Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kermit

x8 vs x16 pins

So I know that a 16x has all the pin going the length of the pci-e slot, but is x8 just half of that? 

I guess my question is: in an x8 slot, is the second half of the slot just a placeholder for the card to sit in? Because I bought a Maximus IV Gene-Z with a bent pin in the x8 slot, but when I got it, the bent pin was at the end of the x8 slot where I don't think a pin should've even been.

Or is there usually a pin at the end of x8 slots?

Yes, the second half is just blank. They do usually have 1 pin in the end, which is not used for anything officially, perhaps just for identification for the motherboard, so it can tell when you have a full length card plugged in.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I know that a 16x has all the pin going the length of the pci-e slot, but is x8 just half of that? 

I guess my question is: in an x8 slot, is the second half of the slot just a placeholder for the card to sit in? Because I bought a Maximus IV Gene-Z with a bent pin in the x8 slot, but when I got it, the bent pin was at the end of the x8 slot where I don't think a pin should've even been.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Posted · Best Answer

Yes, the second half is just blank. They do usually have 1 pin in the end, which is not used for anything officially, perhaps just for identification for the motherboard, so it can tell when you have a full length card plugged in.

I tried unbending that pin, and I think it worked but even if it didn't, will a second 280x still function normally in crossfire with that bent pin?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

I tried unbending that pin, and I think it worked but even if it didn't, will a second 280x still function normally in crossfire with that bent pin?

Unless the pin is bent in a way where it would be contacting a different pin on the card instead, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Unless the pin is bent in a way where it would be contacting a different pin on the card instead, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Great thanks. I should be getting another card after newegg restocks the Tri-X 280x in a billion years. RIP

Great thanks. I should be getting another card after newegg restocks the Tri-X 280x in a billion years. RIP

Cant you try your current GPU in that slot and see if it works?

If that works there should be fine in crossfire too.

Desktop: Corsair RM550x | Ryzen R9 3900X |RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Asus X470-F Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Samsung 830 256GB | 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: Playstation 4 Pro

Cant you try your current GPU in that slot and see if it works?

If that works there should be fine in crossfire too.

I did do that, although I didn't stress test it. It seemed to work fine on just browsing web and watching youtube so I hope it should be almost as good as the x16 slot when I get the second card.