Thread derailed big time :D more opinions needed!

JSG509

As stated in previous posts, the hyperx are based on the takstar pro 80, which is already a decent headphone. That's why they are so hyped. They are actually decent headphones first, and they just happen to have a decent enough mic, so everyone is blown away by the quality, although you could just get a pro 80 and a Zalman clip mic, and be just as well off.

Plus cheaper and you get the great case.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thanks to all the reply's does far.  Im at a point in my life (debt free) that I tend to gravitate to the higher end products and am a strong believer in "spend once cry once".  I can see why the clouds are getting so much attention and in my opinion I think the majority of the people buying them are the younger crowd or people on a budget. I mean at the end of the day at the price point this would be a great buy for most.  Moving forward Im going to spend the next week learning as much as I can about headphone/ mic combos and hopefully make a decision soon because I just want to shoot my self when I throw the razer blacksharks on. Honestly dont know what I was thinking, I think I was on drugs or heavily medicated at the time of the purchase.    

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

You're entering a zone of madness, confusion, audio-snobbism and information-overload so BE WARNED. :)

Headphones are highly subjective thing, HIGHLY but you can prosper out of reviews and unboxings but not much. There is no perfect headphone.

If you're looking for a bass heavy you will not get good mids and highs.

If you're looking for bigger soundstage you will most likely not get a good bass headphones and that treble will pierce your ears.

If you're looking for a flat/neutral one, you will be disappointed in one time, you might find them "dry-sounding" or too boring maybe and you will he to EQ them all the time forever.

If you're looking for a "fun" headphones (the emphasis will mostly be in sub-bass/bass and mids region) you will most likely loose even the basic sharpness of that treble.

If you're looking for "gaming" you will most likely end up with some headphones with weak bass response (really don't know wtf is with that, weak bass headphones for gaming? WTF).

And all in all :

If you're looking for a closed set of cans that is atm of the most imperative for you for varios reasons you will most likely end up with "box-sound" chocked with bass etc.

If you're looking for more open version that will give you more accurate presentation of your sound you will most likely end up with almost non-existing bass and pretty high treble, not to mention that you MUST be alone when you're wearing them, I mean, NO ONE IN THE ROOM WITH YOU alone. If not you will annoy the crap out of anyone near you.

Now, I'm not even going to mention BUILD QUALITY in details because most of the time you will get pretty good all-around sound signature but bad build quality and vice versa.

Ah, and there are "the audiophiles" whos taste is impeccable and you're deaf of course.

And then again, if you want that perfect all-around sound and overall build quality with no trade-in's you must pay over 1000$/€ just for that headphones, lamp amplifiers not even counting. Period. 

All in all, everything is strictly subjective and the best choice is that there is so many choices that will drive you mad. :)

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Thanks to all the reply's does far. Im at a point in my life (debt free) that I tend to gravitate to the higher end products and am a strong believer in "spend once cry once". I can see why the clouds are getting so much attention and in my opinion I think the majority of the people buying them are the younger crowd or people on a budget. I mean at the end of the day at the price point this would be a great buy for most. Moving forward Im going to spend the next week learning as much as I can about headphone/ mic combos and hopefully make a decision soon because I just want to shoot my self when I throw the razer blacksharks on. Honestly dont know what I was thinking, I think I was on drugs or heavily medicated at the time of the purchase.

If you're looking for fact-based performance opinions, either here (from the regulars) or hydrogenaud.io are good places to ask. Head-fi can give you a good summary of how headphones sound when compared to each other (e.g. Headphone a has more treble and bass than headphone b, but headphone b has a much better mid range.) so head-fi does have its place, just don't go over there expecting completely factual stuff about headphones.

Some brands you may want to look at (and keep in mind, this is a general suggestion, and many of these may be well outside your budget) would be Audeze, hifiman (particularly the he-500, although you will need an AMP, more than likely, and it will take your whole budget just for the headphones) the Sennheiser hd600 and 650 are much loved by many, and fall well within your budget, although the Philips x2 may be more to your liking. You should also look at the Beyer models, although I can't speak for any of them, as I haven't ever tried any of them, let alone even held a pair (although I did see the box of one, once... Lol)

Shure also has some decent over ears, but from what I've heard, they definitely aren't spectacular, at least the lowest priced one isn't, I think...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Because it's in the name. "Hype"r X Cloud. Get it?

le snip

It's completely subjective until it isn't because more expensive gear is always better and some gear just synergizes well while some doesn't. And oh, the HD800 is the best headphone ever.

Because it's in the name. "Hype"r X Cloud. Get it?

It's completely subjective until it isn't because more expensive gear is always better and some gear just synergizes well while some doesn't. And oh, the HD800 is the best headphone ever.

But $1400.00 and they are crazy big.  Also can I use them to play Minecraft? 

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

But $1400.00 and they are crazy big. Also can I use them to play Minecraft?

You can, and he was being very sarcastic about that hd800 comment, I think... That being said, the hd800 *is* the best performing dynamic headphone that I know if, which is quite a feat.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

q

With a 500$ budget he could easily get an AT2020 / Yeti and a great pair of cans lol, what do you mean he can't get both?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

With a 500$ budget he could easily get an AT2020 / Yeti and a great pair of cans lol, what do you mean he can't get both?

Neither if those mics are hella nice. That's what I mean.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

HyperX Cloud is the VALUE headset. It's the best sounding for the price. Anything above it's price it's always better to go separate.

HD 558 sounds better. W00ps

HD 558 sounds better. W00ps

Minus the fact that the 558 is NOT a headset... 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

$500 headphones are generally good, not absurd. Also, nice mics generally cost more than half of the OPs budget, so you wouldn't be able to get a "hella nice" mic and great headphones for the budget.

Honestly, a separate mic is going to serve you much better than a headset would. You could go for a Philips Fidelio X2, and a vmoda boompro. That's a pretty good combo, and it gives you about $150 left for a dac/amp, although I'd like to point out that you probably won't need one, given that the Fidelios should be sufficiently sensitive. If you do insist on getting one though, an SMSL SD 793-II is pretty much as good as you'll ever need. Only caveat is that it's coax only, so if your motherboard doesn't have coax, you'll have issues, in which case there are other options, but that's the best one.

As stated in previous posts, the hyperx are based on the takstar pro 80, which is already a decent headphone. That's why they are so hyped. They are actually decent headphones first, and they just happen to have a decent enough mic, so everyone is blown away by the quality, although you could just get a pro 80 and a Zalman clip mic, and be just as well off.

As I said above, you probably don't need one, but it's up to you.

$350 headphones and $150 mics are generally pretty good.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

Minus the fact that the 558 is NOT a headset... 

$128 for $20 mic + $108 headset which is similar pricing to the HyperX.

But they aren't exceptional or amazing, or hella good.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

$128 for $20 mic + $108 headset which is similar pricing to the HyperX.

It's STILL not a headset. It's a pair of headphones that have a mic glued on.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

It's STILL not a headset. It's a pair of headphones that have a mic glued on.

So as long as it's wired it's fine? k.

Also HD 600 + AT 2020 = $500

So as long as it's wired it's fine? k.

Also HD 600 + AT 2020 = $500

What are you even trying to argue here?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

That you can glue/velcro the mic on and you can have VERY exceptional headphones + mic for $500.

A headset will never be as good as a a pair of headphones plus seperate mic. No argument. This is coming from someone who has on,y ever owned headsets.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

That you can glue/velcro the mic on and you can have VERY exceptional headphones + mic for $500.

Decent? Sure. Good, even, certainly. Exceptional though? Not really... Not if we are talking mic and headphones. Very exceptional? Not even. 

And if we are talking about a decent mic, that's at least $150, and a great one would probably take up the whole budget at the very least. 

A headset will never be as good as a a pair of headphones plus seperate mic. No argument. This is coming from someone who has on,y ever owned headsets.

Yeah, I still don't see why SparcASM is trying to argue with me. I never said that headphones at a given price point will sound better than a headset in the same price bracket. All I said was that the Sennheiser HD5-whatever was not a headset. And it still isn't a headset, even if you add the mod-mic. (The Philips Fidelio X2 are somewhat of an exception, due to the fact that they can use the Vmoda BoomPro and become a headset. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

But TOTL headphones have that certain je n'est sais quoi about them.

Like I said the budget is extremely flexible.  So I looked at the mmx300 but i cant pull the trigger too many bad reviews as of recent.  Starting to think headphones and mic combo is the way to go but out of all the headphones I have seen so far every review recommends a dac amp.  Many on the forums here have said on board audio is great now a days but would I really be getting all that i can from a $500 plus headphones.  The hunt for a great pear of headphone and mic still continues! I will be checking out all of the options posted in this thread as well but the MMX300 were among the first suggested.  

It can't hold a candle to my Corsair HS-1.

Not even going to bother considering them when I'll be replacing my headset

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Like I said the budget is extremely flexible.  So I looked at the mmx300 but i cant pull the trigger too many bad reviews as of recent.  Starting to think headphones and mic combo is the way to go but out of all the headphones I have seen so far every review recommends a dac amp.  Many on the forums here have said on board audio is great now a days but would I really be getting all that i can from a $500 plus headphones.  The hunt for a great pear of headphone and mic still continues! I will be checking out all of the options posted in this thread as well but the MMX300 were among the first suggested.  

Is a headSET what you are directly after? If so I def would not recommend the MMX300 for the price, but the Sennheiser G4ME One would be a good choice in the upper end for headsets and it uses drivers from the HD598, so can't go wrong there unless there is a certain sound signature you are after.

I say branch out into a proper set of cans and a modmic. Unless you need professional audio equipment and such, the modmic should be more than fine as a mic.

It can't hold a candle to my Corsair HS-1.

Not even going to bother considering them when I'll be replacing my headset

What gives you that impression? The Corsair headsets will not come close to the Takstar Pro80.... Maybe if the Corsair were priced at $20-$30, where the price reflects the quality you get from them, Corsair would be viable.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2