Valve Employee Proposes using Virtual Reality

christianled59

Virtual reality is making its way to the mainstream. Personally, I'm hoping VR is a success. One of these days we could see VR becoming as social as mobile phones. A valve employee used the HTC Vive as a unique and adorable way to propose.

The HTC Vive virtual reality headset hasn't yet reached store shelves, meaning only a select few developers have gotten their hands on pre-release kits and explored the possibilities of "room-scale" VR. For one staffer at Valve Software, the Vive's official SteamVR partner, that meant an opportunity to claim first dibs on doing something nobody else has ever done with a Vive headset: propose marriage.

The news came from the bride-to-be's public Facebook feed, and the proposal took place in a Vive testing room at Valve's headquarters in Bellevue, WA. Kelly Tortorice had gone to the Valve offices—where her then-boyfriend, now-fiancé Chandler Murch works—under the pretenses of trying out a range of SteamVR demos (including the very-impressive Tilt Brush art app) that the company has shown off at various gaming expos in the past year.

"So there I was, typical day... on a sunken ship deck; fixing robots; painting three-dimensional fire; walking through the Alps," Tortorice wrote. "Suddenly, a virtual engagement ring started floating my way."

As Tortorice's Facebook photos reveal, Murch had walked toward her while holding a trackable HTC Vive wand controller, which she saw through her headset as a ring floating toward her in mid-air—meaning, this was perhaps a bit higher-tech than a Google Cardboard proposal that was publicized in April. She then took the headset off to see Murch on one knee, where she'd seen the virtual ring floating, with both the wand and a real engagement ring in his hands. "It wasn't imaginary anymore," she noted. (Pardon the suspense: She said yes.

So what do you guys think of this? What are your hopes of VR? Which are you more interested in? HTC Vive or Oculus?

imaged3d0f.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/10/valve-employee-uses-virtual-reality-to-propose-real-life-marriage/

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I personally don't understand VR...

I'd rather experience reality in REALITY.

Virtual stuff is just ridiculous in my opinion.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I'm interested in where VR goes, but I doubt I'll get involved myself.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

So where is real ring?

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

VR might have gained a lot of track now (And you know why: not it's not the tech, is not the potential, it's because Facebook bought Oculus) but I still maintain it's just an unpractical, not really needed fad that will die out quickly not unlike 3D.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So you like getting shot at in real life? Jumping from helicopters and racing at stupid fast speeds?

Not to mention flying in a space craft or airplane.

Sure, using VR for something that you can easily and without problem do IRL its silly, but for most other stuff its a very very good substitute (being both cheaper and safer)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think VR is interesting, but its still 10 years out or so before being really nice.

We'd need ~80 megapixel 200hz or so display + way better motion tracking + good sub 500$ omni directional threadmills + 

some advanced software for the motion tracking input.

Over 20 years after it's invention, VR still clunky and not very good at all. Hope to see it go mainstream before I die.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

thats interesting xD

here. lets have a virtual marriage ! so I don't Really get in trouble !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

VR might have gained a lot of track now (And you know why: not it's not the tech, is not the potential, it's because Facebook bought Oculus) but I still maintain it's just an unpractical, not really needed fad that will die out quickly not unlike 3D.

The thing is VR is 3D done right.

Without the limitations and image quality problems of things like 3d tv.

I think the head mounted displays VR will not die. I think it will keep evolving and get lighter, less bulky and eventually it will be no less inconvenient than wearing glasses.

I think VR is interesting, but its still 10 years out or so before being really nice.

We'd need ~80 megapixel 200hz or so display + way better motion tracking + good sub 500$ omni directional threadmills +

some advanced software for the motion tracking input.

I for obe think vr is feasable now. I know I will play racing sims on vr till my eyes bleed or my stomach churns. Also all that list of kit is way overkill. If we were waiting for affordable all that, we will be waiting for a long time. Wait until you start renting a flat of your own then tall me where you will stick a threadmill and all that. VR is here now and I intend to enjoy it.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

It's not about experiencing reality in a headset.

You're leaving out the word virtual.

We can't really expect virtual reality to succeed when we haven't even yet mastered augmented reality, something I think is much more practical and will have real-world uses.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

The thing is VR is 3D done right.

Without the limitations and image quality problems of things like 3d tv.

I think the head mounted displays VR will not die. I think it will keep evolving and get lighter, less bulky and eventually it will be no less inconvenient than wearing glasses.

Well I could agree on that much: 3D done right. And the VR headset being lighter and such would be nice, however we can pretty much go back to the example and look at 3D: it has resurfaced numerous times and goes all the way back to like the 50s and 60s (I think, judging from the age of some of the old 3D films) and each time people get exited for it and forget why it failed: It wasn't necessarily the tech involved. It's the fact that is tech is usually the only focus and we end up with just tech demos.

That's really the issue at hand here: Nobody is designing from the ground up to make a VR experience that people want. And it's because is deceptively simple to use a few tricks here and there or just take something that already has 3D elements like FPS games and call it the next step. In reality this is not unlike the development of cinema: You should try to watch some of the classic films right after silent era stuff and see just how awkward those were: it was just basically people putting theater plays in front of a camera, and the actors and stories pretty much reflected this.

It took decades for the medium to evolve into what we know today: fast cuts, realistic acting, edited down and modified stories made to do a lot more showing and a lot less telling, etc.

No matter how much people talk about VR is always "Oh it looks awesome" and "The resolution on displays is great!" and so on and so forth. Yet like 3D it runs the risk of falling to the same pitfalls: nothing but adapting existing media for it and maybe adding a few, irrelevant to the experience effects like "Look at how this water drops are coming right at you! Ok that shot was expensive, now back to your typical fly-in-the-wall shot while we show people talking and shit"

If this time the tech gains enough traction and moves towards becoming the standard, then we might see people use it appropriately, but until then just like 3D, the VR parts would be mostly gimmicky and people will have a "good enough" experience on regular 2D panels. The kind of evolving games would need to take advantage of VR won't happen over night it will take years, decades even.

-------

Current Rig

-------

i thought an employee proposed they should use VR in games :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So you like getting shot at in real life? Jumping from helicopters and racing at stupid fast speeds?

Not to mention flying in a space craft or airplane.

Sure, using VR for something that you can easily and without problem do IRL its silly, but for most other stuff its a very very good substitute (being both cheaper and safer)

Well I'm not stupid to get shot at or jump from helicopters but racing at stupid fast speeds? Since when does that require VR ;)

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

then theres the forever alone people :(

They can use VR too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't have really high hopes for VR, it will exist but will remain a niche market. I don't expect to be able to wear such a device for extended periods of time and it wouldn't replace a monitor, so it's someting you need on top of what you already have.

Personally, I find the idea of virtual reality extremely interesting when used as an input into games with a simulating or cinematic experience (driving simulators, space simulators, etc.) not games with an arcade-y experience, and I have high hopes for its success. However, I feel that everything else should either remain essentially the way it is or find a way to implement augmented reality, for I would like to remain in reality for the majority of my time, but that may just be me. We need to have someone pioneer the experience AND the applications.

EDIT: I must add that I have a professor here at my university, who is currently specializing and actively researching virtual reality, and I am trying to research with her. There is some VERY interesting stuff being done on the research end of this field. The scientific and military applications for this technology are basically endless. However, I do think the movie industry is going to move to virtual reality for the home for everything eventually.

It's for things that you CAN'T do in reality. Here's a simple example:

It allows a whole other dimension of entertainment.

If that doesn't change your opinion, then well, ok, but personally I'm excited as heck to get my hands on a VR headset in the future.

Although this virtual reality engagement is kinda ridiculous lol