File Server Build, APU or CPU

I'm going to be building a Rackmount File Server and I'm curious if choosing an APU will have any benefits over a normal CPU. I don't not much about APUs, other than the better graphics. Are these processors any good for a server build? Thanks

Not really any advantage of an APU for a file server. Realistically you would get away with a cheat nasty celeron or sempron. Would still work fine for file access. I wouldn't recommend it though. :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Here's the best way to look at it. With the APU, Lets say an A4 for example... You're getting a decent dual core cpu, with a decent graphics card to boot. If you go with a nasty low end pentium or something, you'll have to pay more for the mobo with integrated graphics.

Basically, find the cheapest motherboard + processor combo you can, and you'll be all set.

My advice, get an A10ish and run BOINC or Folding@Home on it. :)

Sempron 140/145

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Good video comparing an i3-3220 up against a A10-5800k

This APU isnt all that bad. AMD stuff runs hotter and is less efficient. The AMD chipsets seem to offer more sata3 connectivity than intel chipsets. Although sata 2 is just fine for Mechanical Hard disks.

The last non-intel chipset I used was a nvidia 680i on the socket 775 platform, I didnt like it. compared to the intel equivalents at the time p45, 975x, x38.

Heres an example. On my first home server I could easily sustain read writes of 80-120MB/sec locally or over the gigalan on an INTEL based chipset. when i used the nvidia chipset I saw it bog down to 30-60MB\sec and sometimes unresponsiveness occured. I guess I have just had good luck with intel overall being super fast and reliable, Maybe someone could post their experience with AMD chipsets in context to data transfer speeds.

I guess I have just become an intel fanboy although I still love AMD and want to give them another go sometime in the future.

Do you plan on using on-board sata or a dedicated pci-e sata controller?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King