as a marketing ploy to push the idea that more cores is better. I can't even find a single sentence on the S6 page that advertises the "octa-core" as a battery saving feature instead of as "the most power and speed we’ve ever put in a smartphone."

Nvidia, Samsung, Qualcomm and MediaTek have big.LITTLE products.

I can't even find a single sentence on the S6 page that advertises the "octa-core" as a battery saving feature 

They mention it (albeit loosely) on the product page, they don't make it a major selling point though.

Peerless Performance

"With twice the booting speed of previous models and super-fast app launching, the Samsung Galaxy S6 gives you unbeatable performance and improved energy efficiency."

Nvidia, Samsung, Qualcomm and MediaTek have big.LITTLE products.

Whoops. Originally I only wrote down sammy, nvidia, and qualcomm and decided to add the other 2 and forgot to edit the rest of the paragraph. I can't seem to find anything from nvidia and big.LITTLE on anandtech's site though... kinda strange.

They mention it (albeit loosely) on the product page, they don't make it a major selling point though.

Peerless Performance

"With twice the booting speed of previous models and super-fast app launching, the Samsung Galaxy S6 gives you unbeatable performance and improved energy efficiency."

It's still hard to say if that's due to big.LITTLE or the move to 14nm or a combination of both.

That still doesn't prove anything at all. And the 3 that I can think of in terms of relevance of performance are Samsung, nVidia, and Qualcomm; Mediatek is still most irrelevant at this point and HiSilicon is still really far behind. Only 2 of them are using big.LITTLE and only one of them has found success. On top of that, it seems as if it was created as a marketing ploy to push the idea that more cores is better. I can't even find a single sentence on the S6 page that advertises the "octa-core" as a battery saving feature instead of as "the most power and speed we’ve ever put in a smartphone.

I don't see why Mediatek is irrelevant, Sony has started using their chips and they power the most Chinese phones on the planet. Their new chips are even very power efficient, look at how much battery life improved on Chinese phones.

Their drawback now is not as good lte modem and stuff, mostly because the chip is much cheaper on it's own.

Whoops. Originally I only wrote down sammy, nvidia, and qualcomm and decided to add the other 2 and forgot to edit the rest of the paragraph. I can't seem to find anything from nvidia and big.LITTLE on anandtech's site though... kinda strange.

It's still hard to say if that's due to big.LITTLE or the move to 14nm or a combination of both.

Note 3 was 28nm big.LITTLE(in the US), Note 4 20nm was big.LITTLE(in the US and Korea), Note 5 14nm is big.LITTLE. Battery life improved with screen getting hungrier and battery shrinking. Something has to give right?

Spoiler

Note 3 was 28nm big.LITTLE(in the US), Note 4 20nm was big.LITTLE(in the US and Korea), Note 5 14nm is big.LITTLE. Battery life improved with screen getting hungrier and battery shrinking. Something has to give right?

I don't recall the Note 4 being big.LITTLE, iirc it's sd 805. And Samsung has been stepping up their display game big time. With every generation of AMOLED, they have managed to increase brightness and reduce power consumption. Anandtech did a pretty in depth analysis on it here. Of course, with every die shrink comes the opportunity to reduce power consumption, however the benefits of big.LITTLE, if any, is overshadowed by these die shrinks. You haven't offered me any tangible evidence to prove that big.LITTLE helps. I should be a bit reserved and say that it probably does help a little in overall system efficiency, but it's hard to see it without any tests done.