So about those 21:9 1440p 100hz monitors...

Merranza

I'm really, really torn...

I have a decent gaming rig (i7 4790k, 16gb RAM, GTX 980) which I built a few months ago. I'm still running on a very old LG 24 inches 1680x1050 which is the next step of my upgrade.

I've already ruled out 4k for many reasons mainly the required ressources to run 4k at acceptable performances and the 60hz max refresh rate. I personally think 4k@ 100hz+ decent performance will come at the end of Pascal chip (like the equivalent of the 9xx series with the Pascal chip) which is probably 2-3 years from now.

I was really looking at those 1440p 144hz 16:9 monitors until, like most who are looking for a new monitor, I stumbled on those 21:9 1440p displays... One of the main reflexion I had while looking at 27' 1440p 16:9 monitors was that they were amazing resolution/refresh rate wise but still only 3 inches bigger than my 10 years old LG. 21:9 brings the best of both world with a really nice resolution and a big step in size. Now the refresh rate dilemma...

I know there have been some threads already on the subject but I'm curious to know what you guys are planning to do with that 100hz limit that comes with DP 1.2.

I usually keep my monitors for a very long time. Everything else gets upgraded and my monitor usually survives another full generation before being changed. On top of it, those 21:9 monitors are over a grand which reinforces the fact I'll keep it for a while for sure.

With that old LG monitor, any current monitor will be a major upgrade for sure. My current GTX 980 will probably not push a 21:9 1440p over 100 fps but if I SLI or eventually upgrade to a Pascal card, I expect to come very close to it or even finally break the 100 fps barrier and I have that feeling I'll regret not waiting for a 21:9 144hz monitor.

Am I putting too much emphasis on that 100hz vs 144hz?

I consider my options as follow:

-Grab a 21:9 1440p IPS 100hz G-SYNC monitor and not worry about the 144hz? (enjoying a new screen really soon either x34 or pg348q :))
-Grab a 16:9 1440p IPS 144hz G-SYNC monitor or any intermediate monitor until a 21:9 1440p over 100hz comes onto the market? (costly...)
-Wait for the next gen of monitors and grab either a 21:9 monitor (1440p or higher) that will be able to exceed that 100hz current limitation and eventually upgrade to next gen vid card? (not sure when those screens will come out.)

What do you think? (or in other words, shame on you DP 1.2 for not being able to squeeze in a few more hz :))

Are you putting to much emphasis, probably, but more so on 21:9 you should probably focus on the picture quality,(gamma, contrast ect) over the 21:9 unless you have used it and see a massive experience increase, now for the hz thing make sure the picture quality is good on the one you choose 144hz vs 100hz is not as big a difference as 60hz vs 100hz, but ghosting and other visual issues would be noticeable if the monitor is not up to snuff, so look into the picture quality of the monitor you chose.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Thank you for your reply.

I've heard some pretty bad reviews on that X34... namely very visible light bleeding.

I'm waiting on Asus' answer and reviews that will come with it.

Don't you need to have the game running at and above 144fps to get the 144hz? Would be a complete waste for Arma/DayZ.

To get the full benefit of 100hz+, yes you need more than 100 fps. Gsync/freesync match your fps to the refresh rate of your screen to remove any tearing and visual disturbance. My understanding is if you push more or less fps than the monitor can refresh, Gsync will match those to remove tearing.

So for now, even a 100hz would not get me full benefits with my current system. I'm just trying to make a smart choice considering I want to avoid spending over/close to a thousand bucks and then having to upgrade in 2 years.

My understanding is if you push more or less fps than the monitor can refresh, Gsync will match those to remove tearing.

GSync is effectively VSync when your GPU pushing more FPS than your monitor refresh rate,

it will tune your monitor refresh rate to be the same as your FPS between 60Hz - Max refresh rate,

and set your monitor refresh rate double to the FPS produced, if it dipped below 37 fps or so.

-------------

One Caveat with these GSync/ Freesync monitors :

Assuming you will keep your monitor longer than your periodical GPU upgrade, your next GPU upgrade will become brand-bounded.

If you are going to grab GSync monitor and you decide in next iteration you will be using AMD, You most likely can't take advantage of the GSync. 

Same case with picking Freesync monitor now and decide that NVidia will be your next card;

although it's slightly more likely NVIDIA to make use of Freesync, it's still unlikely.

-------------

Higher refresh rate definitely useful though.

People said the difference going from 60Hz to 75Hz is the most noticable, 75Hz to 100Hz less noticable, and going to 120Hz/ 144Hz is even less noticable.

Thank you for your reply.

I've never had the opportunity to use a 100hz or 144hz monitor. I know the perception differs largely from one individual to another.

One thing for sure, I won't pull the trigger before Asus' pg348q is released and reviewed. Since that won't happen before the beginning of next year, it still gives some time to get more reviews on the existing models and maybe some more insight on the implementation of DP 1.3.

Since Acer is probably hurting Asus with the quick release of their X34, wouldn't it be fantastic if the delay announced by Asus was to release a DP 1.3 monitor and take everybody by surprise :) Ah dreaming is marvelous :)

Are you putting to much emphasis, probably, but more so on 21:9 you should probably focus on the picture quality,(gamma, contrast ect) over the 21:9 unless you have used it and see a massive experience increase, now for the hz thing make sure the picture quality is good on the one you choose 144hz vs 100hz is not as big a difference as 60hz vs 100hz, but ghosting and other visual issues would be noticeable if the monitor is not up to snuff, so look into the picture quality of the monitor you chose.

21:9 IS everything. If you have tried it that is.

If you actually have any experience to know what you are talking about you`ll know that 21:9 is the only aspect ratio that matters for desktop gaming.

There are only two resolutions that you can game on currently - 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 - everything else might as well not exist and any specs it carries are irrelevant.

21:9 IS everything. If you have tried it that is.

If you actually have any experience to know what you are talking about you`ll know that 21:9 is the only aspect ratio that matters for desktop gaming.

There are only two resolutions that you can game on currently - 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 - everything else might as well not exist and any specs it carries are irrelevant.

CSGO pros commonly use 4:3 ratio so your first comment is invalid, I do agree 4k shouldn't really exist though with current tech barriers and the fact that it is unecessary in most cases

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

CSGO pros commonly use 4:3 ratio so your first comment is invalid, I do agree 4k shouldn't really exist though with current tech barriers and the fact that it is unecessary in most cases

X is related to Y. Therefore your color "magenta" is invalid.

I cant wait for 5120x2160 monitors. Thats gona be the shit! ... if they make a f/a/g sync atleast90hz version of it that is.

X is related to Y. Therefore your color "magenta" is invalid.

I cant wait for 5120x2160 monitors. Thats gona be the shit! ... if they make a f/a/g sync atleast90hz version of it that is.

What's your point, you said "21:9 is the only aspect ratio that matters for desktop gaming" which is an absolute statement and I gave a counter example that disproves your statement, If you make an absolute statement It has to always be true otherwise it is not absolute and is therefore incorrect. Using your example it's like saying everything I've seen is magenta therefore magenta is the only color, and I replied with blue is also a color so your argument is invalid.

What's your point, you said "21:9 is the only aspect ratio that matters for desktop gaming" which is an absolute statement and I gave a counter example that disproves your statement, If you make an absolute statement It has to always be true otherwise it is not absolute and is therefore incorrect. Using your example it's like saying everything I've seen is magenta therefore magenta is the only color, and I replied with blue is also a color so your argument is invalid.

miss-the-point.png