Best 120mm fans for air cooling

danielhowk

im using phanteks enthoo primo looking for the best 120mm fans

Noctua NF-S12A 

BeQuiet SilentWings 2

Any other noctua to recommend for my case ?

Gentle typhoon AP-15 or any other model you recommend ? 

which are the best performance for air cooling my case

im using phanteks enthoo primo looking for the best 120mm fans

Noctua NF-S12A 

BeQuiet SilentWings 2

Any other noctua to recommend for my case ?

Gentle typhoon AP-15 or any other model you recommend ? 

which are the best performance for air cooling my case

silent wings 2

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Ek vardar.... best for everything, get the f2 1450rpm and just run them at like 80% all the time, silent pc

Ek vardar.... best for everything, get the f2 1450rpm and just run them at like 80% all the time, silent pc

the vardar fans are definitely not the best

even airflow fans from other brands create more airflow AND static pressure

the fans are also very loud for their crap performance

EK tried to copy gentle typhoons and got something that looks similar but performs horribly

noctua or bequiet fans will be much quieter while performing better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why use 120mm fans when the case supports 140mm's?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

silent wings 2

the vardar fans are definitely not the best

even airflow fans from other brands create more airflow AND static pressure

the fans are also very loud for their crap performance

EK tried to copy gentle typhoons and got something that looks similar but performs horribly

noctua or bequiet fans will be much quieter while performing better

Noctua NF-F12

AP-15

http://www.overclockers.com/phanteks-enthoo-primo-full-tower-case-review/

the case only some parts support 120mm. so yeah im wondering which 120mm is good.

for 140mm what are the best fans for primo ?

http://www.overclockers.com/phanteks-enthoo-primo-full-tower-case-review/

the case only some parts support 120mm. so yeah im wondering which 120mm is good.

for 140mm what are the best fans for primo ?

If budget isn't an issue for 140mm's, NF-A14's and SW2's are the best of the best. 

As for 120mm's, NF-S12A's would be best for the rear where two 120mm's are available instead of one 140mm. 

SW2's are also great.

The most optimal config would likely be 140mm SW2's and NF-S12A's in the rear but they may clash in theme.

Either all Noctuas with NF-A14's/S12A's or all SW2's wouldn't have this issue and would be just a bit louder. 

For the very quietest option, all NF-S12A's would probably do it but perform a bit worse.

Any of the above are all among the best so take your pick depending on your priorities. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've had very good experiences with Phanteks's own PH-F140SP. Not too expensive ($5-10 USD per depending on promotions), and an all around good value (not to mention you have 5 already). Give them (and perhaps their little brother, the PH-F120SP) a chance? Avoid the new PH-F1_0MP series though.

Noiseblocker NB-eLoops are also very well regarded and reviewed (with the known issue that they shouldn't be put in a pull configuration on a radiator), and are of the same tier as many fans suggested by WoodenMarker. I personally can't bring myself to spend ~$20 on a fan though.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

If budget isn't an issue for 140mm's, NF-A14's and SW2's are the best of the best. 

As for 120mm's, NF-S12A's would be best for the rear where two 120mm's are available instead of one 140mm. 

SW2's are also great.

The most optimal config would likely be 140mm SW2's and NF-S12A's in the rear but they may clash in theme.

Either all Noctuas with NF-A14's/S12A's or all SW2's wouldn't have this issue and would be just a bit louder. 

For the very quietest option, all NF-S12A's would probably do it but perform a bit worse.

Any of the above are all among the best so take your pick depending on your priorities. 

I've had very good experiences with Phanteks's own PH-F140SP. Not too expensive ($5-10 USD per depending on promotions), and an all around good value (not to mention you have 5 already). Give them (and perhaps their little brother, the PH-F120SP) a chance? Avoid the new PH-F1_0MP series though.

Noiseblocker NB-eLoops are also very well regarded and reviewed (with the known issue that they shouldn't be put in a pull configuration on a radiator), and are of the same tier as many fans suggested by WoodenMarker. I personally can't bring myself to spend ~$20 on a fan though.

NF-A14 should i get the PWM , ULN or LNA ones. so many types of noctuas for the same A14

same goes to S-12A . should i get FLX , LNA ,ULN ones ?

It depends what you mean by best.

best for air flow,

best air pressure

best for noise

or the best all rounder

I find if you can keep the arctic f12 under 1000 rpm they are quiet and push a decent amount of air.

NF-A14 should i get the PWM , ULN or LNA ones. so many types of noctuas for the same A14

If your motherboard supports PWM control, get those. If it supports 3-pin DC voltage control, then just get whatever's cheaper.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

They're just different methods of controlling the fan speed.

PWM provides the most granular control

It depends what you mean by best.

best for air flow,

best air pressure

best for noise

or the best all rounder

I find if you can keep the arctic f12 under 1000 rpm they are quiet and push a decent amount of air.

If your motherboard supports PWM control, get those. If it supports 3-pin DC voltage control, then just get whatever's cheaper.

They're just different methods of controlling the fan speed.

PWM provides the most granular control

always go with PWM right ? 

best in terms of airflow vs noise

Not always--pwm can introduce a ticking noise due to how it pulses voltage instead of providing a constant one. 

That isn't really an issue with Noctuas due to how they gradually pulse. 

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=ne_fd1_pwm_ic

So you need air flow optimized fans or air pressure?

This is a very good question!

I'd say yes and if a new fan launches now without pw. It's a shame.

Not always--pwm can introduce a ticking noise due to how it pulses voltage instead of providing a constant one.

That isn't really an issue with Noctuas due to how they gradually pulse.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=ne_fd1_pwm_ic

Maybe with older or cheap fans none of the newer or top shelf ones I've used have had that issue. The Arctic 24/7 fans are darn cheap for what you get and they didn't even do it.

I'd say yes and if a new fan launches now without pw. It's a shame.

Maybe with older or cheap fans none of the newer or top shelf ones I've used have had that issue. The Arctic 24/7 fans are darn cheap for what you get and they didn't even do it.

Pwm fans don't have to be old or cheap to tick. Even fans that are so-called quiet like Slip Streams and Apaches do it. 

http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fans-nh-d14/

I'm not entirely sure about the Pwm CO's since it's been a while since I've used them and I never got around to testing them in a more quiet environment but I'd be surprised if they didn't tick below ~30% speed if not at anything below 70%.

Pwm fans don't have to be old or cheap to tick. Even fans that are so-called quiet like Slip Streams and Apaches do it.

http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fans-nh-d14/

I'm not entirely sure about the Pwm CO's since it's been a while since I've used them and I never got around to testing them in a more quiet environment but I'd be surprised if they didn't tick below ~30% speed if not at anything below 70%.

Interesting study actually. I'd be interested to see it done on a newer board with better PWM circuitry but hey can't be too picky.

PWM is amazing though. My 2x NF-P14 PWM 2000rpm industrial fans can easily maintain sub 300rpm at idle. Which is kinda crazy.

PWM also allows you to control all of the same fans with one

header with ease.

This is a very good question!

So you need air flow optimized fans or air pressure?

Interesting study actually. I'd be interested to see it done on a newer board with better PWM circuitry but hey can't be too picky.

PWM is amazing though. My 2x NF-P14 PWM 2000rpm industrial fans can easily maintain sub 300rpm at idle. Which is kinda crazy.

header with ease.

i plan to add 120 mm on the top and bottom of the case with 4 x 120mm fans. instead of 3x 140mm. as the coverage of 120mm x 4 is more . thats why i asked for 120mm thats a wise idea right.

3 x 140mm = 420mm

4 x 120 mm = 480mm. better right ?

header with ease.

Normal NF-F12's or other normal pwm Noctuas  can go down to ~90rpm. I run my NF-S12A and NF-A15's at 7%. 

i plan to add 120 mm on the top and bottom of the case with 4 x 120mm fans. instead of 3x 140mm. as the coverage of 120mm x 4 is more . thats why i asked for 120mm thats a wise idea right.

3 x 140mm = 420mm

4 x 120 mm = 480mm. better right ?

140mm's are better.

420mm and 480mm are just shorthand for describing rads. 

The actual fan blade area of 4x120mm's is roughly 40912mm² and 42390mm² for 3x140mm. 

It translates a bit differently for fans due to the edge of a larger fan providing more airflow with lower noise. 

Normal NF-F12's or other normal pwm Noctuas  can go down to ~90rpm. I run my NF-S12A and NF-A15's at 7%. 

140mm's are better.

420mm and 480mm are just shorthand for describing rads. 

The actual fan blade area of 4x120mm's is roughly 40912mm² and 42390mm² for 3x140mm. 

It translates a bit differently for fans due to the edge of a larger fan providing more airflow with lower noise. 

ill stick with 140mm fans then . which 140mm fans do you recommend . ? 

noctua A-14 pwm (best right for air cooling in case) or

Be quiet Silent wings 2 

Gentle Typhoon Ap-15 ?

which would be the best 140mm fans ?

I get my NF-A15's below 2000rpm after that I can't tell because it doesn't sense that low on a Sabertooth X79.

I'll be testing the limits of a bunch of NF-F12's in my desktop soon, very soon.