Need cheap HTPC - Intel Compute Stick?

Andrew Sh

Hi guys!

I gave my parents my old laptop so they can use it as a HTPC but unfortunately the VGA out connection won't work with their large tv. (They have to use a vga -> HDMI adapter)

So I'm looking to get them a HTPC for streaming videos on youtube, netflix and such.

UPDATED:

My current preference of choice is:

1. Intel Compute stick

2. Gigabyte Brix

I found also that some tablets are capable of 1080p output through HDMI.

I was taking a look at the Linx 7" which is tiny, cheap and capable of 1080p output.

It has pretty much the exact same specs as the above 2.

Any thoughts?

So you want full windows? What about full android ?

You can get things like the Nexus Player for cheap and it will do basically everything windows does, just in a different way. 

EDIT: Best buy has nexus player for half off! Only $50! 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-nexus-player-streaming-media-console-black/2445015.p?id=1219542308629&

It has a remote for controlling it, but you could probably cast from a phone or tablet too. 

For dedicated streaming the Roku can't be beat, picture quality blows a laptop away. Any reason you can't have both?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

A Chromecast with a Tablet is probably the way to go if Youtube and Netflix is the only thing

Raspberry Pi that is streaming from a NAS?

I have a nuc, and it is great as well.

Apple TV works well too if you are only needing netflix, youtube and a few others.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Reason I want to go with a compute stick/brix solution is because my parents aren't the most technical of people and having that as an extra "full computer" would be quite nice to have so say if they want to google something or do something a  dedicated streamer can't do, they dont need to go to another device for it.

I had a look at the Intel Compute stick and it's competitors, doesn't look like it's that bad of a device as a HTPC

My parents are, less than tech savvy as well. I have my mother on a Roku and a galaxy tablet for internet surfing and internet games. Good thing about modern streamers is they are just a controller, the interface is far simpler than something like a laptop. Roku doesn't even need to be turned off.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The brix should work as an HTPC system. If your TV is using a stand, you can even mount it on the vesa mount.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Bump for update.

Added question about Linx tablets?
Cheap tablets with 1080p HDMI output. Worth?

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Reason I want to go with a compute stick/brix solution is because my parents aren't the most technical of people and having that as an extra "full computer" would be quite nice to have so say if they want to google something or do something a dedicated streamer can't do, they dont need to go to another device for it.

I had a look at the Intel Compute stick and it's competitors, doesn't look like it's that bad of a device as a HTPC

To be perfectly honest, if your parents are not tech savvy at all, then a full blown htpc is probably going to confuse the fuck out of them.

I second a Roku box. They have a ridiculously easy to use GUI, and have tons of options and good visual quality.

Htpc for tech newbs is generally not a good idea.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be perfectly honest, if your parents are not tech savvy at all, then a full blown htpc is probably going to confuse the fuck out of them.

I second a Roku box. They have a ridiculously easy to use GUI, and have tons of options and good visual quality.

Htpc for tech newbs is generally not a good idea.

Well a htpc is technically just a weak-ass computer that's used essentially for streaming and such and they're fine with using a pc for normal use.

Reason I want to get a windows machine is for support for all video formats including embedded players. Basically sites that don't have an app or such because much of what they watch is on Russian sites where the movie/show is dubbed in Russian.

I have a Intel PC Stick and do like it.

However there is a revised version coming out Q1 next year that is hdmi powered instead of AC adapter powered.

Well a htpc is technically just a weak-ass computer that's used essentially for streaming and such and they're fine with using a pc for normal use.

Reason I want to get a windows machine is for support for all video formats including embedded players. Basically sites that don't have an app or such because much of what they watch is on Russian sites where the movie/show is dubbed in Russian.

Why not a chromecast? They can just stream their chrome browser to the TV whenever they want. Just 2 clicks away.

Otherwise, im sure the computer stick would work, or pretty much any micro PC these days will handle 1080P HDMI.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If you want a full Windows based PC with something a bit beefier than an Intel Compute Stick, I recommend checking out the HP Pavilion Mini. A bit more expensive compared to the compute stick, but way more versatile - it has WIFI of course, multiple USB ports, HDMI, etc, with a fairly significant processor improvement.

I don't recommend a Chromecast for people who aren't at least a little tech savvy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

any cheap android box (Nexus seems like a good choice) with Kodi on top of it is my choice.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

If they aren't technologically savvy, I'd stay away from a PC as the device -- I'd go with a dedicated streaming device.  I have the FireTV stick (I hate it) and a Nexus Player (love it).  If they want to "google stuff" while watching TV, I'd have them use a tablet.

If they're fairly comfortable with a Windows environment, I'd suggest obtaining the HP Stream Mini 200-010.  Comes with Windows 8, which can be upgraded to Windows 10 (I had to bump the local storage from the included 32GB to 64GB, which was pretty cheap), and I had to replace the utterly useless wireless NIC it came with, but otherwise it's been a great system.  I use mine for Plex Home Theater and playing videos a friend brings over (he always downloads crappy less-than-720p versions), and as a vSphere client system (since my 'primary' gaming / all-around use 'computer' for the house is actually a VM on the ESXi host...

;)

So I've been doing some research.
So the HP Pavilion mini is much beefier BUT costs about £250 on Amazon (can't get that stuff locally here for reasonable prices)

Also, by not so tech savvy, I didn't mean they can't turn on a pc and click the Chrome icon :D Just that getting a new device that needs to be set up and all that wouldn't be the best option especially that it may not support all those embedded video players.

I've been looking into a Linx 810 tablet (refresh of the Linx 8)
8", same specs as intel compute stick, costs only £88 and has HDMI out that can output 1080p video.

Sports a full copy of windows 10.
Also since it's a tablet,  it won't need any keyboard/mouse additions so very cost effective.

Was considering getting myself one too in 10" for Steam game streaming and stuff like Dota2 replay watching on it through the stream :D

I'd disagree with PC environment not being suitable for non-tech savy people.

Win 10 in tablet mode with Kodi and a couple extra useful programs for the olds like skype and some thought put into controller/navigation and you'll be on a winner.

Alternatively you can run full appliance mode versions (linux based) if you only want Kodi and it'll be like using a DVD player.

My GF is not tech savy and I've had a Win7 appliance type mode running XBMC/Kodi for years with very few issues, and she uses it daily on our main TV.

NUC all the way IMO