Best 120mm fans for air cooling

danielhowk

Currently my current Setup is 2 x P12 Noctua fan infront as intake, 1 x P12 Noctua fan Rear as exhaust, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on bottom as intake, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on top as exhaust. is my setup ok ? i was planning to change cause it could be a Tad be noisy 1850 rpm gentle typhoon is abit overkill for air cooling ? i dont know im newbie to this, is what my previous installer, installed for me. not sure if its quiet vs performance, i know it might have alot of performance, but noise could be way more than performance. is the current setup of my fans ok ? anything to change ? should i go with Noctua A-14 ?

Your current fans are great if you can lower their speeds. What's are your specs and current temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Your current fans are great if you can lower their speeds. What's are your specs and current temps?

currently i7 4790k , asus z97 hero , asus strix 780 , noctua d15 , 

im planning to change to i7 6700k , z170 asus hero , msi lightning 980ti , noctua d15 , gskill tridentz

how do i reduce Gentle typhoon Ap-15(1850rpm). 

currently and for next setup ? my temps is about 38C

currently i7 4790k , asus z97 hero , asus strix 780 , noctua d15 , 

im planning to change to i7 6700k , z170 asus hero , msi lightning 980ti , noctua d15 , gskill tridentz

how do i reduce Gentle typhoon Ap-15(1850rpm). 

currently and for next setup ? my temps is about 38C

What are you powering your fans with?

Idle temps don't really matter. What are your load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What are you powering your fans with?

Idle temps don't really matter. What are your load temps?

sorry for my ignorance but how do i make load temps, use gpu mark to increase temp and cpu stress test ?

sorry for my ignorance but how do i make load temps, use gpu mark to increase temp and cpu stress test ?

Something like that or any other cpu/graphics card benchmark test is fine. 

You have a better fan controller built into your motherboard than you can currently buy. The only reason you might not want that splitter is if you want some of the fans going different speeds than others and would use multiple headers. With you setup I dont really see the need for that though.

is my motherboard z170 asus hero have better fan controller than http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html ? which is better to use ? sorry for asking again making sure which to buy. and A-14pwm is the best to go with right ;)

Something like that or any other cpu/graphics card benchmark test is fine. 

is my motherboard z170 asus hero have better fan controller than http://www.performan...r-box-sata.html ? which is better to use ? sorry for asking again making sure which to buy

when i mention 5.25 in is the Swiftech Fan hub right ?

when u mention onboard controller is not the Swiftech Fan hub ? 

and

Currently my current Setup is 2 x P12 Noctua fan infront as intake, 1 x P12 Noctua fan Rear as exhaust, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on bottom as intake, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on top as exhaust. is my setup ok ? i was planning to change cause it could be a Tad be noisy 1850 rpm gentle typhoon is abit overkill for air cooling ? i dont know im newbie to this, is what my previous installer, installed for me. not sure if its quiet vs performance, i know it might have alot of performance, but noise could be way more than performance

The Swiftech hub is just a splitter. It allows you to connect 8 fans properly to one header. Since all of the fan are the same this is the best route to go.

Currently my current Setup is 2 x P12 Noctua fan infront as intake, 1 x P12 Noctua fan Rear as exhaust, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on bottom as intake, 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) on top as exhaust. is my setup ok ? i was planning to change cause it could be a Tad be noisy 1850 rpm gentle typhoon is abit overkill for air cooling ? i dont know im newbie to this, is what my previous installer, installed for me. not sure if its quiet vs performance, i know it might have alot of performance, but noise could be way more than performance. is the current setup of my fans ok ? anything to change ? should i go with Noctua A-14 ?

What the heck is with teh white hilighted text...

All of those are very good fans. If anything I would just standardize on one type of fans to make it easier on yourself.

Yep and depending on the fans you should be able to hook up 2-4 of them to each header on the motherboard even using DC control.

is my motherboard z170 asus hero have better fan controller than http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html ? which is better to use ? sorry for asking again making sure which to buy. and A-14pwm is the best to go with right ;)

that is not a fan controller, just a splitter or hub.

Delta Electronics PFR1212DHE-SP00 PWM for 120mm

Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM

NEED X58 BOARD WITH SATA3 ASAP

Noctua NF-F12

Delta Electronics PFR1212DHE-SP00 PWM for 120mm

Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM

I'd go for Noctua ones. :D

just for future reference you guys may want to skim threads you post in before posting, especially when they are more than one page long. This thread has already far exceeded it original title.

just for future reference you guys may want to skim threads you post in before posting, especially when they are more than one page long. This thread has already far exceeded it original title.

should i go for A-14 Pwm or stick with my scythe gentle typhoon ap-15 (1850rpm)

should i go for A-14 Pwm or stick with my scythe gentle typhoon ap-15 (1850rpm)

Bother are great fans. The noctua'can be controlled via PWM which is nice. The Scythe GT's can't but you already have them.

Where are you shopping/located? Fan splitters are fan splitters--just get one that has enough headers.

Fan splitters still rely on the motherboard being capable of controlling the fans. 

The fan hub that comes with the case should work fine. It's pwm even with 3pins. 

Bother are great fans. The noctua'can be controlled via PWM which is nice. The Scythe GT's can but you already have them.

my current specs : z170 hero , noctua d15 ,phanteks enthoo luxe or primo.

currently 

all cha_fans and cpu_fans are 4-pin headers.

Do i connect..

1.noctua d15 fans with Y splitter into cpu_fan1 and phanteks pwm hub(all my case fans phanteks and gentle typhoon) to cpu_opt

2.noctua d15 fan to cpu_fan1 and cpu_opt and connect phanteks pwn hub to cha_fan1

theres a total of 6 fans connecting to the phanteks pwn hub. Thanks. hope for your reply.

in bios when i changed chasis fan 1 Q fan control.
theres an option to choose from Q-fan source, = CPU , Motherboard , VRM , Thermalsensor,
which is the best to choose from out of the 4 ?

all cha_fans and cpu_fans are 4-pin headers.

Do i connect..

1.noctua d15 fans with Y splitter into cpu_fan1 and phanteks pwm hub(all my case fans phanteks and gentle typhoon) to cpu_opt

2.noctua d15 fan to cpu_fan1 and cpu_opt and connect phanteks pwn hub to cha_fan1

theres a total of 6 fans connecting to the phanteks pwn hub. Thanks. hope for your reply.

It's best to control all pwm fans off of the cpu_fan header when possible. Split the pwm hub off of that and connect your pwm fans to it. 

It's best to control all pwm fans off of the cpu_fan header when possible. Split the pwm hub off of that and connect your pwm fans to it.

Correct that is why I recommend the swiftech hub or other options like it.

like this right ?

or 2. nocua d15 fans to phanteks pwn hub, and all the fans from my case connect to pwn hub and pwn hub to cpu_fan ? 

so basically just 1 fan header connect to the motherboard which is cpu_fan1. and all fans to phanteks pwn hub. ?

or do i need to buy wiftech hub becausethey are all 4pins header n the hub. and replace it my phanteks hub ( all 3 pins) with swiftech ? i thought phanteks is the same since is controlled by 1 pwn connection to the motherboard? 

like this right ?

or 2. nocua d15 fans to phanteks pwn hub, and all the fans from my case connect to pwn hub and pwn hub to cpu_fan ?

so basically just 1 fan header connect to the motherboard which is cpu_fan1. and all fans to phanteks pwn hub. ?

or do i need to buy wiftech hub becausethey are all 4pins header n the hub. and replace it my phanteks hub ( all 3 pins) with swiftech ? i thought phanteks is the same since is controlled by 1 pwn connection to the motherboard?

Now I am super confused...

What fans do you have where?

Now I am super confused...

What fans do you have where?

Thanks for helping all these while. i truly appreciate your time explaining to me. I spent the entire night reading PWM and true PWM on the motherboards and finally understand.

ok currently my gf have enthoo luxe , it have 1 x 200mm phanteks fan and 1x 140mm phanteks fan and 4 x gentle typhoon 120mm AP-15, 

1. 200mm front intake , 140mm exhaust rear , 2 x 120mm bottom intake , 2 x 120mm top exhaust. 

2.120mm x 2 front intake , 140mm exhaust rear , 2 x 120mm bottom intake , 0 top exhaust.

which is better ? the 2nd option is suggested by overclocker forum. should i go with option 1 or 2 ? 

im using z170 hero. can i connect a Y splitter on every chasis_fan

2 fans on Y spliter into chasis_fan z170 hero ? and use up a total on 8 fans chasis_1 to chasis_4

im using noctua s_12b flx. 3pin fans

i have 2 splitter cable im not sure which to use ?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/svEAAOxyP4dTcTFF/$_1.JPG

NA-YC1 4pin header split to a 3pin & 4 pin as above image.

or 

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/12-987-007-TS?$S300W$

phanteks y splitter 3 pin header (that has only 2 wires exiting the header) split to 3 pin and 3 pin.

i got exactly both of the image above. which cable should i use ?