Box Box Box - Sim Racing Players Club [Now Hype Train Enabled!]

7 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

Sounds havent necessarily got better or worse, everyone else has gotten drastically better(aside from SMS which is distorted mess). Forza gets a lot of flak sharing sounds, C63 is a good example as the 6.3 and 4.0 engines sound the same as the sound banks are identical. Unique sounds is a hard one for every racing game, especially since you cant get live recordings for every car. The other thing is unnecessary noise which is not present on a car which gtsport and raceroom are guilty off. Easy example is GT sport if you go off throttle in any GT3 car it will snap, crackle and pop which is true for a lot of them but not every GT car, some just dont sound good especially in the case of the LMP cars which are pretty well behaved off throttle. 

I understand its hard to make all sounds unique however they need to make sure there arent any complete copies, raceroom shares its turbo "wooshing" from the group 5 to 80sDTM cars however the engine notes are different, its ok to share but like your friends homework you need to change something else it appears to be lazy. Every niche to large team has managed to do this so Turn10 need to do it as well. The bar has been raised so they need to match it else it will be regarded as a flaw. 

Having just completed a majority of FM7, I can verify that most of the racecars sound nearly identical, right down to the gearbox whine (everything sounds similar to the GTR GT500 more or less). Disappointing but understandable in a sense if you want a massive car list. I still have nightmares of GT5 Prologue.

Also drivatars can go die in a fire.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Having just completed a majority of FM7, I can verify that most of the racecars sound nearly identical, right down to the gearbox whine (everything sounds similar to the GTR GT500 more or less). Disappointing but understandable in a sense if you want a massive car list. I still have nightmares of GT5 Prologue.

Also drivatars can go die in a fire.

For me personally while all of that is bad there is one thing that is worst, the physics oh my god they drive me nuts. Look I just dont care if its realistic or not, everytime I criticise forza physics someone comes out of the woodwork saying yeah but its not trying to be a sim. I dont care it understeers so much, everything feels like a whale, its awful and wrong in so many ways its not fun and its not realistic and the FFB sucks, no one is winning from this, its poor and its needs to be improved because it should not be considered acceptable.

Sorry for the rant, I just can not stand the forza motorsport physics, horizon on the other hand is great because its actually fun and somehow manages to have more defining characteristics between drivetrains. 

On a nicer note Horizon 4 is quite fun, they put it in the wrong part of the UK if im honest. Im biased since im from South London but not putting london in or south going into Hove and Brighton is very odd, there are many great vistas, monuments, clashes of old and new architecture, racetracks, drifting courses, coastal roads and due to the green belt there is a slice of country and city. A lot of people confuse London with Greater London, thats a concrete jungle, its very different as you go to the outer regions as there is a bit of everything. Edinburgh is just old buildings and countryside, fuck all money has been injected from our government into it so it gets over shadowed by the more varied places like Manchester or Brighton. I can see why they didnt do london though, the geographical modelling was a monumental task this time around, its clear horizon 3 has a more varied map but the seasons meant many models had to be done multiple times or have various textures. Doing all of that with the sheer variety of environments of the south of england would be made that even harder and would have certainly required an extra six month or a year . Biggest flaw with horizon 4 for me is the music choice though, some of it is very grating. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

oh boy those sounds.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

22 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

On a nicer note Horizon 4 is quite fun, they put it in the wrong part of the UK if im honest. Im biased since im from South London but not putting london in or south going into Hove and Brighton is very odd, there are many great vistas, monuments, clashes of old and new architecture, racetracks, drifting courses, coastal roads and due to the green belt there is a slice of country and city. A lot of people confuse London with Greater London, thats a concrete jungle, its very different as you go to the outer regions as there is a bit of everything. Edinburgh is just old buildings and countryside, fuck all money has been injected from our government into it so it gets over shadowed by the more varied places like Manchester or Brighton. I can see why they didnt do london though, the geographical modelling was a monumental task this time around, its clear horizon 3 has a more varied map but the seasons meant many models had to be done multiple times or have various textures. Doing all of that with the sheer variety of environments of the south of england would be made that even harder and would have certainly required an extra six month or a year . Biggest flaw with horizon 4 for me is the music choice though, some of it is very grating. 

they might feature (parts of) london as an expansion, tho as you say it'll be tough to do 

i mostly listen to hospital records or some of songs from bass arena. hospital records especially, gives a tranquil feeling 

23 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

For me personally while all of that is bad there is one thing that is worst, the physics oh my god they drive me nuts. Look I just dont care if its realistic or not, everytime I criticise forza physics someone comes out of the woodwork saying yeah but its not trying to be a sim. I dont care it understeers so much, everything feels like a whale, its awful and wrong in so many ways its not fun and its not realistic and the FFB sucks, no one is winning from this, its poor and its needs to be improved because it should not be considered acceptable.

Sorry for the rant, I just can not stand the forza motorsport physics, horizon on the other hand is great because its actually fun and somehow manages to have more defining characteristics between drivetrains. 

I haven't played a Forza since 5 on a friends Xbox (and I'm not getting Win10) but I did notice over the years that more and more understeer started to become present for some reason. Never played it with a wheel though. It is irritating to somehow start understeering around a corner at 50 when the AI are going around at 70, but can't manage to full throttle on a straight. Forza 1 got me into the "simmy" racing games but what there is now seems so far removed...

There was a FH4 thread where someone said that GB was the best location because of race and drift tracks, to which my first response was "That doesn't mean a damn thing. Just because Britain has race tracks doesn't mean any of it will be represented." and it wasn't. I mean, Australia has Bathurst at the least. I also don't find the area particularly interesting, though I've still been wanting another mountain and more rally roads since the first game.

I also think the music has sucked from 2 on. I don't even really like classical, but it's the only station that plays because I don't like the EDM crap that's seeped into all the other channels. How can they say they have a massive and diverse soundtrack when they've eliminated rock entirely and the other stations all share artists? It's just 4 of the same EDM dubstep and classical now.

#Muricaparrotgang

Took a bit of a break from Petit and threw on some ACC. So much fun, really enjoyable even on a gamepad. Have to say I prefer the big ol' Conty over the Huracan, even though the latter is undoubtedly faster.

Absolutely love Misano. You can abuse the curbs so much but theres enough flow between tight sections and the long straights to keep it interesting. The Bentley handles like a traditional GT3 car, and you can infer how the GTR and M6 will handle given this baseline. Overall very fun and can do 1:39s consistently.

The Huracan on the otherhand is incredibly nimble, to the point where it snaps pretty often. Whether its because of sharper steering or the rearward weight bias, but I found it to be twitchy on the limit. Granted its gearing is shorter than the Bentley so you can correct more easily, but its not quite as fun as an experience. Faster for sure, given I did 1:38s right off the bat. Definitely a good choice of car to showcase ACC given its more sophisticated data dispaly (LEDs accurately show rpm, lockup, slip angle, etc) and overall an easy car to drive for a beginner.

Also I finally figured out how to change assists level! Like AC, ctrl+t and ctrl+a for TCS and ABS respectively. 4/8 and 2/11 were my happy spot, granted on the gamepad I didnt have quite the feedback I wanted for proper threshold braking and throttle modulation. 

Theres probably other stuff I wanted to say but I'm eager to get back to watching the race.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Took a bit of a break from Petit and threw on some ACC. So much fun, really enjoyable even on a gamepad. Have to say I prefer the big ol' Conty over the Huracan, even though the latter is undoubtedly faster.

Absolutely love Misano. You can abuse the curbs so much but theres enough flow between tight sections and the long straights to keep it interesting. The Bentley handles like a traditional GT3 car, and you can infer how the GTR and M6 will handle given this baseline. Overall very fun and can do 1:39s consistently.

The Huracan on the otherhand is incredibly nimble, to the point where it snaps pretty often. Whether its because of sharper steering or the rearward weight bias, but I found it to be twitchy on the limit. Granted its gearing is shorter than the Bentley so you can correct more easily, but its not quite as fun as an experience. Faster for sure, given I did 1:38s right off the bat. Definitely a good choice of car to showcase ACC given its more sophisticated data dispaly (LEDs accurately show rpm, lockup, slip angle, etc) and overall an easy car to drive for a beginner.

Also I finally figured out how to change assists level! Like AC, ctrl+t and ctrl+a for TCS and ABS respectively. 4/8 and 2/11 were my happy spot, granted on the gamepad I didnt have quite the feedback I wanted for proper threshold braking and throttle modulation. 

Theres probably other stuff I wanted to say but I'm eager to get back to watching the race.

jfc that game looks and sounds amazing

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Man I completely forgot DTM had a night race at Misano this year... it's a shame R3E still has a license, I think ACC could do this justice now.

Folding@Home | BOINC

8 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

jfc that game looks and sounds amazing

No camera mode lel

20181014184338_1.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

On 10/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, chaozbandit said:

The Huracan on the otherhand is incredibly nimble, to the point where it snaps pretty often. Whether its because of sharper steering or the rearward weight bias, but I found it to be twitchy on the limit.

Yep and unsurprisingly a lot of the sim racers a month or so ago said the game was trash as a result, the Huracan has been known for a while that its currently one of the harder GT3 cars to drive, its unstable due to the lower mechanical grip compared to its rivals and splitter which is prone to aero stall which isnt a curved plane. 

cb65e1f11224092dd12dc7b05e06d0ff.png

Note how it goes inwards, there is a lot of debate as to why they decided to go with this decided to go with this, the main argument I saw which that its for strength as the gallardo was prone to losing its splitter over drivers getting a bit too ambitious over apexs or caterpillars. This design while stronger is not as efficient 

I wonder if this was even an issue but then I saw the gallardo gt3 and i understand their point. 

ebfd7ea35638cfea11dfcb26010d7b25.png

In case its not clear yet the splitter goes far too much, this means its more likely to hit something as it will not be raised above objects until the front tyres go over said object. 

1f821bb013c6f0d642d17e7d893d1af2.png

Onto the new car you can see it now has a single curved plane and the better defense that just about everyone is using now which is curved front spiltters, they are stronger, pretty good at deflecting rocks which prolonges the life of the front rad and increases the efficiency of the rear diffusers. A little less air will go into the front rad but its really not an issue. 

In the end though none of this matters because of bop 

Listen if you care.

6 hours ago, brownninja97 said:

Yep and unsurprisingly a lot of the sim racers a month or so ago said the game was trash as a result, the Huracan has been known for a while that its currently one of the harder GT3 cars to drive, its unstable due to the lower mechanical grip compared to its rivals and splitter which is prone to aero stall which isnt a curved plane. 

Note how it goes inwards, there is a lot of debate as to why they decided to go with this decided to go with this, the main argument I saw which that its for strength as the gallardo was prone to losing its splitter over drivers getting a bit too ambitious over apexs or caterpillars. This design while stronger is not as efficient 

I wonder if this was even an issue but then I saw the gallardo gt3 and i understand their point. 

In case its not clear yet the splitter goes far too much, this means its more likely to hit something as it will not be raised above objects until the front tyres go over said object. 

Onto the new car you can see it now has a single curved plane and the better defense that just about everyone is using now which is curved front spiltters, they are stronger, pretty good at deflecting rocks which prolonges the life of the front rad and increases the efficiency of the rear diffusers. A little less air will go into the front rad but its really not an issue. 

In the end though none of this matters because of bop 

I reckon it's entirely because of the cooling on the pre-evo car, given the nature of how the front end is shaped and how aggressive they run the V mount rad. Not as much leeway as on say a M6.

I don't have my Gallardo GT3 photos processed yet so I cant do a direct comparison, but yeah the Reiter splitter extends way further than any of the Super Trofeo cars.

Speaking of, I reckon the curved center section is more for underbody flow than improved simply radiator protection as it's seen on numerous other cars. But it also seems to be a trait of not having the radiator that exposed so who can say for certain.

40567885120_2e01446365_o.jpg41652652404_b68ac3102d_o.jpg27505930127_4cc260b7a4_o.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Folding@Home | BOINC

anyone else's forza horizon 4 instance crashing often? just crashes at the most random moments. may be because of msi afterburner as i heard the game treats it like anti-cheat (which is interesting as fh3 did not have the issue) 

8 minutes ago, Techicolors said:

anyone else's forza horizon 4 instance crashing often? just crashes at the most random moments. may be because of msi afterburner as i heard the game treats it like anti-cheat (which is interesting as fh3 did not have the issue) 

nope, dont have the issue

have played around 9h one day without a single issue 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Tempting. image.thumb.png.57761dc798151bd744c5e68caafc2faf.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Tempting. image.thumb.png.57761dc798151bd744c5e68caafc2faf.png

720p per eye isn't that great.. 

BUT.. that price is too awesome. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ss153621.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Since I now have a Lenovo Explorer on order, I decided to get a new pc mod going. Admittedly I was a bit jealous of people like Mr. Trig who have a pc rig, VR, and a racing cockpit just sitting in the garage for whenever he wants to do training.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Here we go!

image.png.d4f519d140fd21372ce9c3f9e90c9834.png

DSC_1076.JPG

Folding@Home | BOINC

11 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Here we go!

Eagerly awaiting your highly detailed review... :D 

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much was this?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

40 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Eagerly awaiting your highly detailed review... :D 

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much was this?

99 USD for only the headset from B&H. Free shipping but customs fee, came out to 130 CAD or thereabouts. 

It's not nearly as dense of a display as a rift but it's plenty for an enjoyable experience. No hassle of dealing with light boxes and about the same functionality as my TrackIR. The only negative is there's a very narrow window where the lenses are perfectly sharp but the unit is light enough that it's easy to adjust on the fly. Played for an hour and no fatigue or nausea at all. 

Not sure what graphics settings it defaults to but I'll have another play tonight. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

Some more thoughts

Upon further digging, it appears PC2 defaults the correct 1440p resolution for the Explorer. Manually set details to medium for todays runs.

Given the density of the panels you can definitely tell theres pixelation when focusing on objects far in the distance, although its less an issue once you know your braking points since everything in the near-field is sharp enough. Overall image sharpness wavers a bit given the narrow sweet spot but tightening the headband seems to help prevent the headset from shifting. Havent tested the passthrough audio yet but it would help reduce cable clutter, since I'm still using my DT880s.

The biggest advantage with a VR headset is definitely being able to experience proper elevation change. Here's me smashing my way quite literally through long beach, and my first thought spawning in was "my word am I low in this car." Granted I've witnessed these very cars in person on the Streets of Toronto before, but it still blew me away how the audio finally blended with the visuals. You really do feel like you're sitting in the cockpit scraping along the tarmac and smashing curbs. I'm still on the gamepad so not getting the best out of my driving, but will possible break out the g27 later.

It is a bit odd going on bankings though, as the drivers head is seemingly gyro'd to the horizontal whilst the car is at 30 degrees. 

As far as what I actually see in VR, it's about a 75% crop of what is mirrored on the display. The inner edge of the door mirror to about the middle of the rearview mirror (or from center post to center post for the mirrors on the indycar), and the vertical height of the visor not including the helmet. Not entirely sure how PC2 handles the UI placement as they're completely different; timing is directly in my peripheral although its incredibly blurred, and crew chief text is directly at the bottom of my vision. 

Still can't get ACC to launch in VR correctly and haven't tried AC since its not so fun on the pad. Apparently FM7 is a selectable option in the WMR hub but I dont recall it ever having vr support.

Folding@Home | BOINC

@chaozbandit Is there much screen-door effect with this headset? 

After using the Oculus DK2 for a while, even with it's low-res, going back to a flat monitor was hard getting used to the lack of depth of field again. 

I think this might be the Christmas gift to myself this year... ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

@chaozbandit Is there much screen-door effect with this headset? 

After using the Oculus DK2 for a while, even with it's low-res, going back to a flat monitor was hard getting used to the lack of depth of field again. 

I think this might be the Christmas gift to myself this year... ;) 

I didn't notice much, maybe on the top and bottom of frame but that's it. I have an IPD of 65 and its near spot on. 

Better hurry, not sure how long the sale will last. Microsoft Store Canada has had the explorer on sale for $129 cad before as well. 

Folding@Home | BOINC