How to move my os to another drive in my pc

Pcinacan

I right now have my os on my slow hdd and i would like to move just the os to the ssd what kind of software can i use or tell me how to do it manually. 

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

Do a clean install.

Do A clean install.

Its better for the ssd.

I agree to the post above, do a clean install. That way any bloat from the Old OS will be gone and give you a fresh start.

look down

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

I agree to the post above, do a clean install. That way any bloat from the Old OS will be gone and give you a fresh start.

Do A clean install.

Its better for the ssd.

Do a clean install.

That is good and all but i really do not have the time to re download all the software. and i have a 300 gb data cap 

That is good and all but i really do not have the time to re download all the software. and i have a 300 gb data cap 

If you have a second or back up hard drive, then put all your games on to that hard drive, then afterwords, install steam, but don't open it, move the games over to the new hard drive, then open it up. and you're good to go. Also back up any other programs you use as well. This save some precious bandwith seeing as you may be on Comcast.

What 300GB of crap?

and if its crap you don't need it.

What 300GB of crap?

and if its crap you don't need it.

Comcast suck, but i did recommend a few things he could do to save him from the cap. Even if the stuff he has is crap. :P

If you have a second or back up hard drive, then put all your games on to that hard drive, then afterwords, install steam, but don't open it, move the games over to the new hard drive, then open it up. and you're good to go. Also back up any other programs you use as well. This save some precious bandwith seeing as you may be on Comcast.

yep got comcast and one day if i am board i will have to do it. BTW i have a v2 sata port so u can get half the speed any cheep way to fix this :/

CAP OF DATA FOR MY COMCAST INTERNET.

i swear it said crap............

and you don't need 300GB to reinstall windows

Steam games you can backup.

i swear it said crap............

and you don't need 300GB to reinstall windows

Steam games you can backup.

well all the other stuff and i made sure i said cap and it is cap 

@Pcinacan

Sometimes its better to give the answer the asker needs instead of insisting an alternative. Yes, clean install is the best, but when it isn't an option, there are other choices.

Unfortunately in this case, the alternative is a little techy and will be uncomfortable to those that haven't mess with this sort of stuff often enough. Its not difficult, but it will require some research and following instructions. Reinstalling and booting into SSD then manually handle the original HDD would be far easier.

Your best bet is a combination of disk cloning and sysprep. The former can be done through most disk backup and management software - you can use window's native backup, or use some comercial software. I personally used Macrium Reflect Free Edition to did my migration once, its very reliable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/286053-system-preparation-tool-use-customize-windows.html

Sysprep is System Preparation Tools, its natively installed on most Windows machines ( I can only confirm its there on 7 onwards ). Basically, you can set your installation to out of box experience and let it redetect and reinstall all drivers needed. This will cause the most minimal potential driver conflicts when switching a disk with windows installer across any hardware.

---

90% of the time, you can just clone your HDD data to SSD data and plug in and let Windows get the drivers needed set up. But this have some edge cases like not having AHCI on your spanking new SSD enabled.

Depending on whether you have something like Macrium Recovery Disk, the general process flow would be:

1. Plug SSD into your current setup

2. Clone your active windows installation HDD image to your SSD

3. Boot into your SSD (Remove/Disable your HDD), run sysprep into OOBE (follow the guide in the link, works on 7, 8, 8.1, 10), reboot.

or

1. Setup a Recovery USB stick based on your Imaging software of choice, 

2. Plug SSD into your current setup

3. Run sysprep on your current windows installation, reboot into Recovery USB stick

4. Clone your active windows installation HDD image to your SSD in the recovery environment.

5. Remove HDD, boot into SSD.

After all is said and done, plug your HDD back, use disk management in Windows to format it (and unmark it as active if needed.).

Enjoy. Always backup important data before attempting.

Just want to add that for a hard drive to be cloned to another or to an ssd the capacity must be equal or higher.

So if it is lower capacity, creating an image sounds like the option.

Just want to add that for a hard drive to be cloned to another or to an ssd the capacity must be equal or higher.

So if it is lower capacity, creating an image sounds like the option.

Thanks for reminding that! I hope OP have a spare disc to move his 300GB worth of steam game off, else that would be a lot of tinkering and moving things back and forth and shrinking partitions.

I right now have my os on my slow hdd and i would like to move just the os to the ssd what kind of software can i use or tell me how to do it manually. 

just image the hdd to the ssd with acronis trueimage

clean install would be better...but sometimes its alot of work

just make sure your ssd is atleast as big as the hdd

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

if you really need to move it use acronis true image, even though a clean install would be beter than just copy over documents and such.