Internet Cafe

Hanno

Hello all I am making an internet cafe and need to know what stuff I need, I am going to be running the games off the network so i need to have gigabit or more

Kind Regards
Hanno

good internet ?
Australia ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jk :P   you will need a good network. and router.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

good internet ?

Australia ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jk :P   you will need a good network. and router.

i extended all your tabs, i regret nothing

wait what? can you give us more details? how big will it be, can you show pictures? and how much will you charge?

here is a rough guide of how much bandwidth for the amount of users :)

1-5 = 50-100 Mbit

6-10=120-200 Mbit

11-30=500 Mbit

30+=1000 Mbit

There will be 20 computers

and i have no clue about network stuff, is there a video that can help me with this server type general stuff

Sounds expensive.

How old are you?

Money is not a problem I have private investors and i am 15

i extended all your tabs, i regret nothing

:)

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

:)

But afaik you aren't allowed to open a business under the age of 18.  :rolleyes:

That is also not a problem

If all devices are going to have a wired internet connection, then you would have to get a good switch.

Depending on how your network comes into the building and the network load, you might just get a good core switch and power everything from there.

There will be 20 computers
and i have no clue about network stuff, is there a video that can help me with this server type general stuff

I would invite an IT guy from a local school or university into your building and consult him. In my experience they are more than happy to help hook you up.

Sometimes they can even give you a hand with second-hand networking equipment.

~Judah

But afaik you aren't allowed to open a business under the age of 18.  :rolleyes:

not really true lol

or at least that's not true in the US

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

not really true lol

or at least that's not true in the US

Yes, it's also possible in Germany to do that, but here you need someone else to vouch (was that the right word?) for you.

Is there really a market for that kind of thing now a days? :o

The only reason why I would ever pay for playing games would be if it was a hosted event like a big LAN where all my friends could be there (lol i dont have any friends)

If I were to pay for playing games somewhere, I would only do it if the hardware was as good or better as what I have at home, so the computers, monitors and peripherals will be expensive when you have to buy 20x eveything + something will break when a lot of people uses it + you will have to change or clean mice, keyboards and headsets all the time.

If someone with lice visits and uses a headset and I use that headset and I get lice, I would never visit your cafe again - so that is something you need to think about - customer loyalty only goes so far..

Did you do proper market research on this business case? How many hours would you need to have booked during a week to get a decent ROI and able to pay your staff, rent, internet (with business SLA and terms)?

You should get some proxy servers for caching stuff so you are not using up all your bandwidth on updating games on 20 computers.

Networking equipment you should get a decent router/firewall - either a Juniper SRX220 or SRX240 or a SonicWall NSA 5600 or maybe a PfSense box of a decent capacity.

For switches you should get Cisco catalyst 2960x or catalyst 3650 (for maximum uptime and support) - dont buy used catalyst switches, as they have most likely run for ALOT of hours.

Not to be shooting down your business idea, but IMO the investment is better spent on some slotmachines or racing sims - racing sims are easier to manage and play for people, almost everybody can drive a car in a game - and there are always compulsive gamblers who will use slotmachines (even with 85% payout, you still earn 15%, which is a crazy high ROI for almost no work at all)

Is there really a market for that kind of thing now a days? :o

The only reason why I would ever pay for playing games would be if it was a hosted event like a big LAN where all my friends could be there (lol i dont have any friends)

If I were to pay for playing games somewhere, I would only do it if the hardware was as good or better as what I have at home, so the computers, monitors and peripherals will be expensive when you have to buy 20x eveything + something will break when a lot of people uses it + you will have to change or clean mice, keyboards and headsets all the time.

If someone with lice visits and uses a headset and I use that headset and I get lice, I would never visit your cafe again - so that is something you need to think about - customer loyalty only goes so far..

Did you do proper market research on this business case? How many hours would you need to have booked during a week to get a decent ROI and able to pay your staff, rent, internet (with business SLA and terms)?

You should get some proxy servers for caching stuff so you are not using up all your bandwidth on updating games on 20 computers.

Networking equipment you should get a decent router/firewall - either a Juniper SRX220 or SRX240 or a SonicWall NSA 5600 or maybe a PfSense box of a decent capacity.

For switches you should get Cisco catalyst 2960x or catalyst 3650 (for maximum uptime and support) - dont buy used catalyst switches, as they have most likely run for ALOT of hours.

Not to be shooting down your business idea, but IMO the investment is better spent on some slotmachines or racing sims - racing sims are easier to manage and play for people, almost everybody can drive a car in a game - and there are always compulsive gamblers who will use slotmachines (even with 85% payout, you still earn 15%, which is a crazy high ROI for almost no work at all)

not all internet cafes are bad. it just depends on the location.

there are lots of internet cafes right across my university, and they're all doing great.

since me and my friends are all still students, we don't have time to bring all our PCs together and have a lan party.  we just go to a net cafe and play there. 

if i want to play aaa games , then i go home, but if i wanna play with friends, we just go to net cafes

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

not all internet cafes are bad. it just depends on the location.

there are lots of internet cafes right across my university, and they're all doing great.

since me and my friends are all still students, we don't have time to bring all our PCs together and have a lan party.  we just go to a net cafe and play there. 

if i want to play aaa games , then i go home, but if i wanna play with friends, we just go to net cafes

I am not saying that they are bad - I am just saying that when developing a businessplan, it would be wise to consider where you put your money - you are right, it really depends on the location and with a good location, comes a high rent, which further complicates things :)

I suppose you have seen their annual report since you know they are doing great? Having a lot of customers does not mean that you are making money at all if the competition is too high or your cost of operation is too high.

I understand that it is harder for younger people to just bring your computers and it is often not practical either, that is why I wrote that I see a merit in hosted events like LANs at an internet cafe :)

In my younger days, my guild (in wow) would sometimes book a section of an internet cafe for a raid, it was pretty cool and fun on a whole other level than sitting at home playing, but such things has to be taken into consideration when starting the business - what do you want to allow and what do you want your company to be known for and how will you develop in the future while still keeping the company true to its values..

This would make one hell of a build log.

Agreed, if this comes to fruition, please do post a build log the cafe and setups.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, InVis said:

How did it go with the Internet Café? :)

Talk about a thread bump however I may have the information you seek.

Through the company I work for I just implemented a LAN cafe at the start of this year in Melbourne - I wonder if it's the same client..

On 05/03/2016 at 1:48 AM, Windspeed36 said:

Talk about a thread bump however I may have the information you seek.

Through the company I work for I just implemented a LAN cafe at the start of this year in Melbourne - I wonder if it's the same client..

Haha :D yeah, I did not realize how old it was before I asked (and that it would bump to the front page) :D - I guess I was tried..

But yeah, it might be - would be hella cool if that was the case and the dude got it off ground with success :D