Building your own router

ekuhlmann23

So i want to build my own router. I have to pcs i could use, one with a haswell i3 but i need to leave windows on that so i think maybe a vm or something like that and an old pentium 4 pc which has nothing installed so i could install pfsense. The advantages of the i3 is obioiusly its faster and has better but also has more expandability for the networks cards i am going to be using. My question is: which pc should i use and which espansion cards should i get? I will probably need one for wired conection and a wireless one too.

the most important thing to remember is to fry 3 mobos and a cpu to be successful with the project

Don't forget spending ages 3D Printing cooling components and making a two part video out of it all :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

the most important thing to remember is to fry 3 mobos and a cpu to be successful with the project

Don't forget spending ages 3D Printing cooling components and making a two part video out of it all :D

Also tell the public that they have no idea what they are talking about and later admit that they were right.

Also tell the public that they have no idea what they are talking about and later admit that they were right.

Very true :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Lol I really appreciate your helpful answers.

No problem. Just make sure to follow these steps precisely.

Use the P4 and get another ethernet card. And a wireless card if you want, but I suggest you rather use an actual access point or wifi router.

i3 is overkill. Unless you are running a 1gbps link, in which case get a 24 core Xeon. Make that 4 Xeons E7. Oh and 6x10Gbps SFP+ NICs. Just in case.

So i want to build my own router. I have to pcs i could use, one with a haswell i3 but i need to leave windows on that so i think maybe a vm or something like that and an old pentium 4 pc which has nothing installed so i could install pfsense. The advantages of the i3 is obioiusly its faster and has better but also has more expandability for the networks cards i am going to be using. My question is: which pc should i use and which espansion cards should i get? I will probably need one for wired conection and a wireless one too.

If you want to do this the only real advice I can give is to not run a VM, ensure the networking OS is the only OS running. Virtualizing a router will induce a lot of extra delay as everything will be store-and-forwarded with processor based switching. This can be avoided by just not using a VM.

If you want to do this the only real advice I can give is to not run a VM, ensure the networking OS is the only OS running. Virtualizing a router will induce a lot of extra delay as everything will be store-and-forwarded with processor based switching. This can be avoided by just not using a VM.

Aye I said this above. Also think about power consumption of your parts (esp idle power) as it is going to be on 24/7/365. This is why I went with an intel Atom (8 cores @ 20W TDP)