Honestly @LinusTech, I thought that you would go with a 1U drawer KVM since you don't have much space in the server room anyway. Why did you go for the wall mounted option? Doesn't seem logical to me. Btw- if you mount the switches the other way around you get to cable manage the whole thing and keep the front tidy.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I would have much preferred a rack-mounted KVM / screen.

A rack console IP KVM, clean, sleek, and a bit more convenient than a wall mounted solution because it puts you in front of the rack. blu4, on 07 Oct 2015 - 4:12 PM, said:

Honestly @LinusTech, I thought that you would go with a 1U drawer KVM since you don't have much space in the server room anyway. Why did you go for the wall mounted option? Doesn't seem logical to me.

I'm pretty sure says in the video that he chose not to mount the KVM in the rack because there wasn't much space left in the rack and he didn't want to waste it.

I have to agree.  When you're using that amount of UPS, then you have to consider one large UPS that's not rack-mounted and taking over the sockets in the server room when power goes.

Rack-mounted KVM is the way to go, instead of sticking it to the wall.  Looks horrible.

Exactly, why go to the bother of setting up a rack with a proper KVM.

Really would LOVE to know what motherboard is being used on the 'fraser server'

please and thank you :)

What is an MRV? What does it do?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Hey Linus.  What an awesome video and as an IT admin myself I was totally salivating over your rack and cable management.  That is a butt load of storage and the 10GbE will surely allow blazing fast file transfers.  Working for a children's television production company myself I am always looking to see what cool and new ways to improve my company's network needs.  I do have one particular question regarding your network.  What do you do about backup and disaster recovery?  In the event of a fire or flood (or whatever) which completely compromises the server room (building); how are you backing up all that precious data?  I have to deal with this questions and find it hard just being able to cover 7-8TB of data with a small budget.  I still use LTO4 tapes to backup large video files and store them offsite and even have copies of ProRes video files on external hard drives stored offsite.  Currently I use Box.com to try and store as much of the smaller data as I can on their servers in the cloud and transfer over VPN to our London office.  I can't imagine how you're handling all your data and thought it would be cool if you showed a video about backing up all your data.  

Anyhow, tl;dr.  Great video!! 

He has (Or will have....) a server in his ISP's DC which he is connected directly to via his gigabit fiber line.... Server just appears as another server on the local LAN and he has a HUGE amount of network 'storage' / backup capacity.... I'm really hoping he makes a video with a little more detail about this. But super awesome solution in my mind. Obviously not one that is easily implemented by alot of people.

Hey guys,

I'm new here and also Dutch. So my english won't be as good as yours. I stumbled on a 'cable-management-thing' called Patchedbox. Maybe something for LMG. Link: http://patchbox.at/

• 2 months later...

He has (Or will have....) a server in his ISP's DC which he is connected directly to via his gigabit fiber line.... Server just appears as another server on the local LAN and he has a HUGE amount of network 'storage' / backup capacity.... I'm really hoping he makes a video with a little more detail about this. But super awesome solution in my mind. Obviously not one that is easily implemented by alot of people.

Too bad that never actually happened until *after* a failed DR scenario

• 3 weeks later...

What is an MRV? What does it do?

MRV is a manufacturer. The box in question is an MRV OptiSwitch 906G. It is essentially a switch, connecting LMG to the ISP via single-mode fiber

Whilst the ISP claims it costs $40k, that would most likely be list price. Real world prices are *much* lower, and in fact, you can get one on eBay right now (used) for $650

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me the model number of the GE UPSs that are shown in the video? Thanks!