Skylake & Haswell-E PCIe lane misconception

Then it's technically not the motherboard doing it. Also, add-in cards add cost and complexity. It's more of a workaround than a solution IMO. But at least you have the option.

Yes it isn't the "chipset" but it is a universal feature of the lineup (all cpus and all motherboards).

Besides technically it's a lower latency solution than dmi 3.0 so if you want to really be pedantic, 2011v3 m.2 is theoretically a better solution all-together.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Which the x99 boards support as well. (again through the cpu socket not the chipset officially)

And really the difference between 300 ns and probably 310-350 (from the chipset) isn't a relevant discussion to performance, I was just being pedantic.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp350.pdf

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Not necessarily lower latency, because you get NVMe support with Z170.

There is indeed additional latency when using PCI-E lanes through the chipset. This doesn't really matter all the much for storage since it's that minute. Where it would matter is when running a GPU through it, especially when you have another that is not.

Which the x99 boards support as well. (again through the cpu socket not the chipset officially)

AFAIK a lot of them don't.

AFAIK a lot of them don't.

They all do now. They all have since like 1h 2015 (at least all asrock, gigabyte, Asus, and msi boards...)

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1358

http://www.maximumpc.com/msi-throws-weight-behind-nvme-adds-support-x99-z97-and-h97-motherboards/

Note that while many z97 boards have support, they may have limitations based on how the m.2 is implemented (dmi 2.0 or graphics lanes). This is not the case for x99 as no one needed to do chipset in order to support sli.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

They all do now. They all have since like 1h 2015 (at least all asrock, gigabyte, Asus, and msi boards...)

Looks like they just rarely update their specifications or compatibility pages then.

Looks like they just rarely update their specifications or compatibility pages then.

Indeed.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Indeed.

Yep gotta read dem BIOS / UEFI update change logs.

Yep gotta read dem BIOS / UEFI update change logs.

Doesn't always help. Look here, for example.

Doesn't always help. Look here, for example.

For what is probably the most important bit of software on the computer, motherboard BIOS patchnotes always disappoint :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

For what is probably the most important bit of software on the computer, motherboard BIOS patchnotes always disappoint :/

Its better than most things. I know everything has a changelog but such few things actually publish it.

• 4 weeks later...

for broadwell-e i dont see why they wouldnt make a new chipset

Cause broadwell itself didn't need it which indicates at least significant compatibility with Haswell/-E. Plus on the -E chipset it is fairly standard practice to allow at least two generations to use the product.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

for broadwell-e i dont see why they wouldnt make a new chipset

because it doesnt need one and enthusiast platform gets at least 2 CPU's per chipset

because it doesnt need one and enthusiast platform gets at least 2 CPU's per chipset

Echo echo! hahah It's all good.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So, Could I possibly run two 980tis in SLI if I also have a wifi card plugged in with a 6700k? I'm confused about this. I now that each card needs at least 8 lanes to work propely, so Could I do this? The Wifi Card is an Asus PCE AC86

So, Could I possibly run two 980tis in SLI if I also have a wifi card plugged in with a 6700k? I'm confused about this. I now that each card needs at least 8 lanes to work propely, so Could I do this? The Wifi Card is an Asus PCE AC86

If you use chipset lanes for the wifi card youll be fine usually there is at least one 4x slot usable

If you use chipset lanes for the wifi card youll be fine usually there is at least one 4x slot usable

I forgot to mention that I also have a Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSd. Will that change anything?

I forgot to mention that I also have a Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSd. Will that change anything?

All depends on the layout of the lanes on the motherboard from the chipset

All depends on the layout of the lanes on the motherboard from the chiThe SSD pset

The SSD uses 4 PCI-E gen 2 lanes, and the MoBo is an MSI Z170A Gaming M7

The SSD uses 4 PCI-E gen 2 lanes, and the MoBo is an MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Download the manual thee will be a whole section for how the lanes are distributed. If you need help interpreting it let me know.

Just letting everyone know, there is a non-negligible improvement going from any quad core cpu currently on the market with high end SLI builds to a 5820k (and that is with current games that barely tap 3 threads).

Would never recommend z series with that.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So what does this mean for the M.2 slot on some motherboards (namely the ASUS Maximus Hero Viii since I'm using it for my new rig here soon)

I know the M.2 on it will use PCIe 3.0 4x but will that be from the chipset or the CPU?

The reason I'm asking is because I will have two 980Ti in SLI run off the CPU and the other PCI card I need to install is the Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro so I don't know how this will affect the lanes I will have/need. 

The ASUS website also says for the M.2 slot it will run in SATA mode, what does this mean?

Mainframe:// SIVA

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz 16Gb
  • GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
  • Case Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
  • Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB / 1x WD Black 3TB
  • PSU EVGA Supernova 1000x
  • Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
  • Displays Acer Predator x34 Ultrawide, LG 2558UM-P
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.