Internet Connection problems, high ping.

Hello forum this is my first post and im glad to be a part of the community. My problem is that as of today the internet on my desktop rig became very slow. I have never had this problem before and it started today. My skype calls are dropping. and in the game dayz which i have been playing a lot lately my ping is extremely high. in the thousands. at first i figured it might be a problem with the game and the launcher im using but i redownloaded it and the problem persisted. Also my internet using google chrome seems to have slowed down, i can still use it but it has definitely been slower. I have tried both wired and wireless internet and they are both the same. Everyone else in my family can also connect to the internet but they said they have not noticed any problems however they arent playing games or watching videos, just doing social network stuff so if there was a difference i dont know if they would notice. Also when im connected it says my signal strength is excellent. i have tried restarting my router many times and i have restarted my pc as well. My router is made by linksys. I dont know why this problem would have arose over night when no one has done anything to the settings or anything like that. If someone could please help me to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it i would be very grateful. 

btw. the router that i have is a dual network one so it puts out two networks. however the second one cant be used because it is an unsecured network and i cant connect to it so if someone could explain that to me it would be nice too. thank you guys!

Could just be your ISP having a bad day? I would wait and see.

LOL I get 850 down 700 up with a ping of 1

THAT'S 850 and 700 BYTES AND A PING OF 1 HOUR

YESSSS

:P

Edit: I am sorry that was totally irrelevant :)

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

There must be someone watching something, streaming video or downloading using torrents. 

When I get ping in the hundreds, it's because someone is on Netflix. Sadly, they are addicted to Netflix ='(

There must be someone watching something, streaming video or downloading using torrents. 

When I get ping in the hundreds, it's because someone is on Netflix. Sadly, they are addicted to Netflix ='(

It would be unfortunate if their wireless card broke wouldn't it?

It would be unfortunate if their wireless card broke wouldn't it?

Wired Ethernet =/ I would have to break their PS3 + laptop, which I don't want to pay for...

Wired Ethernet =/ I would have to break their PS3 + laptop, which I don't want to pay for...

Cords sometimes get tripped over and cut in half by a katana

well im glad to see people responding quickly. for most the day no one was on the internet at all. and even still i usually play with people in my house doing other things on the internet such as netflix and my connection is fine. and no one in my family, besides myself knows what torrent is ( i have two sisters) so it cant be that, my computer was also not running anything other then the game dayz however i wasnt able to get in games because the ping was so high. and excon i will wait until tomorrow to see if it changes but if it doesnt i dont know what im gonna do. lol two weeks left of summer i wanna get some gaming in.

also about the dual connection thing on my router if someone could tell me how to set the second one up that would be nice so i could use that while everyone else is on the other one.

dygro i unplugged my modem and i took battery out and put it back in. is there something else i could do?

dygro i unplugged my modem and i took battery out and put it back in. is there something else i could do?

Call your ISP and ask if their has been issues today

my isp? would that be linksys (my router company)?

my isp? would that be linksys (my router company)?

Nope, the company you buy internet from. Companies such as telstra and optus in Australia or verizon and at&t. Those sort of people

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

oh okay. its late at night but ill do that tomorrow. i posted a similar post on the dayz forums. about ping too high. i saw somethings like opening ports and allowing the game through my firewall. but i figured those couldnt be solutions because it used to work a day ago.

Nope, the company you buy internet from. Companies such as telstra and optus in Australia or verizon and at&t. Those sort of people

we called the internet provider. ( time warner) and they said that they provide us with 16mbps i think thats the speed but we were only getting 1 mbps which would explain the really high ping. and apparently its back up to 5 mbps now but if they promise 16mbps shouldnt we be getting it? even though it went back up to 5 the ping is still in the 1000's. i dont know why this problem would just pop up but i would assume something went wrong. two days ago it was working fine and now its not and my dad claims that he bought one of the best routers you can buy. any ideas how to fix this?

we called the internet provider. ( time warner) and they said that they provide us with 16mbps i think thats the speed but we were only getting 1 mbps which would explain the really high ping. and apparently its back up to 5 mbps now but if they promise 16mbps shouldnt we be getting it? even though it went back up to 5 the ping is still in the 1000's. i dont know why this problem would just pop up but i would assume something went wrong. two days ago it was working fine and now its not and my dad claims that he bought one of the best routers you can buy. any ideas how to fix this?

You rarely ever get what is promised, I'm meant to have 25 but I only get 7 or 8 on a good day. This is due to a variety of reasons, for instance if you have cable internet you can be restricted by how many other people have cable internet in your area. Getting the other band working( the other network on your router) just for yourself may help increase your internet speeds, but only minimally. I don't understand why you can't connect to it if it is unsecured though. That should make it easier to connect

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

we got it. we did a full reset and made it like it was right out of the box. we had to set it up again but the wireless is working very well now. however the wired connection still messed up sometimes, hopefully it was just a hiccup. thanks for all the responses guys, this forum is great. 

You rarely ever get what is promised, I'm meant to have 25 but I only get 7 or 8 on a good day. This is due to a variety of reasons, for instance if you have cable internet you can be restricted by how many other people have cable internet in your area. Getting the other band working( the other network on your router) just for yourself may help increase your internet speeds, but only minimally. I don't understand why you can't connect to it if it is unsecured though. That should make it easier to connect

okay so its been a few days and yesterday it was working fine for a little while but then it started doing the same thing again (ping in the hundreds and thousands). everyone else in my family says its working fine so my parents have no reason to fix it or call the internet provider and it would cost a lot of money to get someone to come to our house to fix it. i can go on the internet and watch youtube and twitch and netflix however i cant play online games my ping is just too high. The game i have been trying to play has been dayz which is a mod for arma 2. i played it for weeks without problems and then all of this happened. for a bit i thought maybe the internet on my motherboard died or something but i downloaded the dayz launcher on my laptop and it is getting similar ping. i understand that most likely you guys havnt played the game but i just dont understand how the ping on all my games just stopped working. i checked my ping on the game runescape, thats my game i have been playing for years, and most the servers had pings 100+ with some above 500. i have also gone into my windows firewall and allowed dayz and all its files full access, as i heard that might be a problem but it didnt change anything. i heard that if i typed my ping and then my ip into command prompt i would see it but i didnt understand all the numbers that came up. Also this morning i was playing the game just fine at about 40 ping and then i went to work and tonight when i got back on the ping was back up really high. 3 of my friends on my street also have time warner cable internet and they all have had no problems. is it a problem with my computer? the game? my router? my modem? can someone give me an idea

okay so its been a few days and yesterday it was working fine for a little while but then it started doing the same thing again (ping in the hundreds and thousands). everyone else in my family says its working fine so my parents have no reason to fix it or call the internet provider and it would cost a lot of money to get someone to come to our house to fix it. i can go on the internet and watch youtube and twitch and netflix however i cant play online games my ping is just too high. The game i have been trying to play has been dayz which is a mod for arma 2. i played it for weeks without problems and then all of this happened. for a bit i thought maybe the internet on my motherboard died or something but i downloaded the dayz launcher on my laptop and it is getting similar ping. i understand that most likely you guys havnt played the game but i just dont understand how the ping on all my games just stopped working. i checked my ping on the game runescape, thats my game i have been playing for years, and most the servers had pings 100+ with some above 500. i have also gone into my windows firewall and allowed dayz and all its files full access, as i heard that might be a problem but it didnt change anything. i heard that if i typed my ping and then my ip into command prompt i would see it but i didnt understand all the numbers that came up. Also this morning i was playing the game just fine at about 40 ping and then i went to work and tonight when i got back on the ping was back up really high. 3 of my friends on my street also have time warner cable internet and they all have had no problems. is it a problem with my computer? the game? my router? my modem? can someone give me an idea

Your computer is wifi? If so and if it is USB use another port, try moving the computer to see if it is a funky issue, if that does not work contact a professional