Sony hints the possiblity of not making portable console - PS Vista might the last one

GoodBytes

Sony always had a big problem in pushing sales of its portable gaming console. Unable to compete with the juggernaut Nintendo, and now with the smartphone market, while Nintendo still goes string due to it's low cost, durable, games optimized experience for stop and go playing, Sony got severely hurts.

3a6c5b4ddccd4903b9a841a71421151e.jpg

In the recent years we see Sony no longer giving support with interesting first party games on the PSVista game console, and new titles for the system is dwindling down an already weak numbers. Comments made by Sony's Shuhei Yoshida suggests that such a successor may not appear. Maybe in the future if portable gaming does resurgence, but possibly the PS Vista might be the last handheld console from Sony for a while.

He says in an interview with Eurogamer

People have mobile phones and it's so easy to play games on smartphones, and many games on smartphones are free, or free to start. Touch-based games are fun - there are many games with really good design. But having sticks and buttons make things totally different. So I hope, like many of you, that this culture of playing portable games continues but the climate is not healthy for now because of the huge dominance of mobile gaming.

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2015/09/28/sony-hand-held-gaming-exit/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bit-tech%2Fall+%28bit-tech.net+feed%29

Image source: http://www.gameskinny.com/yclfi/15-best-ps-vita-exclusive-games

i just want a portable ps3, is that too much to ask? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

i just want a portable ps3, is that too much to ask? 

Well the CPU is quite a bit more powerful than anything found in current mobile devices....so yes that would probably be asking too much. Now if it was a portable Pisspoor, that would be more manageable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It makes me sad, the Vita is fantastic, one of the best hand held gaming devices I have owned 

I think Sony would LOVE to continue making handhelds, but if nobody wants to buy them, its a waste of time and money for them developing a platform nobody wants to buy

me sad

What sony should have done with the Vita

-Cheaper memory cards

-Cheap PS1 games - like 99p £1.99 

-More PS2 conversions - MGS 2+3 were fantastic ports!

-More crossplay / use vita as controller etc

-Better remote play options to support all games

-more 1st party devs to make vita games (less half assed budget games)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well the CPU is quite a bit more powerful than anything found in current mobile devices....so yes that would probably be asking too much. Now if it was a portable Pisspoor, that would be more manageable.

whats a pisspoor? and i dont care if ends up being bulky to stuff battery in i just want to play the last of us on my way to school 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

whats a pisspoor? and i dont care if ends up being bulky to stuff battery in i just want to play the last of us on my way to school 

PS4=Pispoor, think of the Xbox One=Xbone.....both are shit consoles compared to previous generations-they aren't even "next gen".

PMSL

PS4=Pispoor, think of the Xbox One=Xbone.....both are shit consoles compared to previous generations-they aren't even "next gen".

hmmm, i wouldnt agree that this gen is shitty... its just that people keep comparing them to pcs and they are not pcs they are consoles. they are their own league.

We;; mobile phone GPUs have crossed the 400GFLOP mark, so i am not surprised 

Sony is now focusing on their Z-series for gaming as they are very powerful gaming devices now (especially the Z5 Compact) 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

hmmm, i wouldnt agree that this gen is shitty... its just that people keep comparing them to pcs and they are not pcs they are consoles. they are their own league.

I agree, and the fact that people expect a jump from 16-bit gaming 2D world to 3D gaming in terms of distance, while in reality we start to see a diminishing return where we need even more power to really show a visual impact. As game developers tries to do this, they sacrifice fps and resolution. The WiiU on the other hand doesn't come close to the performance of the PS4 and XBox One, yet it has a wonderful selection of AAA games in 1080p 60fps, actually more than 1080p, as it needs to drive the 720p controller screen as well if the game screen isn't cloned.

That's a shame.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Instead of learning from their mistakes they pout and leave their portable gaming devices to die (PSP, Xperia Play and now the Vita).

UMDs were a flop and impractical. No one likes overpriced, proprietary memory sticks. Same goes for overpriced, half-assed games and especially crappy ports (~50€ for the most expensive ones), and the overpriced device itself (here it was 250€ or so for the Wifi version and 300€ for the 3G version).

The concept of the Vita was great and had  - at least in my opinion - the upper hand compared to the 3DS (2 decently sized analog sticks, more power and with Android as the base for their OS far more possibilities for the community). But no, don't listen to your customers. How could they possibly know what they want.

It is not really suprising. 3DS has far better exclusives than PSVita had. Unless Sony actually got some good games (such as bringing the sony version of super smash bros onto it), they really had no chance in the mobile console market. 3DS dominates with Fire Emblem (despite it feeling a bit lacking compared to before), Monster Hunter, Smash Bros., Pokemon, etc. Regardless of what they do with a new mobile console, without actually getting good games, it cannot be as appealing as the 3DS.

If they tried the Xperia Play concept again, that would work out brilliantly. Bet they'll never think to do it, though.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

I'm not surprised, but I'm a little sad. I love my Vita and it has some great games on it alongside a large library of older games for the PS1,PS2, and PSP. I think Shadow Captain got it pretty much perfectly: the memory cards are required and way overpriced compared to just having a normal SD card slot or appreciable internal storage, and those older games which could be a nice draw aren't exactly cheap when compared against the smartphone market, especially when they can often be emulated very well even on those same smartphones.

I really wish Monster Hunter was on the Vita though, playing MHFU with the dual sticks is WAY better than the 3DS options.

Good, the Vita is flat out terrible and Sony hasn't supported it in the NA market for awhile now.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Imagine if Nintendo acted like sony and stopped trying to push the 3DS during it's launch when they received poor sales due to the lack of games and all they could do while waiting to launch super mario 3D was gives gba games (ambassador program). Sony did nothing to push the Vita, they can only blame themselves for this failure to that had the overpriced memory cards

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I can compare older consoles to PC of the same age, and they either match ones that are more expensive, or they outright flog them. And when you get down to the components, they actually are PC. The "next gen" consoles utterly fail to match PC which cost the same, let alone those that are more expensive.

PMSL

Good for Sony. Sometimes its better to admit your failures and move onto the next thing. Sony should continue with what they did with the ps4 giving gamers a powerful machine at an excellent price along with great games.

I have wasted 250€ on a useless, good-for-nothing piece of shit device.

At first I loved it because of watching my favorite anime on it and playing FIFA Sucker. But fuck Sony for their proprietary memsticks!

32GB for 100€, are they out of their fucking mind????????????????????????????????????????

SDXC would have have been a much better solution! Now it's a forgotten piece of trash stinking pile of dog turds!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

the PSVista

Are you wise-cracking on purpose?  Such as "Vista" was the worst version of Windows, and calling the PlayStation Vita "Vista" instead?

Good for Sony. Sometimes its better to admit your failures and move onto the next thing. Sony should continue with what they did with the ps4 giving gamers a powerful machine at an excellent price along with great games.

True, but their portable gaming market is pretty much dead, considering that phones such as the Z5 Compact have almost double the GPU power of a PS3, and considering that their high end phones now have PS4 Remote Play 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

If they tried the Xperia Play concept again, that would work out brilliantly. Bet they'll never think to do it, though.

I'm pretty sure they will never make another Xperia play when they come up with this some months ago:

GCM10-Game-Control-Mount-gallery-02-1240

I actually tried it with my Z2, streaming from my PS4 and is pretty good. 

Yeah there's a bit of lag, couldn't play something like street fighter with it, or anything else that requires lightning fast reflexes, but most games made now are not like that so it works fine.

Mystery is the source of all true science.