i7 Skylake or Devils Canyon?

devils canyon is cheaper and has like 5% less performance, go for it. the i5 2500k is still kicking a@@ in games, so you dont have to worry about your cpu not lasting

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

*sigh*

Future-proof...

The Skylake lineup is newer, so they're the option to take for more features and future compatibility. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

"Future Proof"

Skylake, because it's latest.

But I'd say Go for Devil's Canyon, Skylake is not super faster than Devil's Canyon. Just like 5% increase in performance.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Newer is usually more futureproof.  But, futureproof isn't exactly a thing with how fast parts are being pumped out.

I don't expect Skylake to be outdated the next year, or the year after that for that matter. Investing in skylake seems pretty futureproof to me, it's also the first CPU in a while from which it makes sense to upgrade from sandy-bridge (if you have a fast GPU).

GPU and CPU "futureproofing" are not the same thing and there is some nuance to them..

Yes, but what happens if Zen comes out next year and has a 40 percent gain on power in every aspect over it?  Not saying this is going to happen as I don't think any of us knows what Zen is capable of, but if it did happen then how future proof is that i7?  I'm not saying don't get it, but I find the whole "future proofing" thing a tad silly as the term itself just sounds a tad bit like a contradiction.

That won't make it obsolete, as it is already well over the required capacity for gaming. 

And who honestly think Zen will somehow make that big of a jump in one iteration? I don't. If you look at this graph;

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6223/41/intel-core-i7-6700k--core-i5-6600k-skylake-review-6de-generatie-core-cpus-getest-stroomverbruik-igpu-cinebench-115-max

combined with this one.

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6223/18/intel-core-i7-6700k--core-i5-6600k-skylake-review-6de-generatie-core-cpus-getest-benchmarks-igpu-cinebench-115

You can crudely calculate a sense of efficiency. 

6700K; 9.7 points @ 103watts. Which is 0.0942 points per watt.

FX-8350; 6389 points @ 192watts. Which is 0.0359 points per watt.

This is roughly 2.6 times more efficiënt. Those aren't incrementals or percentages... I don't see them catch up to intel. And certainly not with an iGPU on the die.

Yes, but what happens if Zen comes out next year and has a 40 percent gain on power in every aspect over it?  Not saying this is going to happen as I don't think any of us knows what Zen is capable of, but if it did happen then how future proof is that i7?  I'm not saying don't get it, but I find the whole "future proofing" thing a tad silly as the term itself just sounds a tad bit like a contradiction.

That ain't happening. If AMD could really release such product, they would have capped the performance to a "mere" 10% improvement and ship the thing right away, in order to get some easy revenue while still having a ton of room for improvement. Zen is not going to do miracles, no matter how hard we'd like it to....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

People really need to stop the eye-rolls over future proofing.  It is an entirely valid concept so long as everyone also understands that NOBODY is talking about forever proofing.

Future proofing exists the same way that safer driving exists.  There are not guarantees, but you can shift the odds.

Skylake should be considered more future proof because it uses DDR4.  So, if you are needing to buy RAM right now, it makes more sense to go with DDR4 as it will be more likely to be transferable to other future builds.  

Unlike DDR3, which will very soon be about as common in future new motherboards as DDR2 is in motherboards right now.