my experience with the pavilion g6 2237us(replacing fan &thermal paste)

FireofDestruction

ok guys now settle down this is going to be a story about the time i replace the thermal paste and fan on a laptop. So a few days ago i get a message saying that

my laptop fan is basically dying i told my mother and went to amazon found a replacement fan and some nice arctic silver 5 to boot. My girlfriend said why don't you

just buy a new laptop...and i replied to her because i don't have another $700 dollars burninga hole in my pocket right this minute. so my mother buys the fan and

thermal compound it arrived around noon today (4 hours ago) i ate some lunch and got to work removing the battery then the back sidescrews,the hard drive,

wireless card and any other visible screws. Now i flipped it back over and started gently prying at the keyboard and then there were more screws to be removed

yay.... i actually broke theplastic piece that holds the keyboard but it still works fine. now i pried the plastic body of the laptop apart reviling the motherboard and i

could see the fan on the other side so i had to remove a few moreconnectors like the main power in and i scrub off that old compound after struggling to get the

board to come out and the back plate off mostly because hp decided to apply an adhesive to the back plate....likewhut why is that there. The fan was connected to

the single heatpipe by two screws and a bit of metal, so i unscrewed them and put the new fan in its place then applied the arctic silver to the cpu(i3 3110M) and

started to put the laptop back together which took me like 10 minutes and i managed to plug in every single connector execpt for the fan i just replaced so i got to

do  everything  above again just to plug in thefan and afterward man was it rewarding to see the temperatures unfortunately i don't have any pictures but before

when i was sitting doing nothing with the laptop it would sit at 40-44C now it it sits at 34-37cand no more overheating/ fan dying messages either... woot laptop

saved. sorry i felt like sharing this because i didn't have to send it back to HP(needed it for my flight in 1 week to my GF's house) and deal withtheir crappy

customer support and saved a bunch of money by doing so.

better?

Just a hair haha. The way you break sentences makes it hard to track for people

ok guys now settle down this is going to be a story about the time i replace the thermal paste and fan on a laptop. So a few days ago i get a message saying that my laptop fan is basically dying i told my mother and went to amazon found a replacement fan and some nice arctic silver 5 to boot. My girlfriend said why don't you just buy a new laptop...and i replied to her because i don't have another $700 dollars burning a hole in my pocket right this minute.

so my mother buys the fan and thermal compound it arrived around noon today (4 hours ago) i ate some lunch and got to work removing the battery then the back side screws,the hard drive, wireless card and any other visible screws. Now i flipped it back over and started gently prying at the keyboard and then there were more screws to be removed. yay.... i actually broke the plastic piece that holds the keyboard but it still works fine. now i pried the plastic body of the laptop apart reviling the motherboard and i could see the fan on the other side so i had to remove a few more connectors like the main power in and i scrub off that old compound after struggling to get the board to come out and the back plate off mostly because hp decided to apply an adhesive to the back plate....like whut why is that there.

The fan was connected to the single heatpipe by two screws and a bit of metal, so i unscrewed them and put the new fan in its place then applied the arctic silver to the cpu(i3 3110M) and started to put the laptop back together which took me like 10 minutes and i managed to plug in every single connector execpt for the fan i just replaced so i got to do  everything  above again just to plug in thefan and afterward man was it rewarding to see the temperatures unfortunately i don't have any pictures but before when i was sitting doing nothing with the laptop it would sit at 40-44C now it it sits at 34-37cand no more overheating/ fan dying messages either... woot laptop saved.

sorry i felt like sharing this because i didn't have to send it back to HP(needed it for my flight in 1 week to my GF's house) and deal withtheir crappy customer support and saved a bunch of money by doing so

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Congrats on sorting it out, always nice to learn new things especially with lappy's and in my experience they can be very hit and miss :P