Best 3D 120Hz monitor

Z-machine95

What's the best monitor between Asus VG278H and BenQ XL2420T? I'm looking for a good gaming experience in 3D mainly but even in non 3D 120Hz....

Asus VG248QE > VG278H.

Either way between the asus I mentioned and the BenQ its tough, the Asus is new and reviews haven't been out for it yet, but spec wise it should be the best.

My Samsung t240HD just died, so I bought a Asus VG248QE. its comming monday / Tuesday, I let you know what I think. if you havent bought something yet.

hope I wont miss the 1920x 1200 :(

Samsung S27A950D is the best 120Hz monitor on the market IMO but is incompatible with Nvidia's 3D surround so not a great 3D solution. 2D 120Hz performance is amazing though and the color reproduction is the best of any TN panel I've ever seen...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the S27A950, not the cheapest one out there, bought one a couple of monts ago, never looked back =) Compelety agree on the color reproduction, personally i'd never sacrifice the "snappiness" of the 950, for the extra colors vibrance of the IPS panels.

• 4 weeks later...
My Samsung t240HD just died, so I bought a Asus VG248QE. its comming monday / Tuesday, I let you know what I think. if you havent bought something yet.

hope I wont miss the 1920x 1200 :(

Have you tried it? How is it?

I can buy the vg248qe for 290-300 € and the benq for 350-360 €...... The best for you is the asus... Have you any review or site where there's a comparison between this 2 monitor... I think that the 144hz doesn't matter... I have a gtx 670dcii i can push battlefield 3 at 110-120 fps... But i think that 24 fps more don't change so much... Maybe the response time 1 ms gtg for the asus and 2 ms for benq, but benq has ama and instant mode... And even linus in his review says that is one of the best, in 3d or no 3d.... I think that for features and performance the best is the benq... Maybe the colors aren't the best but tweaking the profile, as prad.de guys has done, can be a fix for it..... I think i'll wait for linus vg248qe review...

I really enjoy the BenQ XL2420... can't say whether or not it's the "best" monitor, but I love it.

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoy the BenQ XL2420... can't say whether or not it's the "best" monitor, but I love it.
this is enough for me... i'll buy it soon thanks!!!!!

Could anyone recommend a cheap 120Hz panel? I don't need it for 3D(I know it's going to come with it anyway) but I need it for fast FPS gameplay. My current graphics card can push frames in the game to 200fps but im stuck with a 75Hz monitor that I overclock. Thanks in advance.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Could anyone recommend a cheap 120Hz panel? I don't need it for 3D(I know it's going to come with it anyway) but I need it for fast FPS gameplay. My current graphics card can push frames in the game to 200fps but im stuck with a 75Hz monitor that I overclock. Thanks in advance.
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 )

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I personally own a Benq Xl2420T, and its great for gaming; also known as one of the best in the market as for 120hz gaming monitors.

And, I just ordered an Asus VG248QE, which just came out like a month ago, and it's 144hz. (coz the old Samsung monitor died)

Overall, i think VG249QE has better value, since its the latest monitor from asus, and costs $300 for 144hz.

On the other hand, Benq is kinda overpriced, since it sponsors MLG. However, you wont go wrong with it.

Both are great picks, but final decision is yours.

My Beast Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930K | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Case: Corsair 800D | Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Formula RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 1866hz | GPU: 2x Asus DC2T Gtx680 Top Edtion Sli PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256G SSD + Seagate 3TB Harddrive Monitors: Asus VG248QE 144hz | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX  Headphones: AKG Q701 + K702 65th Anni Edition 

Thanks for the suggestion but that is over 900 bucks when converted to my currency... but thanks anyway..

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally benq came with his 27" display.. XL2720T is came out... So because i haven't already got the 2420t i repeat the question...

there are pretty much the same features... I decided not to go with 3d.... I can purchase the XL2720T at 499€.... Anyone can help me to decide... I think a 27" display is better than a 24"... The dot pitch is what i'm not so sure.. 0.311 for 27" and 0.278 for the 24".... 100€ more are good for a larger monitor?

Z-machine95, if you're not going with 3D, and want  27" monitor, then get an IPS panel unless you really want the response time of a TN panel. Also, at 27", you might also want to give the 1440p/1600p resolution a look.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Z-machine95, if you're not going with 3D, and want  27" monitor, then get an IPS panel unless you really want the response time of a TN panel. Also, at 27", you might also want to give the 1440p/1600p resolution a look.

Yes i know about color reproduction of tn panel.. But mainly i want to game.. So i definitely want a 120 hz monitor... My doubt are maily for dot pitch of the 27"..... Can you tell me for you what's the best choice between xl2420t and xl2720t... The difference of price is 100€... The problem of 27" is that fullhd isn't enough, and so this mean more AA.... Tell me the best choice

Well, finally benq came with his 27" display.. XL2720T is came out... So because i haven't already got the 2420t i repeat the question...

there are pretty much the same features... I decided not to go with 3d.... I can purchase the XL2720T at 499€.... Anyone can help me to decide... I think a 27" display is better than a 24"... The dot pitch is what i'm not so sure.. 0.311 for 27" and 0.278 for the 24".... 100€ more are good for a larger monitor?

I'm not sure if you being out of the U.S.A. will stop you from getting the XL2720T but Tigerdirect has it in stock http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7894360&CatId=5469 just a head up just in case you can bro

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Z-machine95, if you're going to use the monitor from about 2.5 feet away (average), you won't really notice the difference in dot pitch till you're looking for it, especially when you're busy running around a game, so go for the 27" if you want to! To answer your question, if I were choosing between the 24 and the 27, I'd go for the 24 mostly because I don't like AA and I think 1080p is a sweet spot for 23 to 24" monitors, not 27".

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

Z-machine95, if you're going to use the monitor from about 2.5 feet away (average), you won't really notice the difference in dot pitch till you're looking for it, especially when you're busy running around a game, so go for the 27" if you want to! To answer your question, if I were choosing between the 24 and the 27, I'd go for the 24 mostly because I don't like AA and I think 1080p is a sweet spot for 23 to 24" monitors, not 27".

Thanks... I'm very close to the monitor.. Less than 2 foot so i don't know... The problem is that with 27" you have a bigger screen.. So depends if you want image quality or big screen ( but if i have to activate anti-aliasing i can't achieve 120fps i have only a gtx 670). Another thing is thst i use a lot after effects, premiere and photoshop so i'll have a better view with them with the 27 one.... I don't know .... Depends even for the money.. I must buy it in italy.. When usually things cost so much more than in usa...

Thanks... I'm very close to the monitor.. Less than 2 foot so i don't know... The problem is that with 27" you have a bigger screen.. So depends if you want image quality or big screen ( but if i have to activate anti-aliasing i can't achieve 120fps i have only a gtx 670). Another thing is thst i use a lot after effects, premiere and photoshop so i'll have a better view with them with the 27 one.... I don't know .... Depends even for the money.. I must buy it in italy.. When usually things cost so much more than in usa...

Ah I would really really recommend a higher resolution IPS panel (Dell's offering is excellent) now that you've said you use a lot of Adobe's Creative Suite stuff, but you've already said no to that :(

Anyway, you seem you really want the 27". Get it, don't worry too much about it. FXAA doesn't have that much of a performance hit if you need it anyway :)

Ah I would really really recommend a higher resolution IPS panel (Dell's offering is excellent) now that you've said you use a lot of Adobe's Creative Suite stuff, but you've already said no to that :(

Anyway, you seem you really want the 27". Get it, don't worry too much about it. FXAA doesn't have that much of a performance hit if you need it anyway :)

Yes i work sometimes with adobe, but mainly i want it for gaming and an ips panel isn't good for it, then as you said fxaa or txaa are a good alternative without strong impact in performance... Thanks for your replies dude :)

At 1080p with a TN panel, I would stick with the 24 inch monitor if you go the BenQ route.  I own a XL2420T, and while I love it, the color can distort a bit on one side if I am looking at it from an oblique angle.  I mainly do that while web browsing, not really in a game.  I imagine this effect would be even more pronounced on a 27 inch screen.

On the flip side, I LOVE the 120Hz.  The responsiveness of the monitor is fantastic, especially with instant mode on (although sometimes that has to be reset as it can cause subtle ines to appear on the screen sometimes).  I would definitely recommend it.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

anything from asus or benq is awesome

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

sure... it's true even

At 1080p with a TN panel, I would stick with the 24 inch monitor if you go the BenQ route.  I own a XL2420T, and while I love it, the color can distort a bit on one side if I am looking at it from an oblique angle.  I mainly do that while web browsing, not really in a game.  I imagine this effect would be even more pronounced on a 27 inch screen.

On the flip side, I LOVE the 120Hz.  The responsiveness of the monitor is fantastic, especially with instant mode on (although sometimes that has to be reset as it can cause subtle ines to appear on the screen sometimes).  I would definitely recommend it.

yes it's true and i think i'll buy the XL2420T... thanks for your reply

anything from asus or benq is awesome

that sure