Graphics card overclocking.

mono

So i have my Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD GTX 660 OC edition and i want to push it further. Currently with it's stock settings under load it goes 50-55 celsius MAX. What software would you guys recommend for overclocking and what software to test the stability? Maybe someone here has the same card and could share their results with this card. I've never dealt with GPU overclocking before. Any advice for me?

MSI Afterburner

30 minutes of Heaven Benchmark

3dMark 2013

3dMark11

So i ran tests. Got 1100 Mhz base on core and 1551 Mhz (3000 Mhz actual) on Memory. Without adjusting any other settings (voltage and power limits).

I've heard that pushing more voltage on the GPU degrades it, that true?

EDIT: It ran benchmarks without crashes or anything, but now when i tried Far Cry 3 on Ultra the game crashed. That crash is an unstable overclock or just the game itself?

So i ran tests. Got 1100 Mhz base on core and 1551 Mhz (3000 Mhz actual) on Memory. Without adjusting any other settings (voltage and power limits).

EDIT: It ran benchmarks without crashes or anything, but now when i tried Far Cry 3 on Ultra the game crashed. That crash is an unstable overclock or just the game itself?

Depends if you want your card to last 10 years or 5 years.

Yeah its unstable. The best way to test is to play a poorly written game like MW3 or Minecraft, or any console port. I guess FC3 would work fine for this.

dude you can't expect to get any result if you don't give the card more power, nv made a change this year, banned overvolting, but gave you the option to increase cards power limit so it can give you an overclock on a given voltage, it's safer than overvolting, but limits how high can you go with your overclock, open the power limit and see what your card can do, your card should last a lot longer than an overvolted card

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Thanks for the replies. I increased the power limit to the maximum and it was all fine, watched the graphs atfer it and understood everything why it crashed - the power consumption was 105%. This for me is basically a preperation for the Crysis 3, that will most likely not run very well even with the overclock... Hope to atleast High not Ultra settings. Far Cry 3 ran fine at about 40-50 fps on Ultra - before i couldn't do that, it would be around 20-30 fps (unplayable).

EDIT: Actually Afterburner allows me to change the voltage, i can increase it 100 mV.

y you can do that, but there will be no true benefit, the increase is too low anyway

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Make sure to keep track of your temps and also be weary that too much voltage may decrease the life of your GPU. Not sure about requirements of crysis 3 but it is not average fps that matters, rather it is minimum fps as those are the ones that you notice. You can use afterburner to monitor the minimum fps and make a decision if your card is suitable or not.

Hey guys i have a question i was about to post on the forum it's related to overclocking, increasing the power limit will allow me to overclock my gpu even more ?

Basically. If you increase the power limit you should be able to overclock more, though i just got my overclock stable when i did increase it. So you could get a few mhz by increasing it, but not really a lot.

Thanks :) i did increase the power limit and so i was able to add some mhz

As far as I have seen, raising the power limit (nvidia) does not do anything except to prevent the card from the downclock that will occur if it reaches the board TDP (which it never does without overvolting).

Hey guys i am going to buy msi HD7850 power Edition GFX . What if i overclock more. than it is Already Will it void any kind of warranty And what PSU i will need if i overclock it

My Rig Is Core i5 3550 (Stock) Gigabyte b75 Mobo 8 gb ram 1600 mhz Please Reply as soon as possible

Hey guys i am going to buy msi HD7850 power Edition GFX . What if i overclock more. than it is Already Will it void any kind of warranty And what PSU i will need if i overclock it My Rig Is Core i5 3550 (Stock) Gigabyte b75 Mobo 8 gb ram 1600 mhz Please Reply as soon as possible

It will not void warranties because it is undetectable. But read guides for that GPU if you can set voltage so that you don't set a stupid voltage.

500w psu would be fine.

Hey guys i am going to buy msi HD7850 power Edition GFX . What if i overclock more. than it is Already Will it void any kind of warranty And what PSU i will need if i overclock it My Rig Is Core i5 3550 (Stock) Gigabyte b75 Mobo 8 gb ram 1600 mhz Please Reply as soon as possible

It will not void warranties because it is undetectable. But read guides for that GPU if you can set voltage so that you don't set a stupid voltage.

500w psu would be fine.

ok but 500 w Psu would suffice if i overclock this GPU to its Last ???

Guys, try not to touch the power setting of your cards unless you have to, like if your getting system crashes etc, just try pushing up your gpu clock and memory clock a little in baby steps, also dont push your gpu right to the max as it will just burn out