Maximizing SSD Speeds

Jboss
Go to solution Solved by Dimwitted,

Ok. You've got it plugged into the wrong socket. Switch it to Port 0 or 1. This is assuming the Sata III/ 6 is available on your board.

Ok, I looked into it. The problem is that you do not have full SATA III compatibility. This board was one of the first and Intel didn't have anything yet so GB used a Marvell chip to add functionality. As a ver 1.0 device it can't support the fastest drives since they didn't exist. You just have to put up with your current speed until you upgrade your board.

I recently got a new Crucial M500 480GB SSD, the read and write speeds aren't really that high.. about 150-200 mb/s or less in each category. What am i supposed to do to maximize the SSD speeds? I think the program i ran was AS SSD or something like that.

MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev 1.0 from what i know)

SSD: Crucial M500 480GB (Primary)

What i've done so far:

Plugged the SSD into my MB's SATA III port (white port), with a light blue SATA cable.

It is under AHCI.

Did a fresh W7 OS install on the SSD.

Are there SATA III drivers i'm supposed to install or something? BIOS update possibly?

Thanks friends.

Did you enable TRIM?

I looked that up and it people have said that it's enabled automatically, in the case that it wasn't i did the command prompt that enabled it if it wasn't already. Is hibernation and defragmentation something else i should disable?

I looked that up and it people have said that it's enabled automatically, in the case that it wasn't i did the command prompt that enabled it if it wasn't already. Is hibernation and defragmentation something else i should disable?

NEVER EVER EVER enable defragmentation.

YOU NEVER defrag an SSD

NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER.

I produce music!

Can you run Crystal Disk Mark and post the results?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Ok. You've got it plugged into the wrong socket. Switch it to Port 0 or 1. This is assuming the Sata III/ 6 is available on your board.

Ok, I looked into it. The problem is that you do not have full SATA III compatibility. This board was one of the first and Intel didn't have anything yet so GB used a Marvell chip to add functionality. As a ver 1.0 device it can't support the fastest drives since they didn't exist. You just have to put up with your current speed until you upgrade your board.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Ok thanks mang.