ssHD vs SSD vs HDD

Vaellera

you've done reviews on HDDs as well as SDDs but what about those of us that want to switch over to ssHD? there is no clear comparison out there to be had.

PLEASE do this.

my personal experience being using a single 1tb seagate barracuda so can i get any increase in performance by going to an ssHD while still keeping my every growing 800gb of data..

you've done reviews on HDDs as well as SDDs but what about those of us that want to switch over to ssHD? there is no clear comparison out there to be had.

PLEASE do this.

That exists in abundance, all over the Internet. If only I weren't on mobile and could actually copy and paste links...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

because SSHDs aren't really all that good, the SSD portion isn't really big enough, and you can't choose what goes on there. making it generally better to stick with dedicated HDDs and SSDs.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

SSHDs are basically just HDDs with larger caches, and they can't hold much at once. If you want a true SSHD, get a WD Black2. That at least has a good-sized SSD portion that you can control.

because most people are smart enough to buy a separate SSD+HDD

except for some people who have a laptop with only 1 drive and they cant afford a large SSD, then thats excusable

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Basically imho1 SSHD's never make sense and shouldn't be bought. I'm not saying you can't have them and if you do you should toss them, but they fail to address the single most pressing issue with HDD storage in the most pressing cases (which is access times). 8GB cache simply isn't significant enough to be useful in most cases (even windows 10 alone is a 9-11 GB partition.)

Furthermore with the massively dropping prices of SSD's, I certainly could never justify SSHD's. 

(the dual hybrid drive is a difference story, but it's thickness is a major issue as well.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

SSHDs are basically just HDDs with larger caches, and they can't hold much at once. If you want a true SSHD, get a WD Black2. That at least has a good-sized SSD portion that you can control.

the WD black 2 is the only "decent" SSHD because it actually is two separate drives in one, and you can decide where the data goes

SSHD "cache HDDs" are just a waste of money, and perform worse than a normal SSD does

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the WD black 2 is the only "decent" SSHD because it actually is two separate drives in one, and you can decide where the data goes

SSHD "cache HDDs" are just a waste of money, and perform worse than a normal SSD does

Pretty much.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of laptops fall into one of two categories. Either a laptop has a space for an HDD and an ODD, which can be pulled out and replaced with another drive sled, or a laptop that already has some form of solid-state storage. I haven't seen many laptops that only have the one drive bay, and they are all far too underpowered for me to consider buying them. If I had one that was decently powerful, I would forego the HDD and just use a large SSD. That's what I did when I got my first SSD.