new build starts for half a second then nothing

chopstyx

Hi everyone, i recently just got my parts and just put everything together, however when i press the power button, it only starts for about half a second, these being the CPU fan, top case fan, rear case fan, PSU fan a little, (less that the other fans) and a blue LED on the motherboard lights up for that split second. I'm very positive i put everything together correctly however im clueless about the problem. :(

The system specs :

case : Antec gx700

MoBo: MSI 970A-G46

CPU : AMD FX 6300

CPU FAN : CoolerMaster Hyper 212

PSU : OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W

GPU : AMD MSI 7850 Twin Frozr 2GB

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB

I also noticed on the 20+4pin one of the pins on the cable is missing, not sure if thats normal or not as the slot on the mobo was not blocked out.

These are all new parts.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated please and thanks.

I have also tried taking everything out of the case and running with bare minimum and still get the same results,

if I'm right about what you mean then the 23 pin thing is normal,it's the -5v and it was removed since it's not used by modern motherboards.although trying out a different psu would be a good idea just to rule it out

try taking out the processor and making sure that it's installed correctly.

did you install the standoffs beneath the motherboard?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

if I'm right about what you mean then the 23 pin thing is normal,it's the -5v and it was removed since it's not used by modern motherboards.although trying out a different psu would be a good idea just to rule it out

try taking out the processor and making sure that it's installed correctly.

did you install the standoffs beneath the motherboard?

My stomach points to the standoffs too. My friend had the exact problem when he first built his computer and it was because he didn't know he was suppose to use the gold standoffs.

Sounds like a CPU power issue. Everything seated properly?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Yes everything was installed correctly and i had the 6 gold standoffs correctly in place , i also have taken the motherboard out of the case to test so thats not the issue, i really have no idea left what to do

Do you have a speaker installed on the board? Do you hear any beep codes?

I'd take everything out, leave 1 RAM chip in and a CPU and then try boot.

I do not have speakers, none came with the board

Also check - your hyper 212. I had one, and I litterally seated it wrong twice, no less, and it wasn't properly contacting the CPU. Make sure it is one the CPU, solid. Maybe the system is shutting down due to thermal?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Also check - your hyper 212. I had one, and I litterally seated it wrong twice, no less, and it wasn't properly contacting the CPU. Make sure it is one the CPU, solid. Maybe the system is shutting down due to thermal?
then it would turn on for a bit and then turn off,his immediately turns off,less than a second after pressing the power button.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I do not have speakers, none came with the board
You may want to get one then. They're only a couple of dollars on like eBay and Amazon.

bad mobo maybe? i literally have the same thing happen today

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Completely disconnect all the wires from the power supply to the board\cards including the AC wire. With everything disconnected Jumper the PSU. Heres how to do it in 3 simple steps.

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components.

When jumpered and the switch on the PSU is "ON" the PSU should fire up (fan spins)

Is your board on the motherboard box without the anti static bag underneath? If not put it on there for testing.

Triple check your CPU. make sure no pins are bent and it is seated properly in the socket.

try the stock cooler to maybe rule out the cooler mounting.

only use 1 stick of ram when trying to boot up. try the same stick in all the slots. then try the other stick.

make sure your video cards pci-e connectors are plugged in and secure. same with the 8 pin atx connector

good luck!

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Hi, i have jumpered the PSU and the fan was spinning fine, is that safe to say theres nothing wrong with the PSU?

i have the motherboard on the motherboard box and those were the result,

my CPU pins are perfect and was seated correctly,

i have tried the stock cpu cooler also with the same results

1 RAM inserted yes

all other connectors were plugged in secure and even tested without them.

so is it safe to say its the motherboard? or does anyone have anything els to help? otherwise i guess i'll send back the motherboard

also, looking at the rig, is this 600W enough for it?

thanks again

I recently had the same problem, and for me it was a faulty motherboard. I picked the parts from a terrible reseller, and I had to wait 2 months until the damn board would be replaced!

try to fire it up without the video card. just see if it turns on without the vid card installed. if the result is the same it is NOT the vid card.

hard to really say what the problem is. can you test the ram in another machine?

how are you turning the board on and off when outside the case?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

is your ram on the QVL?

check to see if others have run this ram on this board.

When this happens to me I just clear the cmos and everything works. It happens a lot really when putting together a new systems or even starting up an old system that hasn't been used in a while.

hi, i have decided to return the motherboard and opted for a ASUS 970 M5A97 LE R2.0 and hopefully that will be the fix, if not i will also try to change the psu too.

@ prokon, > i just grab the switches from the case over, it reaches

[h=3][/h]

hi, i have decided to return the motherboard and opted for a ASUS 970 M5A97 LE R2.0 and hopefully that will be the fix, if not i will also try to change the psu too.

@ prokon, > i just grab the switches from the case over, it reaches

[h=3][/h]

I believe you just ran into a BIOS issue, usually 990fx & 970 rev1 boards would require a bios update to recognize amd Vishera CPUs .

You can always try to turn the board on and off manually by jumping the 2 pins for the power on the board. Use a screwdriver or old jumper block. I wonder if its a problem with the case switch. Google how to do this properly if your not sure.

Im leaning toward it being a board issue or bios issue as techfan has pointed out.

@techfan@ic how would i go about fixing that issue if i am not able to even boot the pc? however, does that mean i might have the same problem with the new motherboard i just mentioned?

@techfan@ic how would i go about fixing that issue if i am not able to even boot the pc? however' date=' does that mean i might have the same problem with the new motherboard i just mentioned?[/quote']

That's the tricky part, you need to use an old CPU to let the system boot & then update the bios via a flash drive, this is only feasible if you already have a CPU that's compatible with the socket.

@ the second question , no you will not face this issue with the Asus board for two reasons .

1- it's the Rev2 board which already has Vishera Bios support .

2- Asus has a great technology that allows you to update the bios without even having the CPU or the RAM installed .

I hope this helps .

@ TechFan@ic

You just saved me. Thank you so much <3

however, i have 1 question,

does this mean that my system is not booting because my mobo is not supporting the vishera series? and that if the mobo is updated, it will finally boot, unless there IS a problem with the mobo.

@ TechFan@ic You just saved me. Thank you so much <3

You are quite welcome .

However' date=' i have 1 question, does this mean that my system is not booting because my mobo is not supporting the vishera series? and that if the mobo is updated, it will finally boot, unless there IS a problem with the mobo. [/quote']

In all likely hood yes, the reason your system is not posting is probably because your motherboard doesn't have an up-to-date BIOS version that supports the Vishera series of processors .

Try looking into your manual to figure out what revision the board is and what BIOS version is currently installed on the board revision .

Here is the CPU support list from MSI : http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#?div=CPUSupport Press CTRL+F then type Vishera, under the result tab you will find the BIOS version you need .

If your system still doesn't boot even after you update the BIOS then it's definitely something else , and the board it-self or another component might be defective .

Again I hope this helps, cheers .

Thank you very very much, much appreciated.