What tools do you need for building a computer?

Vozella
Go to solution Solved by pokechat8978,

I just ordered my computer. How do I find out what toold I will need to put it together?

A screwdriver, and that's literally it.

I just ordered my computer. How do I find out what toold I will need to put it together?

anti static wrist strap

(optional)

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

The average build will really only require a Philips screwdriver.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

anti static wrist strap

That's debatable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

• Screwdriver

Brain

Hands

Pliers can be handy but not essential 

A screwdriver (a Philips one/'regular' one)

Other than that one, nothing is necessary.

Optional is an antistatic wrist thing

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

a screwdriver. as mentioned. and an antistatic wristband if you want to get fancy (you could just ground yourself constantly instead)

That's debatable.

i guess you could touch the psu

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just be away from carpet

My whole apartment is carpet and I don't want to build a computer in a bathroom.

A high quality philips head so you don't wrap the screws is a must.

Optional: Cable ties to keep things nice and tidy.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

My whole apartment is carpet and I don't want to build a computer in a bathroom.

Don't drag your feet on the carpet and constantly ground yourself out with the PSU before you touch any components. I guess you can also stand on a flattened carboard box too though whether or not that makes a difference is debatable.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Cable management you need zip ties and cable tie anchors: http://www.amazon.com/Startech-HC102-Adhesive-Cable-Mounts/dp/B00008VFBE

I've swapped my CPU over a dozen times and the only thing needed to remove my mobo and all that is a  screwdriver.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I only use a phillips head screw driver and pliers 

I'm Comessy, this is my new account

That's debatable.

I think we find ourselves in the perfect venue to do so. Why not? What possible reason other than saving the cost of an energy drink can you provide that off sets the possible loss of a expensive component? If you wear one you're out 5 bucks, no other possible ramifications. If you don't wear one, how ever slight the chance may be, you're out a computer.

So.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I think we find ourselves in the perfect venue to do so. Why not? What possible reason other than saving the cost of an energy drink can you provide that off sets the possible loss of a expensive component? If you wear one you're out 5 bucks, no other possible ramifications. If you don't wear one, how ever slight the chance may be, you're out a computer.

So.

It depends on where you live. I built three PCs without one and everything works fine, but then again, I don't really encounter static electricity. That being said, you can't really feel static electricity if the voltage is below a certain point, and therefore you can shock something without knowing it, so yes it would be the safer option to just use one.

My tools:

A. Magnetized Philips Head Screwdriver

B. Anti-Static Wrist Strap

C. Tray for screws

D. Motherboard Box for testing work bench, storage of all manuals, software, and spare parts

E. Thermal Paste for CPU & Fan

F. Tie Straps & wire cutters

G. Needlenose Plyers, tighten standoffs on case for MB

(That's all the important stuff that comes to mind.)

---

Is it:

A. pre-built completely?

B. pre-built partially, but you want to modify?

C. starting from scratch with parts?

---

Ifixit: (LMG Sponsor): (This website has lots of tools, and guides how to build & repair electronics.)

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PC_Desktop

Ifixit is also a sponsor for LMG, use the discount code to save.

LTT: ULTIMATE Tech Tool Bag - See what Linus & Slick Carry

LTT: Ultimate Value Gaming Build Guide:

LTT: Can you build a 4k gaming PC for under $1000?

LTT: ULTIMATE Build a better $1500 Gaming PC Computer "How To" Guide

Chooser of the Slain

Here

Must Have

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. philips head screwdriver

Good Things To Have

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. anti-static bracelet 

2. needle nose pliers

3. wire ties and wire tie mounts

4. thermal paste 

Pro Budget Gamer (thats not a thing)

just a screw driver, but if you plan to mod the case than you will need a drill and a few saws

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com