Whonnock Vs Storinator Server

YT2002

So I was wondering if the Storinator (100TB archive server) was used for archiving what is Whonnock (24TB SSD server) use for. More recent files? B-Roll? Does anyone know?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

So I was wondering if the Storinator (100TB archive server) was used for archiving what is Whonnock (24TB SSD server) use for. More recent files? B-Roll? Does anyone know?

I believe raw data is dumped on the SSD server and then encoded by the rendering server which uses the SSD server as a scratch disk and general storage location. The archive server then pulls the data from the SSD server for storage/backups/archiving.

At least this is how I understand it.

The editors use the 10Gbit network for scrubbing their 4k footage. It's used for all the editors and they've said it's significantly more responsive than it used to be and it's much better. Storinator is for doing exactly what the name says. Storing things. Footage not being used immediately, old videos, important files, general files.

tl;dr

Storinator - Storing files that don't need to be accessed extremely fast, older footage, etc.

Whonnock - Video editors for the 4k footage they're working with. High speed storage over the (also high speed) network.

Think of it as the equivalent to having a decently sized SSD in a personal build paired with a NAS for your mass storage needs. You put your OS on the SSD as well as things you're actively using on. Especially if what you're doing uses the disk heavily. Then you tend to use your NAS for all of the stuff that you're just generally hoarding. Your collection of movies and music, your family photos and videos, that sort of thing.

All of the stuff they're actively working on is placed on that 24TB SSD array. I would assume that would include all of the files associated with every video being edited as well as all of the completed versions. And I don't know what file sizes they're dealing with but given how big it is? It probably stays on there for a bit. The 100TB server? That'd be for long-term archival. The intent there is for it to be effectively forgotten about but then used every now and then when they want to look back at something. It's also there in the event that something bad should happen. In the event of something like a fire? That server holds all of the things.

And you can also assume that the SSD array doesn't have a lot of redundancy. Probably something along the lines of RAID 50. While the 100TB server probably has some serious redundancy built in. In the off chance that there are multiple simultaneous disk failures.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

SNIP

SNIP

Thank you fo the answers. Coincidentally Linus gave us a video on the server on Vessel saying what does what.

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

actually I believe the raw files are processed by the Adobe media encoder server (dont remember it's name) before it is put on the ssd cache server(insert it's name here).

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

actually I believe the raw files are processed by the Adobe media encoder server (dont remember it's name) before it is put on the ssd cache server(insert it's name here).

I think thats how they do it based on their newest video, but why have the file dump station for encoding and the SSD cashe server (Whonock)? Why not just save some cash and combine the two?

why have the file dump station for encoding and the SSD cashe server (Whonock)? Why not just save some cash and combine the two?

I can think of three good reasons:

1. Having it over two gives you a bit of redundancy. If one server is down they can still do stuff on the other

2. Having it over two spreads the load. You don't want everything to slow down because a big encode is hammering the CPU of your file server

3. They're LMG, most of it was donated by those companies so they could make videos about it. So why wouldn't they use it?

Whonnock stores files that are being worked on. Te Storeanator is used to constanly archive Whonnock.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

I can think of three good reasons:

1. Having it over two gives you a bit of redundancy. If one server is down they can still do stuff on the other

2. Having it over two spreads the load. You don't want everything to slow down because a big encode is hammering the CPU of your file server

3. They're LMG, most of it was donated by those companies so they could make videos about it. So why wouldn't they use it?

1) True.

2) That would only last 15 minutes right? And isn't the scrubbing in the Premiere Pro handled by the GPU on the editor's machines? I believe the CPU of the SSD Cache Server is mainly just for file transfers.

3) Most indie studios if they wanted to replicate this probably can't get free stuff.

1) True.

2) That would only last 15 minutes right? And isn't the scrubbing in the Premiere Pro handled by the GPU on the editor's machines? I believe the CPU of the SSD Cache Server is mainly just for file transfers.

3) Most indie studios if they wanted to replicate this probably can't get free stuff.

2. The GPU on the editors' machines are doing the scrubbing but they're scrubbing through footage stored on the SSD server. The Render server does all of the video encoding tasks including converting to a format that is quicker to scrub through. I would imagine that if they ingested a pile of footage, for example Scrapyard wars, the Render server will be flat out for quite a while. If that server was also the SSD cache? I'd imagine that all of the Editors would notice.

3. You're right, most indie studios wouldn't be able to do this. They'd go the cheaper route. But this is definitely a better way to do things because of the reasons explained in 1 & 2. I'd imagine that much larger studios also do it in a similar way to this. So why wouldn't LMG go ahead with doing it this way given they could get the free gear?