Best 120mm fans for air cooling

danielhowk

ill stick with 140mm fans then . which 140mm fans do you recommend . ?

noctua A-14 pwm (best right for air cooling in case) or

Be quiet Silent wings 2

Gentle Typhoon Ap-15 ?

which would be the best 140mm fans ?

NF-A14's and SW2's are the best of the best. A14's have more static pressure but SW2's have better airflow/noise. It's hard to go wrong with either.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

ill stick with 140mm fans then . which 140mm fans do you recommend . ?

noctua A-14 pwm (best right for air cooling in case) or

Be quiet Silent wings 2

Gentle Typhoon Ap-15 ?

which would be the best 140mm fans ?

NF-A14's regular or industrial. Another option would be Fractal Venturi's.

I get my NF-A15's below 2000rpm after that I can't tell because it doesn't sense that low on a Sabertooth X79.

I'll be testing the limits of a bunch of NF-F12's in my desktop soon, very soon.

NF-A14's and SW2's are the best of the best. A14's have more static pressure but SW2's have better airflow/noise. It's hard to go wrong with either.

NF-A14's regular or industrial. Another option would be Fractal Venturi's.

when u mention but SW2's have better airflow/noise. meaning lower DBA right ? as in quieter ?

if im getting A-14 i should get pwn right ? not the FLX or LNA ones right ?

@danielhowk if you have PWM control I wouldnt get anything but PWM fans personally

when u mention but SW2's have better airflow/noise. meaning lower DBA right ? as in quieter ?

if im getting A-14 i should get pwn right ? not the FLX or LNA ones right ?

FLX and LNA are controlled by varying voltage and have different speed ranges. Pwm is pulsing 12v which can allow for a finer range of control. Which you'd go with depends on your method of fan control.

SW2's are quieter when less static pressure is needed but NF-A14's are better when more is needed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@danielhowk if you have PWM control I wouldnt get anything but PWM fans personally

pwm control ? my motherboard is asus hero z170. is that ok ?

and i want to ask the best silence > performance 140mm fans are ? noctua > PH-F140SP > SW ? in that order ?

and what about the side panels could put 2x 120mm fan or 2x 140mm fan any use ?

and i want to ask the best silence > performance 140mm fans are ? noctua > PH-F140SP > SW ? in that order ?

So you basically have the best fan control currently available

Side panel fans definitely drop the temps on GPU's if they are not water-cooled. I use them when possible even if they might not look as pretty.

That motherboard supports pwm just fine. The Phanteks isn't nearly as quiet as the Noctua or BeQuiet!

So you basically have the best fan control currently available

Side panel fans definitely drop the temps on GPU's if they are not water-cooled. I use them when possible even if they might not look as pretty.

the sides fan are directly below the hdd cage. not really near the gpu though

the sides fan are directly below the hdd cage. not really near the gpu though

What case do you have again?

so your talking about the fan on the backside over the HDDs?

so your talking about the fan on the backside over the HDDs?

the side i could add 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans. it seems to be behind the motherboard. 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_enthoo_primo/images/phanteks_enthoo_primo_11.htm

here

whats the best setup of fans i should go with ? two 140mm in the front as intake, two 140mm on the bottom as intake, one mm140 in the rear as exhaust.  ?

the side i could add 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans. it seems to be behind the motherboard. 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_enthoo_primo/images/phanteks_enthoo_primo_11.htm

here

whats the best setup of fans i should go with ? two 140mm in the front as intake, two 140mm on the bottom as intake, one mm140 in the rear as exhaust.  ?

no top outake? 4in/1out is not all that balanced airflow wise.

wats your suggestion on the best setup of fans ? mind guiding me ? thanks

wats your suggestion on the best setup of fans ? mind guiding me ? thanks

Can you throw two in the top as exhaust maybe?

Can you throw two in the top as exhaust maybe?

alright so 2 in front , 2 bottom , 2 top and 1 exhaust (rear) thats ideal right ?

alright so 2 in front , 2 bottom , 2 top and 1 exhaust (rear) thats ideal right ?

yep that would total to 4 in and 3 out which leans towards positive.

Will all of these fans be the same? Also what kind of cooling are you using for the CPU and where will it be mounted?

FLX and LNA are controlled by varying voltage and have different speed ranges. Pwm is pulsing 12v which can allow for a finer range of control. Which you'd go with depends on your method of fan control.

SW2's are quieter when less static pressure is needed but NF-A14's are better when more is needed.

Thank you for guiding me with such patience and detailed explanation . Thumbs up to you :) . Lastly, when you mention Static Pressure = Things that are infront or behind the fans in a 3mm radius right (hdd cages , filters) ?

Thanks you to you too. both of you helped me alot by understanding airflow and fans . i truly appreciate it :). im using Noctua D-15. the older one with 2 fans. not D-15s. the fans should be pushing air out to the exhaust ?

Thank you for guiding me with such patience and detailed explanation . Thumbs up to you :) . Lastly, when you mention Static Pressure = Things that are infront or behind the fans in a 3mm radius right (hdd cages , filters) ?

Thanks you to you too. both of you helped me alot by understanding airflow and fans . i truly appreciate it :). im using Noctua D-15. the older one with 2 fans. not D-15s. the fans should be pushing air out to the exhaust ?

Uhh, it's not anything that exact and it varies depending on the scenario. Aerodynamics isn't exactly simple. 

Yes, have your fans pointed in a general direction from intake to exhaust--they should be working together and not fighting. 

Uhh, it's not anything that exact and it varies depending on the scenario. Aerodynamics isn't exactly simple. 

Yes, have your fans pointed in a general direction from intake to exhaust--they should be working together and not fighting. 

When you mentioned SW2's are quieter when less static pressure is needed but NF-A14's are better when more is needed. what exactly is static pressure ?

When you mentioned SW2's are quieter when less static pressure is needed but NF-A14's are better when more is needed. what exactly is static pressure ?

Static pressure is resistance to flow. Obstacles like hard drive cages are an example.

Static pressure is resistance to flow. Obstacles like hard drive cages are an example.

Obstacles like hard drive cages are an example. does that include The fliters for dust ? 

and thanks for everything. for my enthoo primo. would you suggest me to go with noctua A-14 or be quiet silent wings 2?  i know is both is the best of the best. but which would you suggest for my case. Thanks

Obstacles like hard drive cages are an example. does that include The fliters for dust ? 

and thanks for everything. for my enthoo primo. would you suggest me to go with noctua A-14 or be quiet silent wings 2?  i know is both is the best of the best. but which would you suggest for my case. Thanks

Yes, that can include dust filters. 

I'd personally go with Noctuas but either are great. 

So having the NH-D15 is a bit interesting with top outtakes. Its really depends on where they are located in relation to teh heatsink if you want them as an outtake or not. Basically you dont want a fan pulling air away from the intake on the NH-D15. Also depending on the platform your on if its X79 or X99 I may add a 3rd fan to teh NH-D15 just to balance out its looks. Just makesure yo uget it direct from noctua because teh aftermarket one of that size has a lower RPM which makes fan control messy.

so many people need to understand this!

Yes, that can include dust filters. 

I'd personally go with Noctuas but either are great.

I would say go with Noctua as well knowing how good they are. Also the NF-A15 fans on the NH-D15 are basically the same as the NF-A14 so you can wire them all into one header to be controlled making things nice and easy.