Faulty PCI-e slot?

lachyman

OK, I asked about this in the other topic but there was an another problem at the start and this is diffirent. When I shut down my computer for a longer period of time with my GTX660 in the top PCI-e 3.0 x16, my monitor won't post, it just says no signal. However when i plug the card to the x8 connector, the system boots up normally. This however decreases the horsepower of the card in games. I am suggesting the x16 slot to be faulty, could there be anything else?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

BIOS upgrade

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

BIOS upgrade

I think that shouldn't be the problem since I have the board for around 6 weeks, and I don't know how to do that stuff.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I think that shouldn't be the problem since I have the board for around 6 weeks, and I don't know how to do that stuff.

What board do you have?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Disable all of your overclocks and see if that fixes the issue. Un-install your gpu overclocking utility too. 

Bios update too. good call, @Mo5

What board do you have?

I have MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670K, 2x4GB RAM. No overclock.

I have MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670K, 2x4GB RAM. No overclock.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#download Here's a link to the BIOS download page. Just put the bios file on a USB stick and find the update option in the bios. It should be fairly straight forward :)

P.S.: Check the BIOS version before updating. It might be the latest one already

osu! profile

I have 1.1, going to flash it now.

I've tried it and it just doesn't find any BIOS file on the USB. I unpacked the winRAR and put the file on the root of the USB, am I doing something wrong?

I have 1.1, going to flash it now.

I've tried it and it just doesn't find any BIOS file on the USB. I unpacked the winRAR and put the file on the root of the USB, am I doing something wrong?

I have an MSI board. That should do it...

I can unpack the file and there is readme, application and file 130 (?). So should I put the rar, file or something from the file to the root? also there is only this on the USB, do I need any other utility like FAT32?

I can unpack the file and there is readme, application and file 130 (?). So should I put the rar, file or something from the file to the root? also there is only this on the USB, do I need any other utility like FAT32?

In order for me to update the bios on my asrock board, the usb must be formatted in FAT32, so you may need to format the usb drive.

I checked 3 USB sticks and 2 of them were formatted in FAT and the one with which I flashed my BIOS was FAT32, so... you have to format it to FAT32

I have formated it, put the bios file on, the USB plugged to front USB 2.0 connector. It still not working, but when I start the computer something like a start-up setup appears. However I can't deal with it now because I am on a two week holiday in Greece. I'll start dealing with it when I return ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am back- tried updating it- put FAT32 files on the USB and BIOS v1.3, it is still saying there is no BIOS on the USB, however this is not a real USB, it is an USB "adapter" for a M2 memcard. So where could be the problem?

So I am back- tried updating it- put FAT32 files on the USB and BIOS v1.3, it is still saying there is no BIOS on the USB, however this is not a real USB, it is an USB "adapter" for a M2 memcard. So where could be the problem?

What do you mean you "put FAT32 files on the USB". I believe  you are supposed to format it in FAT32 format. To do that, right click on the usb drive and click format. It should by default be selected to format in FAT32. Just make sure nothing important is on the usb as it will delete everything. After that, but the bios file (i think unzipped) on the root of the usb drive. Hope this helps.

What do you mean you "put FAT32 files on the USB". I believe you are supposed to format it in FAT32 format. To do that, right click on the usb drive and click format. It should by default be selected to format in FAT32. Just make sure nothing important is on the usb as it will delete everything. After that, but the bios file (i think unzipped) on the root of the usb drive. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try it and post here.

I've formated the USB as stated above, downloaded BIOSv1.3 from MSI site for my Mobo, put it on the root, first unzipped then zipped and this is what I got:

MSI_Snap_Shot.png

I even checked the manual, no information about updating BIOS there.

eh mabey you could clear the bios and try again and try using a diferent usb drive 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Copy just files, not whole folder. Also, enable USB legacy support in "settings" under USB or integrated p. Eventually, MSI don't recommend using M-FLASH utility, every BIOS update is risky procedure, it is always better to do it from DOS, however, since you are unsure, i do not recommend updating BIOS at all.

But if you must, and you can't update it trough M-FLASH, you can do it with Live Update from Windows at your own risk.

Can you post a screencap of the explorer window showing your unzipped files on the USB drive?

Yes:

Bez_n_zvu.png

Opened:

Bez_n_zvu1.png

I haven't tried updating it with the second method.

@legopc I don't have any other USB flashdisk.

1. Have you tried putting those files outside that folder so they aren't in E:\7821v13 but in E:\

2. If you want I'll borrow you a USB flashdisk if you want.

^ this

OK, I managed to flash the BIOS to ver. 1.3, the board actually trolled me because it shut down at 96% and didn't reboot straight away, but after a few seconds. But it works so, yeah! Now I just have to reseat the GPU, but I might not be able to do that now because I am leaving to our gardenhouse for the weekend, so I might post an update after a couple of days. Thanks.