Skylake & Haswell-E PCIe lane misconception

18 hours ago, yourlocalgp said:

so what could i clock the 5820k to ? could i take it up to 4.0ghz without an issue? im going to be watercooling the cpu with the corsair kit, and if i couldnt what would be a respectable speed to clock this to? 

As stated above, mild ocs up to 4.4 are nearly guaranteed at 1.3V.

Most new chips will run 4.5 at that voltage, and once you start messing with Vccin, 4.7-4.9 is generally achievable at 1.4-1.45V. 

Haswell-E in that context is a pretty decent OCr.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Can anyone answer what the temps on average are like for a 5820K at stock and OC to say 4.2 - 4.5 using a H110i GTX with ambient temps around 20-21.

ETA: or even just temps in general period.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Can anyone answer what the temps on average are like for a 5820K at stock and OC to say 4.2 - 4.5 using a H110i GTX with ambient temps around 20-21.

ETA: or even just temps in general period.

I have my 5930K at 4.4GHz @ 1.3v with a Corsair H100i. Ambient temps are about 20-21. Idle it's around 35*, under load 65*ish. I only have the fans ramp up to ~60% when it gets that warm, so I could keep it cooler, but then it sounds like a damn hair dryer.

ok this sounds awesome! thanks alot for your help ! i will maybe putting up like a build on here soon and might ask you what you think on the overall specs if thats cool! thanks for the help dude ! really appreciate it ! im pretty much sold on the 5820k now ! you DA MAN!! or GRILL! :D

hello  i have some questions to some processor and graphics card stuff,

is a radeon r9 390 and an intel core i5 6400k 16 gigs of ram and an 500 watt psu a good choice?

or do i need a better or more powerful psu?

3 hours ago, Illuminati Gamer said:

hello  i have some questions to some processor and graphics card stuff,

is a radeon r9 390 and an intel core i5 6400k 16 gigs of ram and an 500 watt psu a good choice?

or do i need a better or more powerful psu?

This is not a thread for general questions. Please start a new thread for this.

On 10/6/2015 at 5:19 AM, Sakkura said:

On 10/6/2015 at 5:19 AM, Sakkura said:

Okay, so watching the 5820K vs 6700K showdown video on Vessel, I came across a common misconception about the PCIe lanes on Skylake and Haswell-E unfortunately being perpetuated by @Slick.

The Core i7-6700K, and all the other Skylake CPUs, offers 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The chipset offers additional PCIe lanes separately from that. For the Z170 chipset, that's 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes, a huge boost over Z97 which had just 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes. Luke was just saying 20 lanes, which is not really correct; there is a kernel of truth to it though, because while the chipset offers all those lanes, it's still only connected to the CPU by a DMI 3.0 link that's equivalent to 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (in addition to the 16 lanes directly from the CPU). Still, you can hook up lots of PCIe 3.0 SSDs to the chipset just fine without affecting lanes for the GPU(s). Just don't expect RAID0 to give you like 10GB/s combined bandwidth.

As for the Core i7-5820K, it offers the well-known 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes directly from the CPU. But again, the chipset offers additional PCIe lanes. In this case, X99 is far inferior to Z170, because it only offers 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes (just like Z97).

Here are the block diagrams showing what I explained above:

Hidden Content

Do note that the lower-end chipsets, eg. H110, cut down on the PCIe connectivity on offer.

This is very helpful I thought i would only be able to run two graphics cards thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So, does this in theory, not fuck up my SLI config with my 6700K if i add a M.2 or PCI-E SSD?

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

On Tuesday, October 06, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Sakkura said:

Okay, so watching the 5820K vs 6700K showdown video on Vessel, I came across a common misconception about the PCIe lanes on Skylake and Haswell-E unfortunately being perpetuated by @Slick.

The Core i7-6700K, and all the other Skylake CPUs, offers 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The chipset offers additional PCIe lanes separately from that. For the Z170 chipset, that's 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes, a huge boost over Z97 which had just 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes. Luke was just saying 20 lanes, which is not really correct; there is a kernel of truth to it though, because while the chipset offers all those lanes, it's still only connected to the CPU by a DMI 3.0 link that's equivalent to 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (in addition to the 16 lanes directly from the CPU). Still, you can hook up lots of PCIe 3.0 SSDs to the chipset just fine without affecting lanes for the GPU(s). Just don't expect RAID0 to give you like 10GB/s combined bandwidth.

As for the Core i7-5820K, it offers the well-known 28 PCIe 3.0 lanes directly from the CPU. But again, the chipset offers additional PCIe lanes. In this case, X99 is far inferior to Z170, because it only offers 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes (just like Z97).

Here are the block diagrams showing what I explained above:

Hidden Content

Do note that the lower-end chipsets, eg. H110, cut down on the PCIe connectivity on offer.

U Are right and very wrong according to INtel arc..ILl tell u IN another thread

9 hours ago, TeeTwo said:

So, does this in theory, not fuck up my SLI config with my 6700K if i add a M.2 or PCI-E SSD?

no.

gpu lanes and m.2 storage is seperate

however, pci e storage may use the same lanes.. dont quote me on that

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Lol iF yOu saY So

Uh huh

I caught INtel slipping..ILl xplain later today

On 2/29/2016 at 4:00 PM, TeeTwo said:

this is what it is intended to do.

On 01/03/2016 at 7:07 AM, Bajantechnician said:

lOL yEaH i beT yoU cAuGht iNteL SliPpIng

Y3 M4N 

i caught them lying on their website and they changed it to some realy confusing stuff thats hard to make sence off the next day regarding cpu lanes and chipsets

they basicaly stated,, and if u want i can get their exact words, nomatter howmany lanes your cpu is

it gets decided by the chipset

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Y3 M4N 

i caught them lying on their website and they changed it to some realy confusing stuff thats hard to make sence off the next day regarding cpu lanes and chipsets

they basicaly stated,, and if u want i can get their exact words, nomatter howmany lanes your cpu is

it gets decided by the chipset

Thats soo bull

lol

(but yeah I guess that makes no sence)

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Thats soo bull

lol

(but yeah I guess that makes no sence)

u want to see what it said first

then what they changed it to?

it makes sence,, look at how "pci-e lane" speeds dont change nothing

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

u want to see what it said first

then what they changed it to?

it makes sence,, look at how "pci-e lane" speeds dont change nothing

PCIe speeds do change the amount of bandwidth provided.

amd cards are verified to run at 4x speeds fine, and nvidia needs 8x speeds.

also, spell check,

sense, not sence

sence is not a word

AnD iTs weIrD whEN yOu tYPe liKe ThiS

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

also, spell check,

sense, not sence

sence is not a word

fine is questionable. It all depends on what you are throwing at it. Also 4x off the chipset is NOT fine even though it may work.

7 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

fine is questionable. It all depends on what you are throwing at it. Also 4x off the chipset is NOT fine even though it may work.

for amd, it is validated to work the same, as higher speeds. nvidia is validated to run 8x

16 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

also, spell check,

sense, not sence

sence is not a word

haha yea i type in leet speak toomuch

yea they state pci speeds ,,but benchmarks prove otherwise

14 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

But this is what intel state in INTEL ARC

nomatter howmany lanes your cpu has, it will use the maximum lanes of what the chipset has

19 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

for amd, it is validated to work the same, as higher speeds. nvidia is validated to run 8x

Do i need to go over the bandwidth restriction of the DMI bus especially the now older 2.0 one found in more systems? What about the latency increase?

12 hours ago, El Diablo said:

-snip-

nomatter howmany lanes your cpu has, it will use the maximum lanes of what the chipset has

What are you going on about now? The DMI has a specific amount of bandwidth. Everything plugged into the chipset, no matter how many lanes the chipset has, utilize this bandwidth which. This bandwith is less than the number of lanes that the chipset has since they dont expect you to run multiple heavy load device through it. I have already been over this in this thread in relation to just a 950 Pro which alone nearly maxes out the DMI on reads.

11 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

Do i need to go over the bandwidth restriction of the DMI bus especially the now older 2.0 one found in more systems? What about the latency increase?

What are you going on about now? The DMI has a specific amount of bandwidth. Everything plugged into the chipset, no matter how many lanes the chipset has, utilize this bandwidth which. This bandwith is less than the number of lanes that the chipset has since they dont expect you to run multiple heavy load device through it. I have already been over this in this thread in relation to just a 950 Pro which alone nearly maxes out the DMI on reads.

im just stating what intel state themsefs