New Monitor 1440 @ 60 or 1080 @ 144?

Monti

I recently upgraded my system and was looking into a new monitor. I can't decide between 1440p or 1080p 144hz. I have a AMD 390 and a 400 - 450 USD budget. I play mostly single player games (RPG, Strategy) and the only FPS game I play is CSGO (I play at least 6 hours of CSGO a week). I was leaning on the side of 1440 because I don't play fast paced/FPS games. What do you think? Any help is appreciated.  

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

if you play wide map strategy games, i'd go with 1440.

if you could i'd even say DSR up to 4k, but i think that's an nvidia thing. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

144Hz only really has benefit on fast paced games, while in the "more immersive" slower paced experiences, you have more time to look at the individual pixels, and having them be smaller/more of them is really nice.

--

coming from a guy that plays everything between CS:GO and sims 3 :P

I would say 1440p since you only play CS 6 hours a week. Since you only really benefits from 144Hz in FPS's and 6 hours a week is not that much.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

144hz wasnt a very big upgrade imo

g-sync is awesome tho

tried some 1440p monitors for short time, the sharpness was cool but performance trade-off was to big imo i just stayed with 1080p.

144Hz only really has benefit on fast paced games, while in the "more immersive" slower paced experiences, you have more time to look at the individual pixels, and having them be smaller/more of them is really nice.

--

coming from a guy that plays everything between CS:GO and sims 3 :P

I feel that 144hz doesn't have too many use cases outside of gaming and even in gaming I will need a beefy GPU to play at 144hz. What 1440p monitor do you have?

if you play wide map strategy games, i'd go with 1440.

if you could i'd even say DSR up to 4k, but i think that's an nvidia thing. 

AMD has their own DSR. I think it is called VSR but I could be wrong.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

I feel that 144hz doesn't have too many use cases outside of gaming and even in gaming I will need a beefy GPU to play at 144hz. What 1440p monitor do you have?

my monitor setup is an absolute joke to be honest :P

- first off, i have very bad eyesight, so i dont see it if my monitors are blurry. -

my main panel is a samsung s24c450 (1080p60) my parents got a bunch of for their company on a deal, and still paid too much for.

the only thing thats nice about it is the stand.

it runs upscaled to 1440p

my secondary monitor is my old samsung syncmasterb2240, turned vertical.

its a really nice panel, but the 16:10 aspect ratio is kinda off-putting for me. (i have a thing for my main panel being 16:9, dunno why.)

the viewing angles on it are also a joke.

runs upscaled to 1400p (to match the pixels per inch on my main panel)

then comes my third... "disgrace" of a panel...

its a sharp aquos my dad got as a "buisiness gift" and we quickly found out why...

it forgets its settings, is slow as hell, and has input latency beyond even being funny... (the scart inputs have about 2 seconds of latency on them...)

it runs at 1600p to get as close as it can to matching my other panels' pixels per inch, at 59.73 Hz any slower, and it derps up the image, any faster and the input latency goes bananas.

the bright colors on it are nice, but the moment you go dark.. you go black.

as an example, set the forum to night theme. the main black on the background is black (duh) the dark grey background behind posts is the same black. the dark grey of quotes is barely visible, and the light grey looks like an almost black dark grey.

on top of that, the only way i can keep the backlight on (it "auto-regulates" its backlight depending on ambient light) is by having an optical mouse upside down, aimed at the sensor.

it also gets hot to the point the plastic back is warped.

my monitor setup is an absolute joke to be honest :P

- first off, i have very bad eyesight, so i dont see it if my monitors are blurry. -

my main panel is a samsung s24c450 (1080p60) my parents got a bunch of for their company on a deal, and still paid too much for.

the only thing thats nice about it is the stand.

it runs upscaled to 1440p

my secondary monitor is my old samsung syncmasterb2240, turned vertical.

its a really nice panel, but the 16:10 aspect ratio is kinda off-putting for me. (i have a thing for my main panel being 16:9, dunno why.)

the viewing angles on it are also a joke.

runs upscaled to 1400p (to match the pixels per inch on my main panel)

then comes my third... "disgrace" of a panel...

its a sharp aquos my dad got as a "buisiness gift" and we quickly found out why...

it forgets its settings, is slow as hell, and has input latency beyond even being funny... (the scart inputs have about 2 seconds of latency on them...)

it runs at 1600p to get as close as it can to matching my other panels' pixels per inch, at 59.73 Hz any slower, and it derps up the image, any faster and the input latency goes bananas.

the bright colors on it are nice, but the moment you go dark.. you go black.

as an example, set the forum to night theme. the main black on the background is black (duh) the dark grey background behind posts is the same black. the dark grey of quotes is barely visible, and the light grey looks like an almost black dark grey.

on top of that, the only way i can keep the backlight on (it "auto-regulates" its backlight depending on ambient light) is by having an optical mouse upside down, aimed at the sensor.

it also gets hot to the point the plastic back is warped.

That sounds terrible

That sounds terrible

i usually explain it as "DSR, but for the windows desktop"

basicly i have 1.8x the amount of screen realestate i paid for. (or well, didnt pay for, because buisiness gifts xD)

i usually explain it as "DSR, but for the windows desktop"

basicly i have 1.8x the amount of screen realestate i paid for. (or well, didnt pay for, because buisiness gifts xD)

Ha, I would be using VSR on my system but everything gets blurry.

Anything below 23 inches is a fine for 1080, but if you're going larger than that, I would suggest 1440. 

Ha, I would be using VSR on my system but everything gets blurry.

as i said, my vision is terrible, i dont see it :P

other people cringe when they see that 1080p->1600p upscale on my third monitor xD