Intel Allegedly Upping Its Core Counts in 'Cannonlake'

HKZeroFive

For many years now, Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) has offered CPUs with between two and four CPU cores for its client CPUs. Typically, the low-power CPUs aimed at Ultrabooks and 2-in-1 convertibles have two CPU cores while the processors aimed at higher-performance laptops as well as mainstream desktops feature between two and four cores depending on the particular chip and power envelope.

That being said, there is substantial evidence that Intel's upcoming Cannonlake client processors, which will be built on the company's next generation 10-nanometer manufacturing technology, will come with between four and eight cores.

profile_large.png

The engineer claims to be working on a system-on-chip that integrates between four to eight cores. Now, we know that this is a client processor and not, say, a server processor because Intel already fields chips with much greater core counts in the server market.

The only uncertainty in my mind is whether the chip that this engineer is working on will go into both thin-and-light Ultrabooks as well as full-power notebooks and desktops or if it's just for the latter two categories of devices only.

If I had to guess, though, I'd wager that both high-performance client processors as well as "thin-and-light" devices will be derived from the chip that the engineer claims to be working on. Thin-and-light devices will see maximum core counts of four, while desktops and potentially high-performance notebooks get up to eight cores.

Pretty skeptical of the so-called 'evidence' the article uses, as it's merely someone's job description in their LinkedIn profile. For all we know, it could just be a reference to the Haswell-E models, since it already has 6 and 8 cores.

But, if the information we have is indeed accurate, this should be a great time for people to upgrade their CPUs. Only problem is that 'Cannonlake' will release no earlier than 2017. So just hang in there.

Sauce: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/29/intel-corporation-will-finally-be-upping-its-core.aspx

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

WTF is a Cannonlake?

Is it a lake filled with Cannonballs?

Why can't it be 2017 already Q.Q

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Doubt mainstream is going to have 6-8 cores. There is no current need for it other then maybe the top of the end prosumers

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

A lake with many Cannons embedded on the skirting... seems pointless for an enclosed lake :)

Doubt mainstream is going to have 6-8 cores. There is no current need for it other then maybe the top of the end prosumers

With DX12 comes more CPU usage drops, a good thing.... for a time... IMO,...then its devs adding MORE than they need and requiring more horsepower over time when you think 4 cores now is enough, and 4c+8t being overkill,... wait until devs utilize more features (some non-existant today) and I do predict DX12 (and onward) gaming will blow up with the game engine requiring more cores (cos devs put more into the game to which CPU requirements would also rise)

Happened with DX9/10/10.1/11 and onwards too.

New capabilities, More powerful hardware needed, not JUST GPU's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

inb4 boatload of threads asking if they should wait for cannonlake

._.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Interesting, will we see Intel's amazing performance per core combined with many cores!?! Stay tuned in 2017 to find out!

Also, what might this do to Zen, which will be releasing in 2016? Will people want to wait for potentially incredibly powerful CPU's?

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

profile_large.png

Pretty skeptical of the so-called 'evidence' the article uses, as it's merely someone's job description in their LinkedIn profile. For all we know, it could just be a reference to the Haswell-E models, since it already has 6 and 8 cores.

But, if the information we have is indeed accurate, this should be a great time for people to upgrade their CPUs. Only problem is that 'Cannonlake' will release no earlier than 2017. So just hang in there.

Sauce: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/29/intel-corporation-will-finally-be-upping-its-core.aspx

COMING FALL 2020 you had the lakes now you got THE OCEAN MUTHA FUCKERS!  Imagine the power of sky ocean, unicorn ocean, and even the rainbow ocean extreme processors.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Haswell had 6 and 8 cores too, called Haswell-E. No news here.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

i could maybe see them releasing a 6 core i7 but i doubt it, why increase silicon costs to them when amd has nothing to compete (if zen sucks were screwed)

A lake with many Cannons embedded on the skirting... seems pointless for an enclosed lake :)

With DX12 comes more CPU usage drops, a good thing.... for a time... IMO,...then its devs adding MORE than they need and requiring more horsepower over time when you think 4 cores now is enough, and 4c+8t being overkill,... wait until devs utilize more features (some non-existant today) and I do predict DX12 (and onward) gaming will blow up with the game engine requiring more cores (cos devs put more into the game to which CPU requirements would also rise)

Happened with DX9/10/10.1/11 and onwards too.

New capabilities, More powerful hardware needed, not JUST GPU's.

Intel never ever would put gaming as their biggest focus for the average mainstream chips. There are cheap-ish X99 platforms that will offer more cores that they don't need to bother with making room in their consumer brand just for gamers. unlike all the other DX version, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed offloading things to the iGPU for these things instead of just turning to offering more cores.  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think some of AMD's former employees work at Intel now...

MOAR CORES!

However, Intel never stopped using true cores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A six core i7 with HT would be interesting. But more interesting is if Intel went with a Tri Core i3 or a quad i3. With games "requiring" more than two cores, this would make the affordable i3's viable for budget builds.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

A six core i7 with HT would be interesting. But more interesting is if Intel went with a Tri Core i3 or a quad i3. With games "requiring" more than two cores, this would make the affordable i3's viable for budget builds.

Pentium = 2 core, i3 = 3 core, i5 = 4 core, i7 = 6 core.

It would make more sense too.

I feel like Intel will milk out this whole dual core and quad core(mainstream) CPUs for as long as they need to.

I really hope people don't consider this to be a fact. It could just be an engineer working on the -E SKU's. If Intel brings more cores to the normal consumer platform, they will completely void the point of the enthusiast/workstation platform. 

I can't imagine they would throw even more cores at the workstation platform, because then that would cut into the Xeon market, unless they plan on throwing more cores on the Xeons too. Either way, until we get solid evidence, treat this as a very unlikely rumor.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I really hope people don't consider this to be a fact. It could just be an engineer working on the -E SKU's. If Intel brings more cores to the normal consumer platform, they will completely void the point of the enthusiast/workstation platform.

I can't imagine they would throw even more cores at the workstation platform, because then that would cut into the Xeon market, unless they plan on throwing more cores on the Xeons too. Either way, until we get solid evidence, treat this as a very unlikely rumor.

The only thing that strikes me is there is no 2 option, and it specifically says SOC... This is just weird.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The only thing that strikes me is there is no 2 option, and it specifically says SOC... This is just weird.

I didn't even notice the SOC part. That really is odd. The only thing i could think of would be that he is referring to the CPU with HD graphics as a "SoC". Maybe Intel is making Atoms with larger core configurations? 

I didn't even notice the SOC part. That really is odd. The only thing i could think of would be that he is referring to the CPU with HD graphics as a "SoC". Maybe Intel is making Atoms with larger core configurations? 

There's also the fact Skylake-EX Xeons will be coming with the Cannonlake Graphics option. Perhaps Intel is moving sooner than expected to pairing its iGPU tech with its enthusiast platform?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There's also the fact Skylake-EX Xeons will be coming with the Cannonlake Graphics option. Perhaps Intel is moving sooner than expected to pairing its iGPU tech with its enthusiast platform?

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Can't tell you how tempting a workstation GPU would be with better iGPU. Use it on a linux box while using a hypervisor to pass physical GPU's through, with plenty of cores to allocate to them. A decent iGPU would mean a user could still game on the linux portion while his clients also game using the physical cards. 

Increase core count for mainstream cpus, then so does enthusiast cpus too. So no matter what, CannonLake will always have less cores than CannonLake-E.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Pentium = 2 core, i3 = 3 core, i5 = 4 core, i7 = 6 core.

It would make more sense too.

I think going with celeron=2 cores, pentium=3 cores, i3=3 cores+HT, i5=6 cores, i7=6 cores +HT would be more similar to intel's current lineup, since that is +50% cores for every current consumer model except celeron.