New Build Check - Asus Deluxe Z170 with Samsung M2 (gen3 x4)

Go to solution Solved by mosin40,

Excuse me up front - I'm new to this forum. Here's the deal -

Planning to build a new PC -

Asus Deluxe z170 w/Skylake 6700K

eVGA 970

Samsung 950 Pro (M2 gen 3 x4)

Samsung 850 - Sata 3

Etc...

Question is - will the boards PCIe lanes support a

GTX 970 using (3.0 X 16) as well as support the new

Samsung 950 Pro (gen 3 x4) in the M2 slot - I know it's not out - but imagine any M2 drive using x4 lanes

I'm a bit confused on how the Z-170 chipset lanes are used.

Will the drive run full speed in the M2 slot? And will this in any way effect the full speed (ie. X16) of the GPU? Ie. Does the motherboard support both these components with no hassles without slowing either component down.

Excuse any silly things I might have missed here & thanks in advance.

Yup, it will, Skylake's pci-e lanes are configured in x20, that means that your gpu and m.2 will run @ full speed (GPU @ x16 and M.2 @ x4)

Edit: @Jimmybiggs don't forget to follow your own posts and welcome to the forums :P

eVGA 970

Samsung 850 - Sata 3

Etc...

Samsung 950 Pro (gen 3 x4) in the M2 slot - I know it's not out - but imagine any M2 drive using x4 lanes

Will the drive run full speed in the M2 slot? And will this in any way effect the full speed (ie. X16) of the GPU? Ie. Does the motherboard support both these components with no hassles without slowing either component down.

eVGA 970

Samsung 850 - Sata 3

Etc...

Yup, it will, Skylake's pci-e lanes are configured in x20, that means that your gpu and m.2 will run @ full speed (GPU @ x16 and M.2 @ x4)

Edit: @Jimmybiggs don't forget to follow your own posts and welcome to the forums :P

Thanks heaps - thought so. But had to be sure before waiting to pour money down the drain on shiny fast gear

Thanks heaps - thought so. But had to be sure before waiting to pour money down the drain on shiny fast gear

No prob, at least you asked before buying, pretty intelligent move to avoid spilling money to the drain :P

No prob, at least you asked before buying, pretty intelligent move to avoid spilling money to the drain :P

Many thanks for the kind welcome & advice... If you ever need to know how to build a 8088 or 286 just holler - Showing my age

eVGA 970

Samsung 850 - Sata 3

Etc...

cpu has 16 lanes, z170 chipset has 20 lanes. Total combine lanes is 36. cpu lanes goes to gpu so you can run SLI in x8/x8 and 20 lanes goes to your pcie ssd and other devices through out the board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list